Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SusanDK

I might be looking for a UA-branded credit card!
I hold one and enjoy the multiple benefits but as someone else above stated the card is spendy at now $525 I believe. So do the math on pass purchases, I think they run about $60 now. The problem with them is some busy UCs will not accept pass holders when they are busy. Quite honestly when I see the sign out that pass holders are not welcome that I often want to even be in the club as it means it is nearly full to capacity and can be well ..... gross.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
I hold one and enjoy the multiple benefits but as someone else above stated the card is spendy at now $525 I believe. So do the math on pass purchases, I think they run about $60 now. The problem with them is some busy UCs will not accept pass holders when they are busy. Quite honestly when I see the sign out that pass holders are not welcome that I often want to even be in the club as it means it is nearly full to capacity and can be well ..... gross.
United does recognize the difference between OTPs from Chase and the ones they sell to ticket passengers directly associated w/ their itinerary. I.E (paraphrasing) "relax in the United Club prior to your flight to Orlando in Newark with purchase of a United Club pass".
SusanDK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:19 pm

Thanks everyone! So if I purchase OTPs from UA directly linked to my itinerary, what happens if we arrive late and cannot use them? For example, if the SK flight is late to EWR and we don't have time to stop at the lounge. Are they lost or held in our UA account for future use?

Can I purchase for both of us on the itinerary, similar to how I make all the flight arrangements for the both of us? My husband doesn't need to set up the UA app and buy his directly, does he? I manage his FF account and make all our flight arrangements through my account.

Edited to add: On second thought, I'm guessing I'll have other options at EWR due to AmEx Centurion, Priority Pass, etc. MCO is the only problem because the Priority Pass options are not accessible from the United gates.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Edited to add: On second thought, I'm guessing I'll have other options at EWR due to AmEx Centurion, Priority Pass, etc. MCO is the only problem because the Priority Pass options are not accessible from the United gates.
You will be disappointed to find out there are:

No Centurion lounge.
No PP lounge nor any PP accepted merchants

at EWR.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Thanks everyone! So if I purchase OTPs from UA directly linked to my itinerary, what happens if we arrive late and cannot use them? For example, if the SK flight is late to EWR and we don't have time to stop at the lounge. Are they lost or held in our UA account for future use?

Can I purchase for both of us on the itinerary, similar to how I make all the flight arrangements for the both of us? My husband doesn't need to set up the UA app and buy his directly, does he? I manage his FF account and make all our flight arrangements through my account..
There are two flavors of OT(ish)P... The true one time pass, except as a credit card voucher, is best (only legitimately?) bought directly at the United Club you wish to access and this being the case of they aren't accepting passes or you misconnect or just decide not to visit the club....no worries. Bit it is only valid at that airport and that day.

The other flavor is the "trip pass" which can be added during the booking flow or I believe online (but as a member I don't have much exposure to that) -- that is valid for all UCs on the direction of travel and attached to the PNR... I believe all passengers on the reservation have to purchase the pass (but because it's tied to the PNR don't have to purchase themselves) but am a bit foggy on that aspect...
SusanDK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
...The other flavor is the "trip pass" which can be added during the booking flow or I believe online (but as a member I don't have much exposure to that) -- that is valid for all UCs on the direction of travel and attached to the PNR... I believe all passengers on the reservation have to purchase the pass (but because it's tied to the PNR don't have to purchase themselves) but am a bit foggy on that aspect...
Th trip pass is the important one to avoid the chance of OTP denial. I've seen it offered post-purchase. The important thing is to make sure the pass is being purchased in conjunction w/ the itinerary. The offer will show the airports involved.
SusanDK and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Th trip pass is the important one to avoid the chance of OTP denial. I've seen it offered post-purchase. The important thing is to make sure the pass is being purchased in conjunction w/ the itinerary. The offer will show the airports involved.
OK, so let's say I am traveling with a OTP purchased from UA (trip pass) and my travel partner (not on same pnr) has a OTP through Chase. We both head to a UC and the sign is out NO PASS HOLDERS, who gets in (if anybody)? Like lincolnjkc as a member I don't get into this but the above posts have made me curious .
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
OK, so let's say I am traveling with a OTP purchased from UA (trip pass) and my travel partner (not on same pnr) has a OTP through Chase. We both head to a UC and the sign is out NO PASS HOLDERS, who gets in (if anybody)? Like lincolnjkc as a member I don't get into this but the above posts have made me curious .
Trip pass gets in, Chase doesn't.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:23 pm

I tried to find the option to purchase a trip pass on UA. I'm able to retrieve my itinerary, select seats and other options, but no option to purchase lounge access. Is this because the ticket was purchased via SK and not directly with UA?

I have also checked the Star Alliance lounge access rules, and shouldn't I get lounge access based on this:

International Business Class Customers
As an International Business Class Customer you have access to any Star Alliance member carrier’s owned Business Class lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
You present a boarding pass in International Business Class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight
Your flight departs on the same day of your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning
The lounge shows the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance
You are not entitled to bring any guests.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA1K
You get business lounge access from the airport where your international business class flight departs from, not when connecting to a flight that doesn't meet that criteria
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
You get business lounge access from the airport where your international business class flight departs from, not when connecting to a flight that doesn't meet that criteria
Thanks for the clarification. It seems absurd, however, that on a paid international business class itinerary, one cannot access the lounge at the first departure airport of the trip based on the ticket. We are booked in J for all flights on the itinerary.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems absurd, however, that on a paid international business class itinerary, one cannot access the lounge at the first departure airport of the trip based on the ticket.
If you were flying UA, you could. You bought a ticket from their competitor.
SPN Lifer and hirohito888 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 6:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I tried to find the option to purchase a trip pass on UA. I'm able to retrieve my itinerary, select seats and other options, but no option to purchase lounge access. Is this because the ticket was purchased via SK and not directly with UA?
Yes, it is a UA website offer. You can at the door purchase access if space is available.

I have also checked the Star Alliance lounge access rules, and shouldn't I get lounge access based on this:

International Business Class Customers
As an International Business Class Customer you have access to any Star Alliance member carrier’s owned Business Class lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
You present a boarding pass in International Business Class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight
Your flight departs on the same day of your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning
The lounge shows the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance
You are not entitled to bring any guests.
If the international business flight is UA operated, then you get UC access at airports with UCs. (Special UA rules for their customers)
If the international Business flight is not UA operated, then access to *A business lounges at just the departure airport for the international business' flight.
Thanks for the clarification. It seems absurd, however, that on a paid international business class itinerary, one cannot access the lounge at the first departure airport of the trip based on the ticket. We are booked in J for all flights on the itinerary.
That's not the *A rule. Note UA operated international business / polaris has access for all UCs
SPN Lifer and SusanDK like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:34 am

Will Star Alliance Gold digital membership card (Krisflyer) grant me access to United Club EWR on a domestic UA boarding pass with UA silver status?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ruskibusiness
Will Star Alliance Gold digital membership card (Krisflyer) grant me access to United Club EWR on a domestic UA boarding pass with UA silver status?
yes, but do NOT address the UA silver status at all... only will cause confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.