Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Call AC with their confirmation number to secure seat assignments. I did so last summer, no problem.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
AC's website is majorly borked when it comes to allowing seat selection for tickets purchased other than on the website. They have been promising improvements on this for years.

So I wouldn't be too concerned if you see the reservation on AC's system and you have the ticket number from UA. As the previous poster said, you should be able to call AC to get a seat assignment (be prepared to be on hold for at least 30 minutes).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Dont worry - its just Air Canada's 20th century website.

You can call to assign seats - as mentioned - hold times are >30 minutes on a good day.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thanks for the reassurance. I honestly don't care where I sit as long as I have a seat. I was worried myself when I clicked on that link (fearing that UA have not completed the booking).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rankourabu
hold times are >30 minutes on a good day.
Then you should hope for a bad day...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Get the AC confirmation # off UAL reservation and "like" AC on Facebook. Then send them a PM and they will assign seats for you. I did it just last week and it took less than 2 minutes
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Get the AC confirmation # off UAL reservation and "like" AC on Facebook. Then send them a PM and they will assign seats for you. I did it just last week and it took less than 2 minutes
I just tried this method and it completely failed. I was told that since I hold a UA ticket they will not assign me seats. I'm currently booked in 1C on the long-haul 777-300 flights which is really annoying. I hate aisle seats and I don't want to be right next to the galley. Here's to hoping there are open seats when I check-in.

What's worse is the single seat window (A or K) are open on the return and I can't get them. UGH.

-RM
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I just tried this method and it completely failed. I was told that since I hold a UA ticket they will not assign me seats. I'm currently booked in 1C on the long-haul 777-300 flights which is really annoying. I hate aisle seats and I don't want to be right next to the galley. Here's to hoping there are open seats when I check-in.

What's worse is the single seat window (A or K) are open on the return and I can't get them. UGH.

-RM
The single seats on the 3 class 77W are reserved for AC's top tier members, so you wouldn't be able to reserve one of those in advance. Not sure why it won't let you pick another seat, though.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
I cannot select my seats either. I have PM'd, called, no luck.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
No joy for me, either, last week. I wasn't able to assign seats until the 24 hour check-in window. Don't know if it was because it was ticketed through UA or purchased through my corp travel agency, but couldn't make ANY changes to the reservation.

At least I got into the MLL at YYZ without my Prem Plat card. They just scanned my BP and welcomed me in.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
No joy for me, either, last week. I wasn't able to assign seats until the 24 hour check-in window. Don't know if it was because it was ticketed through UA or purchased through my corp travel agency, but couldn't make ANY changes to the reservation.

At least I got into the MLL at YYZ without my Prem Plat card. They just scanned my BP and welcomed me in.
You were able to OLCI with a UA codeshare or just a UA ticket? Unfortunately my ticket is both...UA-ticketed and UA-coded.

-RM
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bit the bullet and called AC again. At 11pm PDT the wait was only 9 minutes.

The agent was super helpful and was able to get me the seats I generally wanted on SEA-YVR and YVR-LHR and back. They denied me access to the single seat "K" side of a 777-300W because it's reserved for Altitude members. At least I am no longer sitting in the aisle in row 1 near the galley. If I'm stuck in an aisle I'll take the middle of the plane which should be quieter. They were also able to email me a copy of the itinerary showing the new seat assignments.

What's even cooler is United.com is already updated with the new seat assignments that AC gave me. Great "talking" between the two computers...when it works.

-RM
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
And to my pleasant surprise, the agent with whom I spoke today was even able to sell me a preferred seat for my transatlantic award flight in a few months. Apparently they've updated their systems enough to be able to accept payment even when they're not the ticketing carrier. Very nice change.
I'm happy for you, but unfortunately I have not had the same experience. I would very much like to purchase preferred seats on a future AC flight issued on 016 ticket stock. I have tried contacting AC three different ways - telephone, Twitter, airport ticket counter - and in all 3 cases they refused to sell me a preferred seat. It's astounding that a company could have a product that a customer wants to purchase but the company refuses to sell the customer that product.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I just checked in for my AC flight (booked on UA), selected 1 checked bag and was forced to put in a credit card number to pay $25.00. My status on the boarding pass shows "UA*S" so presumably they know I'm Star Silver which should get me a free bag? I paid the fee with the UA PP card, FWIW. Anybody with experience getting a refund in situations like this?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Howard
I'm happy for you, but unfortunately I have not had the same experience. I would very much like to purchase preferred seats on a future AC flight issued on 016 ticket stock. I have tried contacting AC three different ways - telephone, Twitter, airport ticket counter - and in all 3 cases they refused to sell me a preferred seat. It's astounding that a company could have a product that a customer wants to purchase but the company refuses to sell the customer that product.
It is odd. I'm chagrined that I appear to be the only human being who was able to purchase preferred seats for an AC flight ticketed by UA. Even the next AC representative with whom I spoke couldn't believe I had done it.

I guess I'll find out if the seats are actually mine in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.