Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Wow I received the annual flyer from the PP card today and what garbage they value this card now. I remember we used to get an fancy Black shiny bubble mailer with an whole booklet of catalogues (I threw away) but at least it cost them an bit.

Today received an blue envelope instead
Haven't received the regular flyer yet but the black bubble mailer arrived two days ago. I suspect both are mailed differently. Patience might be in order.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:12 pm

I just received a secure message from Chase stating they had updated the rewards program. It appears to be a 2 page document. Has anything substantively changed? Oddly enough it states the changes were made 5/26/2016?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Wow I received the annual flyer from the PP card today and what garbage they value this card now. I remember we used to get an fancy Black shiny bubble mailer with an whole booklet of catalogues (I threw away) but at least it cost them an bit.

Today received an blue envelope instead
I value a card by its benefits, nt by what they send to my mailbox.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:13 pm

Yesterday I transferred 75,000 flex miles to get to platinum status. Plat is showing in my account but I am not seeing my 2 RPUs. Did they change this benefit or does it just take some time for these to be issued?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by be001
Yesterday I transferred 75,000 flex miles to get to platinum status. Plat is showing in my account but I am not seeing my 2 RPUs. Did they change this benefit or does it just take some time for these to be issued?
It just takes some time. I got mine about 10 days after making Plat.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
I got an email from Avis congratulating me on another year of Presidents Club status. Not sure how this has continued; Avis isn't even a partner of MileagePlus anymore and the card has awarded Hertz status instead of Avis for a couple years now, and I didn't have a ton of Avis rentals last year. But I'll take the status and use its benefits for sure anyway!

The next interesting thing is whether to see if the annual fee sticks at $375 or increases; it's held steady for me through the increases and discontinuation in favor of the Club card.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I recently got a new card for an authorized user. It had the globe logo in light grey spread across a grey card. Tday I received a brochure welcoming me to another year of having the card. It displayed the old blue card with a light blue globe set in a square in the middle.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by UAzip
I got an email from Avis congratulating me on another year of Presidents Club status. Not sure how this has continued; Avis isn't even a partner of MileagePlus anymore and the card has awarded Hertz status instead of Avis for a couple years now, and I didn't have a ton of Avis rentals last year. But I'll take the status and use its benefits for sure anyway!

The next interesting thing is whether to see if the annual fee sticks at $375 or increases; it's held steady for me through the increases and discontinuation in favor of the Club card.
Lucky you - appears that I have reverted to being a general member (Avis Preferred) this year...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver

Do you rent a lot with Avis? I only rented with them 5 times an year so they discontinued my PP status april of 2016.

Silvercar and Uber FTW.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Do you rent a lot with Avis? I only rented with them 5 times an year so they discontinued my PP status april of 2016.

Silvercar and Uber FTW.
Surely I did not rent enough to get the Presidents Club renewed, unless maybe one 4-day rental of a full-size SUV was enough to tip the scale among a few midsize rentals. :P

I had trouble a year ago with the Hyatt status benefit not wanting to stick, with Hyatt, Chase, and United passing it back and forth. The Hyatt status from the Pres Plus card became moot with the Hyatt Visa card anyway, the annual fee on it being cheaper than a paid night that I know I need to use every year. So I'm not doing too bad with the benefits of the card overall; the Morton's benefit of the card from long ago has stuck with Landry's for a while, which I don't think was offered as a benefit even before the merger.

I just wonder how long the card itself will last. It isn't the only legacy card that still exists, so for now they seem content to let it ride.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I just wonder how long the card itself will last. It isn't the only legacy card that still exists, so for now they seem content to let it ride.
I suspect for quite some time. Let's face facts - those carrying this card are a) loyal and b) likely large spenders. Those are exactly the customers you'd want.

(And yes I still have the Avis P Club membership - though I do usually have 40-50 Avis rentals annually....)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:57 pm

I still show as an Avis Preferred but not as Avis President Circle as before. In any case
these are my last months with the original CO PP card. I get everything and more with the
AMEX Plat and Chase Sapphire card plus my MMer gives me *Gold and lounge access on Int'l
flights. I don't do domestic since I am In Japan. So I will cancel at the next renewal date.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: Platinum
Looks like I'm Avis Preferred Plus, what ever that means. I only rent a couple of times a year.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Does Chase Presidential Plus card still have a Hyatt benefit?

Could not find this anywhere. Those with Chase PP card - does the card still provide a Hyatt Elite status benefit?

I am getting my new Hyatt status from having a Chase Hyatt CC, but I thought the PP card had a higher level.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cova
Could not find this anywhere. Those with Chase PP card - does the card still provide a Hyatt Elite status benefit?

I am getting my new Hyatt status from having a Chase Hyatt CC, but I thought the PP card had a higher level.
Hyatt has 4 tiers now. I remember back in the day it only have Platinum before diamond when this card was bundled with Plat.

They may only give you the 2nd tier now because the 3rd tier requires 30 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.