Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
booking award business class ticket through Aeroplan on Lufthansa metal RDU to FRA to VIE. Will I have access to the United lounge in RDU? Assume I will to the Lufthansa lounge in FRA. Thanks.
I think the better question might be what lounge access LH offers for it's Business Class customers at RDU. The answer might be the same, but probably the better place to ask is on the LH board.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
probably the better place to ask is on the LH board.
Not necessary.

United Club.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
I think the better question might be what lounge access LH offers for it's Business Class customers at RDU. The answer might be the same, but probably the better place to ask is on the LH board.
rdu has a United lounge. No Lufthansa lounge (only have 5 flights a week starting in June )
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
And the RDU lounge is surprisingly pleasant - not big, not fancy, but well-equipped, well-maintained, and healthy fresh food (no variation in menu from Wednesday inbound to Friday outbound). Probably doesn't have a shower (I didn't look) but sounds like you won't need it.
Global321 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by lskohn
And the RDU lounge is surprisingly pleasant - not big, not fancy, but well-equipped, well-maintained, and healthy fresh food (no variation in menu from Wednesday inbound to Friday outbound). Probably doesn't have a shower (I didn't look) but sounds like you won't need it.
thx. Ya. I live 12 minutes away. It isn’t make or break by any means, but if I have access I will get there and grab some food and drink before our long flight.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 10:26 am

Non-status flyers here - have an SK-issued ticket flying MCO-EWR-CPH and return in international business class (J). MCO-EWR is on UA; EWR-CPH on SK.

I'm trying to determine if we can access the United Club at MCO before departure.

Do we fall under the category of "A boarding pass for travel in United Business. Customers traveling internationally in United Business may access United Club locations at departure, connecting and arrival airports footnote3 along their eligible same-day routing."

Or are we under the category of "A boarding pass for travel in business class on a Star Alliance member airline. Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their international business class flight."

The former would appear to allow access at MCO, but the latter would appear to allow access only at EWR and not MCO. The MCO-EWR flight is in United Business, but international flight is on a Star Alliance member airline. And ticket is issued by SK.

Thank you.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Non-status flyers here - have an SK-issued ticket flying MCO-EWR-CPH and return in international business class (J). MCO-EWR is on UA; EWR-CPH on SK.

I'm trying to determine if we can access the United Club at MCO before departure.

Do we fall under the category of "A boarding pass for travel in United Business. Customers traveling internationally in United Business may access United Club locations at departure, connecting and arrival airports footnote3 along their eligible same-day routing."

Or are we under the category of "A boarding pass for travel in business class on a Star Alliance member airline. Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their international business class flight."

The former would appear to allow access at MCO, but the latter would appear to allow access only at EWR and not MCO. The MCO-EWR flight is in United Business, but international flight is on a Star Alliance member airline. And ticket is issued by SK.

Thank you.
You will not travel in United Business (routes such as EWR-LAX/SFO and short non-Polaris international routes such as EWR-YYZ). So, you will have access to Polaris lounge at EWR for outbound flight only.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and SusanDK like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
You will not travel in United Business (routes such as EWR-LAX/SFO and short non-Polaris international routes such as EWR-YYZ). So, you will have access to Polaris lounge at EWR for outbound flight only.
Thanks! So you’re also saying that on our return, we won’t have lounge access at EWR before connecting to go to MCO? That’s our longest layover, so I was counting on that one. We won’t actually have time (if all goes according to the itinerary) to access a lounge at EWR for our outbound.

I might be looking for a UA-branded credit card!
Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: UA1K
Thanks! So you’re also saying that on our return, we won’t have lounge access at EWR before connecting to go to MCO? That’s our longest layover, so I was counting on that one. We won’t actually have time (if all goes according to the itinerary) to access a lounge at EWR for our outbound.

I might be looking for a UA-branded credit card!
That’s correct unfortunately. You might have access to the SK lounge in terminal B, although not sure what the specifics are for business arrivals in the US on their own metal
SusanDK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
That’s correct unfortunately. You might have access to the SK lounge in terminal B, although not sure what the specifics are for business arrivals in the US on their own metal
And is likely logistically difficult (TSA may give a hard time to get through B security with a UA BP -- not sure if the Airside shuttle will stop at B without a B boarding pass, and you'll likely already be at B after clearing immigration -- then you'd have to exit security and re-clear for the onward flight out of A or C since, IIRC the UA Airside shuttle is "drop off only" at B (I haven't seen anyone board at B since COVID ... Maybe that's just a factor of my timing)

If you really want lounge access you may (subject to capacity controls) be able to buy UA Club one-time passes for access.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
…I might be looking for a UA-branded credit card!
Unless you travel a lot on United, the card with club access privileges probably won’t be worth the annual fee. A one-time pass is probably your best value if you really need United Club access at EWR.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Unless you travel a lot on United, the card with club access privileges probably won’t be worth the annual fee. A one-time pass is probably your best value if you really need United Club access at EWR.
Yes, that is my conclusion when reviewing the Chase options. The Explorer card looks useful with first year annual fee waived and only $95 thereafter, including 2 one-time passes annually (and a 60K mile SUB). Interesting question is whether the one-time passes are only good for the named card holder, or if I can use two passes (one for me, one for husband) for a single visit.

I agree that trying to access the SK lounge on arrival at EWR would be a non-starter. Even if permitted, which it's likely not, we'll want to get through immigration, customs, re-checking bags and over to Terminal C upon arrival, and only look for a lounge at Terminal C if time permits. I think we have about a 3 or so hour layover.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:53 pm

Yes, that is my conclusion when reviewing the Chase options. The Explorer card looks useful with first year annual fee waived and only $95 thereafter, including 2 one-time passes annually. Interesting question is whether the one-time passes are only good for the named card holder, or if I can use two passes (one for me, one for husband) for a single visit.
As long as the club is accepting OTP's that day, they can be used by anyone that has the barcode to be scanned for redemption.
SPN Lifer and SusanDK like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Yes, that is my conclusion when reviewing the Chase options. The Explorer card looks useful with first year annual fee waived and only $95 thereafter, including 2 one-time passes annually. Interesting question is whether the one-time passes are only good for the named card holder, or if I can use two passes (one for me, one for husband) for a single visit.
Unless something has changed the passes are a 'bearer instrument ', e.g. as long as they're valid *anyone* can present and use them
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
As long as the club is accepting OTP's that day, they can be used by anyone that has the barcode to be scanned for redemption.
Use of the Chase card passes can be denied due to crowding, but the passes offered due to the itinerary by UA will be valid for admittance. Probably best to just to buy the passes UA offers as adjunct to itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.