Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
EWR-SDQ is irrelevant. The fact that you just flew in YEG-DEN in J should get you into UC in DEN.
That's my thought as well after seeing what sparse rules I could find. But then again I'm (almost) sure that I was in Economy when flying YEG-DEN-LGA and I was admitted then with no problems.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbakker
Apologies but I can't find the appropriate thread for this. It's a question about United Club access.

I have United Gold and am flying YEG (Edmonton) -DEN-EWR-SDQ (Santo Domingo) on United, all the way. Note that the DEN-EWR departs at 23:57.

I'm travelling on an Economy ticket but I was upgraded to United First on YEG-DEN and EWR-SDQ.

I was initially denied access to the United Club in Denver. The automatic gates and the scanner said no. I asked why - I'm United Gold on an international flight. The guy let me in.

I asked upstairs at the desk what was going on. She said "the computer is always right" and she said it was probably because my international leg is the next day.

Later on I remembered that just a few weeks ago I flew a very similar YEG-DEN-LGA itinerary and I wasn't denied access. So there goes that theory. I was always under the impression that United Gold and above (I used to be 1K) gets United Club access in the US if the flight is part of a United itinerary including international - departing or arriving. I've never been denied access before (I don't usually fly solely within the US). But when I tried to look up the rules I couldn't find them. Have they changed?

Thank you for any thoughts.
Gold and international gets you access at DEN. The computer was wrong, although I've no idea why.

Here are the access rules for reference:
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...ge-access.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:00 pm

Thanks! Maybe I'm missing something here but where in those rules does it say Gold + International = Club access?
I've always thought that was the case but I can't see it.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbakker
Thanks! Maybe I'm missing something here but where in those rules does it say Gold + International = Club access?
I've always thought that was the case but I can't see it.
Toward the bottom of the page. under Star Alliance Gold
If you belong to United’s frequent flyer program, a valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a same-day boarding pass for travel on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline, or a same-day boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status for travel on an international3 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline, are needed to access United Club locations at the departure airport of their international itinerary
rbakker likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Interestingly, UA's dumbed-down website no longer shows the expanded access for UA Gold.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:04 am

Amazing how all these airlines complicate access questions and fail to educate the folks at the entry. A simple chart would work. Given technology, they could plug in exact route information with status and give access information.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Gold and international gets you access at DEN. The computer was wrong, although I've no idea why.

Here are the access rules for reference:
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...ge-access.html
Perhaps, UA IT changed the codes slightly for the auto gate. But I am not sure that OP went through an auto gate in the earlier trip when OP was not denied.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:17 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Global321
Amazing how all these airlines complicate access questions and fail to educate the folks at the entry. A simple chart would work. Given technology, they could plug in exact route information with status and give access information.
The Star Alliance lounge finder allows you to input route, status, and paid lounge membership in order to check available lounges. But I’m not sure how accurate it is.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by United747
The Star Alliance lounge finder allows you to input route, status, and paid lounge membership in order to check available lounges. But I’m not sure how accurate it is.
Inputting route allows you to check for departure access.

But it doesn't handle UA's exceptions
*G gets departure access unless they're UA domestic (can be handled by calculator if you put in arrival airport plus which airline elite
UA *G still gets departure access on domestic route if having a same-day intl (not handled by calculator)

​​​​​​
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by United747
The real issue isn't determining access by the rules, it is the agents. It seems the check-in agents make their own determination of rules. And they are wrong quite often.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Global321
The real issue isn't determining access by the rules, it is the agents. It seems the check-in agents make their own determination of rules. And they are wrong quite often.
The decision at UCs are now made by computer and on the whole I suspect errors are uncommon. I have been in UCs many hundreds of times, probably close to thousand and never have been refused . Occasional but rare issues at partners lounges that have always worked out. That's not to say there are not occasional problems in some corner cases as the rules are vague about certain aspects but "often wrong", nope. The biggest issue is enter using a different program than what's on the BP, that is likely an uncommon issue agents are not for. What can easily be noticed in this thread is those that think they are right, but many times are not, is far more common
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:49 am

Programs: UA MM
Much of the problem is UA keeps making subtle changes to the wording of access rules. No wonder customers and UC agents seem confused.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Much of the problem is UA keeps making subtle changes to the wording of access rules. No wonder customers and UC agents seem confused.
It is certainly possible to interpret the most recent rule changes as disallowing UA*G passengers from the United Club at airports other than the international gateway (on departure only) if said international flight is not UA in Business/Polaris.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Perhaps, UA IT changed the codes slightly for the auto gate. But I am not sure that OP went through an auto gate in the earlier trip when OP was not denied.
I am not 100% sure that I went through the auto gate but it was at the same airport (DEN) and very likely the exact same United Club. I don't remember there being any problem with the gates such that I would have been directed to walk around them - it was only last month. I have sent off a complaint to United, I'll let everyone know what they say.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Trying to decide whether upgrading to J is worth it for a YOW-ORD-MCI return trip. Passenger has no status with any airline.

Do I understand correctly that there would be access to a lounge in ORD on the return itinerary, because the departing flight is international, but no lounge access in ORD on the outbound because although the entire itinerary is international, the ORD-MCI segment is domestic?

I should say what has me confused is the United Club access page, which says: "A same-day boarding pass for an international or transcontinental flight", but also that this includes "Access at departure, connecting* and arrival airports" with the footnote on 'connecting' saying "United Business access to clubs at connecting airports is only available to customers on international flights." Not really sure how to read that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.