Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UC has set no limits (yet)...
Thank you!
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by capedreamer
When I checked last summer, there was no time limit restrictions for UC access (like there now are for other airlines including AC and DL). Just wondering if that's still the case.

In case relevant, I'm AC*G flying UA in (normal) Economy from MEX to MCI via IAH. ...
In most case of lounges with time limits, they do not apply at the connection airports.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:08 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In most case of lounges with time limits, they do not apply at the connection airports.
My question was actually about MEX because I wanted to standby on an earlier flight and was wondering if I'd be able to wait in the UC if the standby was unsuccessful.

Btw, I'm in the MEX UC now and am once again reminded of how awesome the lounge agents are here. Every time I've been here, I've always been greeted with a big warm smile (even as a lowly AC E75K member now). Today, I asked if I could standby on an earlier MEX-IAH flight, and not only did the agent helping me offer to confirm me on an earlier flight (instead of playing the standby lottery at the gate), he proactively noticed that I was connecting to MCI and tried to see if he could confirm my IAH-MCI connection to an earlier flight as well. Since there was no earlier IAH-MCI flight I could catch, he then offered to reroute me via IAD and get me to MCI 2 hours earlier, all confirmed from the lounge instead of waiting at the gate, and I was 'bumped' into Economy Plus to boot!

The lounge agents I'm used to (mostly AC) hardly even smile at you, much less exhibit any willingness to be proactive or go above and beyond. What a stark contrast!

Last edited by capedreamer; Mar 5, 2024 at 6:22 am
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:41 am

Hi! I am flying LH F from FRA-EWR and connecting UA Economy from EWR-RDU on same itinerary... would I be eligible for United Club at EWR? I am not sure from United's website (I don't have status with them) their access rules are hard to trace, some places it says "departure airport only" which obviously means you can't at your final destination but I am unsure what rules are for domestic connection after star alliance long haul F then domestic connection in economy ... reason I ask is I remember few years ago was flying FRA-ORD-RDU similar itin and they denied me at ORD and laughed when I said I thought it was standard to be given access after arriving international biz / f before domestic connection
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LowLevelElite
Hi! I am flying LH F from FRA-EWR and connecting UA Economy from EWR-RDU on same itinerary... would I be eligible for United Club at EWR? I am not sure from United's website (I don't have status with them) their access rules are hard to trace, some places it says "departure airport only" which obviously means you can't at your final destination but I am unsure what rules are for domestic connection after star alliance long haul F then domestic connection in economy ... reason I ask is I remember few years ago was flying FRA-ORD-RDU similar itin and they denied me at ORD and laughed when I said I thought it was standard to be given access after arriving international biz / f before domestic connection
There are three broad set of rules for UA access
-- based on *A status or *A Paid Lounge Membership
-- based on departure flight (Star Alliance rules)
-- a special rules for UA international premium cabin flyers

If without status and not flying UA international premium cabin, access is decided by the departure flight from the airport, EWR-RDU is not eligible (in any cabin) for UC access. The non-UA arrival flight is not a consideration
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2024 at 12:45 pm Reason: *A Paid Lounge Membership
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LowLevelElite
I remember few years ago was flying FRA-ORD-RDU similar itin and they denied me at ORD and laughed when I said I thought it was standard to be given access after arriving international biz / f before domestic connection
If you had flown in on UA, you would have had access.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you have *A Gold Stutus from any airline other than UA, you would get access at EWR based on EWR-RDU flight.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
When buying a UC membership, does it become active immediately? Obviously to maximize the time of the membership one would want to buy it on the day of departure.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lsquare
When buying a UC membership, does it become active immediately? Obviously to maximize the time of the membership one would want to buy it on the day of departure.
You can buy them at the club itself if you really want
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by United747
You can buy them at the club itself if you really want
The annual membership? If so, I had no idea!

I was asking about online though…will it become active immediately?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lsquare
The annual membership? If so, I had no idea!

I was asking about online though…will it become active immediately?
From UA

When does my membership become active?
United Club membership becomes active upon purchase, and a temporary membership card is included with your purchase receipt. An official welcome kit will be mailed to you within 4-6weeks following purchase. If you visit a United Club before you’ve received your welcome kit, please use your temporary membership card or inform the United Club check-in agent of your MileagePlus number and they will be able to check you in.
​​​​​​​https://www.united.com/en/us/subscriptions/products/SCL
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Not sure if a recent change but https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...its-chart.html shows:

• The following rules and restrictions apply:
    • When traveling on a Star Alliance member-operated flight, eligible Star Alliance Gold members (MileagePlus Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold) may visit designated Star Alliance member lounges. United Star Alliance Gold members may access any United Club only when holding a boarding pass for a same-day international Star Alliance member flight. United Star Alliance Gold members may access other Star Alliance member lounges before any departure on a Star Alliance member airline flight.
    • Guests must enter with eligible Star Alliance Gold members (MileagePlus Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold) and must depart on a Star Alliance airline, though not necessarily on the same flight as the member. At some destinations, where no member carrier lounge is present, a contract lounge may be available. Star Alliance Gold members may access these facilities when traveling with a Star Alliance member airline that has an agreement with the contract lounge. The same rules and restrictions for member carrier lounge access apply to a contract lounge facility.
On https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...e-access.html:

​​​​​​​If you belong to United’s frequent flyer program, a valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international3 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline, or a same-day boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status for travel on an international3 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline, are needed to access United Club locations at the departure airport of their international itinerary
Traveled on a domestic redeye flight out of SFO departing at 11:05pm connecting to an *A international flight departing the next calendar day with a 3 hour layover on the same itinerary and the computer rejected access at SFO as a 1k/*G. Agent let me in after "manually" processing the entry which took a few minutes and multiple asks about entire flight itinerary, *A status, scanning the BP multiple times. Not a fan of this "same-day" restriction.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:11 am

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Not sure if a recent change but https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...its-chart.html shows:

On https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...e-access.html:

Traveled on a domestic redeye flight out of SFO departing at 11:05pm connecting to an *A international flight departing the next calendar day with a 3 hour layover on the same itinerary and the computer rejected access at SFO as a 1k/*G. Agent let me in after "manually" processing the entry which took a few minutes and multiple asks about entire flight itinerary, *A status, scanning the BP multiple times. Not a fan of this "same-day" restriction.
No, not really a recent change. It is a common issue that has been mentioned a few times in this thread, and agents are instructed to manually process such cases as you experienced.
SPN Lifer, lincolnjkc and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Apologies but I can't find the appropriate thread for this. It's a question about United Club access.

I have United Gold and am flying YEG (Edmonton) -DEN-EWR-SDQ (Santo Domingo) on United, all the way. Note that the DEN-EWR departs at 23:57.

I'm travelling on an Economy ticket but I was upgraded to United First on YEG-DEN and EWR-SDQ.

I was initially denied access to the United Club in Denver. The automatic gates and the scanner said no. I asked why - I'm United Gold on an international flight. The guy let me in.

I asked upstairs at the desk what was going on. She said "the computer is always right" and she said it was probably because my international leg is the next day.

Later on I remembered that just a few weeks ago I flew a very similar YEG-DEN-LGA itinerary and I wasn't denied access. So there goes that theory. I was always under the impression that United Gold and above (I used to be 1K) gets United Club access in the US if the flight is part of a United itinerary including international - departing or arriving. I've never been denied access before (I don't usually fly solely within the US). But when I tried to look up the rules I couldn't find them. Have they changed?

Thank you for any thoughts.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by rbakker
I was initially denied access to the United Club in Denver. The automatic gates and the scanner said no. I asked why - I'm United Gold on an international flight. The guy let me in.
I asked upstairs at the desk what was going on. She said "the computer is always right" and she said it was probably because my international leg is the next day.
EWR-SDQ is irrelevant. The fact that you just flew in YEG-DEN in J should get you into UC in DEN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.