Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by edcho

This is (sadly) my longest open card (had it since college). Anyone know what I can convert it to or should I just cut my losses next yr and close the account?
I've not been notified of the 100->450 increase yet but I, too, am wondering what to switch t.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Sad if this is chase's attempt to move folks off the card. I will just move to a non chase card.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:42 pm

my $375 renewal just hit today.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
Unfortunately, I rely on this card to bump me up to Plat every year. I'm typically around 60-70k PQMs and need the FlexPQMs to get me to Plat. I'll probably just hang onto it due to that benefit.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've not been notified of the 100->450 increase yet but I, too, am wondering what to switch t.
+1. But it will not be another Chase card. I find this move for lifetime UC members offensive, and I do not want to give my business to a bank that has attempted to extort me.

I may end up springing for the Amex Platinum card, even at $550. The one thing holding me back is that there are no Amex lounges in the airports which I frequent.

My annual fee does not kick in until November, so I've got time to plan. I may just cancel my PP card and shift that spend onto my AA and Hilton credit cards. I think it might be prudent to hold off on making any decisions until I see what the combined SPG/MR program will look like, and what their (new?) credit cards will look like.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by SS255
I think it might be prudent to hold off on making any decisions until I see what the combined SPG/MR program will look like, and what their (new?) credit cards will look like.
You might be waiting for awhile. The combined SPG/MR program may launch as late as 2019 (so they may announce the details sometime in 2018 if that's the case).
Old May 2, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: United
Lifetime Club Member

I got the mailing yesterday that indicated that the Annual Membership Fee was being "revised" from $100 to $450.

Originally Posted by benjy
Tried to find out if the reduced Pres Plus annual fee for Lifetime Club members has been discontinued by calling Chase. They had no answer.
So I called the Chase number for Presidential Plus to no avail. I explained (several times) that I was a lifetime member of United Club so I had already paid for my Club membership and thus paid a lower rate than the $450 rate charged to someone who was getting their membership as a benefit.

The customer service representative told me that the new rate included "new benefits" but when I asked her what they were she couldn't find them. She said the card was switching to a "new program" but couldn't tell me any more than that. The only option she offered was to reject the change which I said I didn't want to do.

Finally she said that she would have to send my query to United and they would get back to me, by mail, in 7-10 days.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by ckran
I got the mailing yesterday that indicated that the Annual Membership Fee was being "revised" from $100 to $450.

So I called the Chase number for Presidential Plus to no avail. I explained (several times) that I was a lifetime member of United Club so I had already paid for my Club membership and thus paid a lower rate than the $450 rate charged to someone who was getting their membership as a benefit.

The customer service representative told me that the new rate included "new benefits" but when I asked her what they were she couldn't find them. She said the card was switching to a "new program" but couldn't tell me any more than that. The only option she offered was to reject the change which I said I didn't want to do.

Finally she said that she would have to send my query to United and they would get back to me, by mail, in 7-10 days.

I just got charged my $100 annual fee yesterday. Hopefully we can sort out this in the next 364 days!
Old May 2, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by ckran
The customer service representative told me that the new rate included "new benefits" but when I asked her what they were she couldn't find them.
Maybe it's a new "World of Hyatt" discoverist status benefit.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: *G, CO Plat, UA 1P, Etihad Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Can you downgrade or switch to another United Card or do they just close your account as referenced in the letter?
Old May 2, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The only reason I keep this card is for the PQM to use in years where I don't make it to lowly Silver.

If they remove that benefit I'll just trash the card and/or downgrade.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Mary2e
The only reason I keep this card is for the PQM to use in years where I don't make it to lowly Silver.

If they remove that benefit I'll just trash the card and/or downgrade.
That's kind of obvious. There's very little, if any, reason to have the PP card if you don't use the FEQM benefit.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
That's kind of obvious. There's very little, if any, reason to have the PP card if you don't use the FEQM benefit.
FEQM helps at times, but the real benefit is no PQD requirement up through plat IMO. It would be another story for those who easily meet spend requirement.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
FEQM helps at times, but the real benefit is no PQD requirement up through plat IMO. It would be another story for those who easily meet spend requirement.
Agree to both benefits. Since retiring almost three years ago I dropped to PPlat but can easily maintain that on $5k spend plus FEQM. At $75 extra it's still well worth it.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I only kept it for the primary rental car insurance, but I can get the same with my Amex Platinum, along with duplicates of the other benefits - so if the cost goes up, then bye-bye.
AMEX Plat doesn't give free primary cDW, though cheaper cards like Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.