Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
This is a new(ish) and supremely annoying accounting thing. Basically they're showing all the additions, subtractions, and balances since jan 1 2015. THe math seems to work out right, but the presentation is not straightforward
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:07 pm

The main reason I kept a Pres Plus Card and a Club card was to upgarde my staus from Lifetime Gold to Plat. The ability to book, cancel and redposit without charges was the biggest benifit.
Well that goes away in October. $50 within 60 days..........
Such a rip.
First they take away Club access witout a boarding pass, in two weeks, now this.
There is not much of a reason to keep the card. Just what they wanted.
Kill off the old loyal members.
So Sad...........
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:40 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Ok, I can't seem to find an answer to this via search or older posts in this thread regarding baggage.

I just purchased my first trip in a while where I need to care about the number of checked bags. Naturally, I used my legacy Presidential Plus card to utilize the two free bags per person benefit for my family of 3. However, my confirmation email (and also UA.com reservation summary) shows that only the first bag is free (I'm Silver).

Apparently, at some point in the last few years Chase dropped the free 2x bags benefit down to just 2 people per reservation, according to the summary page here:
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...nefits-new.htm

Does anyone have experience with having >2 people on a single PNR first hand? Really, do 2 of us get 2 free bags, and 1 of us only 1, or are all 3 of us out of luck and only getting 1 bag?

This is going to make a difference to me only in that I didn't use a UA gift cert to buy the ticket in order to make sure the charge went onto the Pres Plus card for the darn bag benefit, whereas I will refund it and use the cert and just ride the *Silver 1 free bag pp benefit otherwise.

TIA,
-CLG
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
The benefit remains at 2 bags for the primary holder and one companion as far as I know. The copyright on the information sheet you linked to is 2016 so it appears that as long as you used your card, you should get 2 bags for 2 passengers on your PNR plus 1 bag for any other passengers on your PNR.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
Originally Posted by dcchili
The main reason I kept a Pres Plus Card and a Club card was to upgarde my staus from Lifetime Gold to Plat. The ability to book, cancel and redposit without charges was the biggest benifit.
Well that goes away in October. $50 within 60 days..........
Such a rip.
First they take away Club access witout a boarding pass, in two weeks, now this.
There is not much of a reason to keep the card. Just what they wanted.
Kill off the old loyal members.
So Sad...........

Let us all write to United to protest this change!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Just got an iPhone 7 plus and added my PP Visa to Apple Pay. It now shows up in Wallet looking just like the real card, whereas on my previous phone and Ms Vandelay's phone it just shows up as a grey generic Visa.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: 1K
Is the PQD waiver for Pplus holders still active for 2017?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BZRORG
No changes have been announced.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BZRORG
Nothing formal has been stated either way yet -- but the general assumption is yes.

The hope is the website will be updated soon after the first of the year.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wish they would give the same PQD waiver for the Club card. After all, it has the same annual fee and club membership.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Wish they would give the same PQD waiver for the Club card. After all, it has the same annual fee and club membership.
I think the PQD waiver is connected to the PQMs that PresidentialPlus card holders receive. It's not a benefit on it own.

Still, it is nice and I am sympathetic to one's desire to have it as a benefit.

Note that the PQD waiver does not apply to the 1K level, just as the PP PQM doesn't count towards 1K qualification.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lensman
I think the PQD waiver is connected to the PQMs that PresidentialPlus card holders receive.
You mean, I believe, the inflexible 'flex-PQM' that come with the card and that are essentially wrthless for quite a few of us. They won't even let us convert them to RDM.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
says so for me.

also somehow i received 1k... vs plat which is what i qualified for.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by brarrr
says so for me.

also somehow i received 1k... vs plat which is what i qualified for.
Last year's (2016) status is valid til end of this month. If you're going to drop to Platinum it will reflect on 2/1.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Here is what the app disclaimer reads today when you tap "Important information about your account" on the account summary page. It appears from this that the PQD waiver is still valid in 2017.

The account summary page also reflects the 4-flight minimum as waived for me, as I have the Presidential Plus card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.