Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:04 am

Thanks all. Saw the language on the site but just wondered if an overnight layover on the same ticket in the same 24 hour period was considered "same day."

Missed the footnote that "connecting airport access" was only available on international itineraries, which does seem to be another strike against it

Guess I'll spend a little more to just stay at the Grand Hyatt and get my extra relaxation there
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:03 pm

United Club or Amex Plat/Priority Pass - ORD and MCO

Hi,
I have a 3+ hour layover in Chicago (ORD) flying UA metal economy class. Should I purchase a United Club Pass or is there a decent lounge available through Amex Plat or Priority Pass? It looks like I'll be arriving in Terminal 1 - Gate B

My return flight is out of MCO, same question. I'll have a couple of hours before departure here. Best lounge prospects? I do not have any airline status.

Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite, JGC Sapphire, ITA Premium, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
There's only one PP lounge in T5 - Swissport Lounge, but it is the WORST lounge you can ever imagine, also the trouble (long security line back and forth) you have to go through is totally not worth it.

United Club in ORD ain't too bad but still not as great as Capital One Lounge/Sapphire Lounge from other airports, etc. I personally wouldn't pay for 59 dollars for one-time access for just 3 hours or so. But I'd rather dine in a restaurant.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by DS52
Hi,
I have a 3+ hour layover in Chicago (ORD) flying UA metal economy class. Should I purchase a United Club Pass or is there a decent lounge available through Amex Plat or Priority Pass? It looks like I'll be arriving in Terminal 1 - Gate B

My return flight is out of MCO, same question. I'll have a couple of hours before departure here. Best lounge prospects? I do not have any airline status.

Thank you.
For MCO, none of the AmEx or Priority Pass lounges are accessible to those departing from the United terminal, unfortunately. Your only option would be to pay for the United lounge.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by bc1280
There's only one PP lounge in T5 - Swissport Lounge, but it is the WORST lounge you can ever imagine, also the trouble (long security line back and forth) you have to go through is totally not worth it.

United Club in ORD ain't too bad but still not as great as Capital One Lounge/Sapphire Lounge from other airports, etc. I personally wouldn't pay for 59 dollars for one-time access for just 3 hours or so. But I'd rather dine in a restaurant.
Originally Posted by SusanDK
For MCO, none of the AmEx or Priority Pass lounges are accessible to those departing from the United terminal, unfortunately. Your only option would be to pay for the United lounge.
Thank you both.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I don't believe that is correct. There should be a "The Club" on the same airside region as the UA gates, but you do have to take the tram back and forth to the other satellite.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by meijiem
I don't believe that is correct. There should be a "The Club" on the same airside region as the UA gates, but you do have to take the tram back and forth to the other satellite.
This is correct, you take the tram back to just past TSA then get on the other tram. The Club is on that side. It is about a 5-10 minute process.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by peoplemover
This is correct, you take the tram back to just past TSA then get on the other tram. The Club is on that side. It is about a 5-10 minute process.
Thank you. I will buy a one time United Club Pass for my 3+ hour layover in Chicago and use Priority Pass access for The Club lounge in Orlando.
I appreciate the replies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by peoplemover
Thanks! Last time I flew UA out of MCO, this was not an option for The Club on the Terminal A side of the airport. The Club on the Terminal B side allowed the shuttling to the opposite side (gates 100-129), but The Club on the Terminal A side did not allow access to the UA gates (gates 30-59).

I've just looked at the description of both Clubs on the AmEx website and indeed they do cite the option to take the tram to the Terminal A Airside 1 area where The Club is located and afterwards tram back to the UA gates. This actually sorts lounge access for my upcoming flight where I was debating getting a UA-branded credit card just to get lounge access, but now I won't have to.

Not for a UA flight, but once when we accessed The Club in Terminal B and then had to tram back to gates 100-129, we were forced to re-clear security but I don't think it is always the case and I don't know if they've resolved this permanently now so that no one has to re-clear security if just switching between trams.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:27 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Lounge Access Question

Hi UA forum,

Might be booking a BOS-IAD-SEA-HND routing soon, with a couple of asterisks.

The BOS-IAD seems like there's a good chance for an upgrade. Also, SEA-HND is operated by NH.

If the upgrade were to clear, is UA lounge access available at all during this itinerary?

Cheers,
BmB
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
If the upgrade were to clear, is UA lounge access available at all during this itinerary?
Domestic F is not entitled to lounge access. If SEA-HND is in Business Class, you have access at SEA. If you have *G status, you would also have access at BOS and IAD.
BuildingMyBento likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hi UA forum,

Might be booking a BOS-IAD-SEA-HND routing soon, with a couple of asterisks.

The BOS-IAD seems like there's a good chance for an upgrade. Also, SEA-HND is operated by NH.

Cheers,
BmB
Unless your SEA>HND leg is in business or first you’re out of luck there. The domestic upgrade won’t get you in. Although if you have *G through United, that will get you club access, but it’s supposed to only be at the departure airport of the international itinerary, but IIRC I didn’t have a problem at connecting airports last time?

EDIT: adding some documentation:

If you belong to United’s frequent flyer program, a valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international3 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline, or a same-day boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status for travel on an international3 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline, are needed to access United Club locations at the departure airport of their international itinerary
BuildingMyBento likes this.

Last edited by DiminishedSeventh; Jan 28, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiminishedSeventh
Unless your SEA>HND leg is in business or first you’re out of luck there.
SEA-HND is NH-operated, so it won’t get United Club access anywhere except Seattle regardless of class.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
SEA-HND is NH-operated, so it won’t get United Club access anywhere except Seattle regardless of class.
Even in economy? I was under the impression it had to be first/business for club access.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiminishedSeventh
Even in economy? I was under the impression it had to be first/business for club access.
Sorry, you’re correct about that part. I thought you were implying that SEA-HND being in business would grant access elsewhere in the system. If it were a UA-operated flgiht, that’d be the case, but since it’s an NH-operated flight, lounge access would only be at SEA (and, to confirm, that segment must be in business class).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.