Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP cards 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming years desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old May 2, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by paule123
Just got a mailer from Chase that my Pres Plus annual fee is going from $375 to $450 effective July 2017.
Out of curiosity, what does the mailer look like? A nondescript envelope from Chase that looks like the statement envelope? A glossy black padded envelope that UPS delivers? Something else?

I wonder if it came and I missed it (possible but not likely) or it's still on its way (maybe) or hasn't been sent to me yet because my fee hits in April.

The exemption from PQDs is a very real benefit that I could see them thinking that people should pay more for. When we got the card for $375, PQDs weren't even a gleam in Delta's eye for United to copy!
Old May 2, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
A friend who is also a LT club member with the PP card tells me she received a notification of increase t $450.
I wonder if that was intentional or they simply decided to raise the fee from $375/$395 to $450 and forgot about programming an exception for the $100 lifetime members?
Old May 2, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Two family members received standard business letters in the last week or so indicating the increase to $450. One is a Lifetime UC member and the other is not. The lifetime UC member intends to drop the card if there is no credit given for her Lifetime membership.
I have not received notice yet.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
AMEX Plat doesn't give free primary cDW, though cheaper cards like Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve do.
I don't own a car, so all CC insurance is primary for me as there is no other policy to claim against, but I am troubled by the Amex insurance clause that disallows coverage when someone rents more than 30 days within a 45 day period within 75 miles of each pickup location - that is a non-starter for me.

I might look at the other Chase options especially if the points redemption is now on par with the updated Amex Plat 35% rebate for points bookings.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
Two family members received standard business letters in the last week or so indicating the increase to $450. ....
Now reports in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28270223-post257.html
Old May 5, 2017, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer
Effective July 20, my annual fee increases from the old $395 to $450. Reason: "to standardize terms for cardmembers who have the same type of account."
That is an uber lame reason for raising rates IMO. PP != MPCC
Old May 5, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by edcho
That is an uber lame reason for raising rates IMO. PP != MPCC
+1. Though I think it is a matter of time until they try to convert us all to MPCC.

I am still waiting for my note but my renewal isn't until October. Are the people getting these letters approaching their cc anniversary?
Old May 5, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
+1. Though I think it is a matter of time until they try to convert us all to MPCC.

I am still waiting for my note but my renewal isn't until October. Are the people getting these letters approaching their cc anniversary?
I think not. They are emailing everyone. They are changing the terms (in this case the annual fee) effective this July s if your renewal is after that the new fee will be in place at renewal time. Mine is, I believe, in March and I just received the notice.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I haven't received an email and my renewal data is in Oct as well.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I haven't received an email and my renewal data is in Oct as well.
Mine came in snailmail and arrived yesterday. It's a rather large folded page with your address on the outside and the changes n the inside.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:22 am

Arghhhh....... I just can't wait to get it :rolleyes"

It's going to be a tough decision to make - the CSR is already costing me a bundle, and this card isn't inexpensive either. Often I need 3-6k miles to make it to silver. It's probably still less expensive to keep it than to use the buy up offers that seem to always come.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arghhhh....... I just can't wait to get it :rolleyes"

It's going to be a tough decision to make - the CSR is already costing me a bundle, and this card isn't inexpensive either. Often I need 3-6k miles to make it to silver. It's probably still less expensive to keep it than to use the buy up offers that seem to always come.
I'd get off the treadmill and keep the CSR over this card. But there are other considerations including these:
- Do you want/need a UA lounge membership?
- How much benefit do you really get from UA silver? Is that worth the cost?
- Are you better ff earning UA points for awards or Chase points for use on travel that are effectively a 4.5% rebate?
Old May 5, 2017, 10:21 am

The biggest benefit to being silver is not having to deal with the overseas reps if I have an issue or need information/assistance.

That alone is worth the annual fee.

While I use the lounge, I don't use it that much.
Using CSR for the travel benefits is not such a hot proposition. Some flights just aren't there, and the hotels book as non-qualifying.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using CSR for the travel benefits is not such a hot proposition. Some flights just aren't there, and the hotels book as non-qualifying.
Chase will book air tix for you if you call in. I've done that to book up to W for use with GPUs, for example. No extra cost and the same 1.5c/point redemption. As for hotels I never use Chase for that for the same reason you cite.

Perhaps the CSR isn't the card for you. I certainly wouldn't pay the $450/year for both cards. I'll be dropping my PP card once my annual fee hits. I may even hit 2MM on UA by that point which will render that card pretty much worthless t me anyway.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1k
The biggest benefit to being silver is not having to deal with the overseas reps if I have an issue or need information/assistance.

That alone is worth the annual fee.

While I use the lounge, I don't use it that much.
I thought you had to be Gold or higher to talk to US customer service?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.