Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT

I just posted 75,000 flex PQM, my account already shows Platinum. However, I don't see 2 RPUs I should have gotten.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by MLM JET
I just posted 75,000 flex PQM, my account already shows Platinum. However, I don't see 2 RPUs I should have gotten.
Those will probably hit the account tomorrow. It's typically a separate function from the miles posting.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Please pardon a stupid question. I have silver statuts, and used my PP card to pay fees for reward travel to the Cook Islands (via Air New Zealand). When clicked on the link that displays baggage fees for that flight, it shows 2 free bags on the way out (with one of them saying $100 and being crossed out), and only 1 free bag on the return. This was booked as a round-trip ticket.

Am I correct in assuming I will only get one free bag each way, given this is reward travel? Or is paying the fee on PP enough that I should get 2 bags each way?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinks
Please pardon a stupid question. I have silver statuts, and used my PP card to pay fees for reward travel to the Cook Islands (via Air New Zealand). When clicked on the link that displays baggage fees for that flight, it shows 2 free bags on the way out (with one of them saying $100 and being crossed out), and only 1 free bag on the return. This was booked as a round-trip ticket.

Am I correct in assuming I will only get one free bag each way, given this is reward travel? Or is paying the fee on PP enough that I should get 2 bags each way?
What is the actual operating airline each way. I would assume from what you posted is UA starting out on the way to Cook islands so your PP card gets you 2 free bags. I would assume is a partner that is not *A leaving cook Islands so you would be subject to baggage fees for that airline.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:02 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Baze
What is the actual operating airline each way. I would assume from what you posted is UA starting out on the way to Cook islands so your PP card gets you 2 free bags. I would assume is a partner that is not *A leaving cook Islands so you would be subject to baggage fees for that airline.
I made the same assumption that it was UA outbound, but I was thrown off by the poster's getting a free bag at all on the inbound, unless NZ doesn't have a bag fee. Dunno.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
I made the same assumption that it was UA outbound, but I was thrown off by the poster's getting a free bag at all on the inbound, unless NZ doesn't have a bag fee. Dunno.
Doesn't *A give 1 free bag to *Silver? That would account for the 1 free bag on the inbound and the PP would give the 2 free bags on the outbound if on UA. Only scenario that makes sense to me, unless *Silver doesn't give a free bag and NZ has no fee for first bag.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:17 pm
RNE

Doesn't *A give 1 free bag to *Silver? That would account for the 1 free bag on the inbound and the PP would give the 2 free bags on the outbound if on UA. Only scenario that makes sense to me, unless *Silver doesn't give a free bag and NZ has no fee for first bag.
Possibly. Like I said, dunno. I've never been silver on a United partner.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Thank you, that explains it. The routing is IAH-LAX-AKL-RAR. We leave on UA metal and return on Air New Zealand metal. Travellers on the Lonely Planet forum told me that Air New Zealand allows one free bag internationally, I just didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Last edited by pinks; Jan 4, 2014 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:07 pm

Presidential Plus Card and FPQMs

Hi all,

Been a PP card member for a while now and overall have been happy with it. With the devaluation of being only able to use FPQMs only to premier, and now no longer qualifying for Global Premier Upgrades, the perks for the card has deteriorated significantly.

I have way too many FPQMs to burn, and nothing to use them for. Is there any other use for them, perhaps a family member, etc? I'm obviously still earning miles for my business purchases, but I guess I'm curious whether anybody in similar shoes as me has jumped ship to another credit card?

I guess I'm just trying to make the best of what's out there. At the end of the day, the overall decent availability of reward tickets for me in and out of Newark has me sticking with United, but I'm more and more open to driving to JFK or PHL. For the most part, I travel to NRT, PVG, and HKG internationally, and LAX, LAS domestically.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ichiroll
.... With the devaluation of being only able to use FPQMs only to premier, ...
I think you meant Platinum
.... Is there any other use for them, perhaps a family member, etc? ...
no
....I'm obviously still earning miles for my business purchases, but I guess I'm curious whether anybody in similar shoes as me has jumped ship to another credit card?

I guess I'm just trying to make the best of what's out there.
your dilemma has extensive been discussed by other PresPlus cardholders in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-changes.html
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:15 am
RNE

I have way too many FPQMs to burn, and nothing to use them for. Is there any other use for them, perhaps a family member, etc? I'm obviously still earning miles for my business purchases, but I guess I'm curious whether anybody in similar shoes as me has jumped ship to another credit card? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
When Chase and Continental Airlines introduced it, the salient benefit of the Presidential Plus credit card was its flexible elite qualifying miles. Of course, it also offered club membership but the card's annual fee made that pretty much a wash.

Some cardholders found they accumulated flexible miles faster than they could use them. Sometimes much faster. For a while, the use of those miles counted toward lifetime miles, so many people who had no other use for them used up flexible miles that way. (That option is no longer possible.) Chase and the airline also recognized the limited appeal of flexible miles to some holders of the Presidential Plus card. Therefore, they created an alternative club card that did not earn flexible miles, but instead earned 1.5 bonus miles per dollar spent.

You may want to call Chase and switch to that alternative. However, keep in mind also that if you relinquish the Presidential Plus card you will give up its PQD waiver.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by RNE
However, keep in mind also that if you relinquish the Presidential Plus card you will give up its PQD waiver.
For those of us with FPQMs left but no card, has it been made clear if we have the waiver?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hi all,

Been a PP card member for a while now and overall have been happy with it. With the devaluation of being only able to use FPQMs only to premier, and now no longer qualifying for Global Premier Upgrades, the perks for the card has deteriorated significantly.

I have way too many FPQMs to burn, and nothing to use them for. Is there any other use for them, perhaps a family member, etc? I'm obviously still earning miles for my business purchases, but I guess I'm curious whether anybody in similar shoes as me has jumped ship to another credit card?

I guess I'm just trying to make the best of what's out there. At the end of the day, the overall decent availability of reward tickets for me in and out of Newark has me sticking with United, but I'm more and more open to driving to JFK or PHL. For the most part, I travel to NRT, PVG, and HKG internationally, and LAX, LAS domestically.

I decided I would read the credit card benefits for all my cards (having almost been burned by assuming car rental benefits on one card which turned out not to be available). The Pres. Plus Card has $10k in trip cancellation coverage per person ticketed on the card. I don't buy trip cancellation insurance, and I rarely book travel that is non cancelable, but occasionally I do. I've decided this feature is worth the fee (I have a lifetime membership to the United Club, bought back when it was worth something, so my fee is only $100)

The PDQ waiver will also be worth something to me as I doubt that I will be 1K again.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:48 am
RNE

Originally Posted by njcommodore
For those of us with FPQMs left but no card, has it been made clear if we have the waiver?
Yes. Without having the card you don't have the waiver. FPQMs themselves won't do.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
The CLUB card doesn't waive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.