Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know what the SHARES entry is for the agent to request a type of seat (e.g. aisle) from another carrier (e.g. Air Canada)? I know this can be done but not all agents seem to know how to do it or want to try. So, maybe it would be easier calling UA with this information.

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Does anyone know what the SHARES entry is for the agent to request a type of seat (e.g. aisle) from another carrier (e.g. Air Canada)? I know this can be done but not all agents seem to know how to do it or want to try. So, maybe it would be easier calling UA with this information.

Thanks.
Well, I called again after an agent said it could not be done earlier. This agent did not know if it could be done but tried it and it worked.

She said very few people have direct SHARES access anymore. She basically did the clicking on her screen (seat type, passenger/segment) and it worked.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
you want to pay for a seat YYZ-EWR? Less than an hour in the air? I guess you can and AC is generally able to sell their products on UA tickets. I have SDCed for CAD75 on 016 tickets w/AC and things credited just fine incl. PQD and other things. So yes, AC somehow has a way to do this. Whether they will use 1 payment and apply it when you upfare to the next seat group? Not sure about that.
Well I'd always prefer to have a free advance seat assignment, but given the fare was a Tango, it wasn't going to happen.

Yes, I did want a seat assignment as I know on Tango, they don't even allow you to select at check in, they just randomly put you somewhere. And with the possibility of the record splitting on the outbound, and traveling with an infant, I don't want to sit separately, its nice to have a bit of extra room in a preferred seat. If I was traveling on my own, I wouldn't really care.

I did end up calling AC back earlier this week, and agent was able to get us the seats no problem. My only real issue is how they handle it. Even though its an ex-Canada flight, because the ticket was purchased in USD and starts in the US, he said the charge had to be based on teh US price. That's ok on its own...however, the price was basically at par with what I would have paid if I booked it in CAD.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
I was able just now to get advance seat assignment in a coach exit row on a UA ticket, UA codeshare on AC metal from YVR to SFO.

Two things to add to the thread:
1. How to get the AC reservation number from the United reservation.
- There is more than one view of your United reservation view on the United website: "View Current Reservation", "View Receipt" and "Print Itinerary". Each shows different information. To access the AC PNR you must click "Print Itinerary"
- In the "Print Itinerary" view you will see 'This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers.' You won't see it in any other view. This feels like a templating bug to me, perhaps UA will fix it in the future.

2. I called AC reservations to get a seat assignment. I was able to get exit row aisle with no problem and no extra charge. I'm ticketed in H (Flex).
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
SAN - YYZ

I need to book a trip to Toronto. UA lists non-stops operated by Air Canada Rouge. My problem - you can't select seats unless you buy through Air Canada. Anyone know if it's typically a problem to get Economy+ at boarding? I just can't do the sardine-can seats, and would hate to give up the miles just to book through Air canada and make sure I get a reasonable seat.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jnojr
I need to book a trip to Toronto. UA lists non-stops operated by Air Canada Rouge. My problem - you can't select seats unless you buy through Air Canada. Anyone know if it's typically a problem to get Economy+ at boarding? I just can't do the sardine-can seats, and would hate to give up the miles just to book through Air canada and make sure I get a reasonable seat.
You cant choose seats through AC either unless you pay a higher Flex fare. Tango only allows seat selection at check-in. If you want to choose seats earlier or preferred seats, they make you pay.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You can pay for seats on Rogue. Unless you really need the PQM, its better to buy AC stuff through AC.

I do not recommend Rogue on a flight that long, its like 29" pitch. awful.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
If you are seated in Y, it is worth the extra money to get one of the two window exit row seats with no seat in front of it.

Or even better, make a connection and fly United. Flying Rouge isn't worth the agony.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd take a connection on UA over a transcon on Rouge.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
Originally Posted by mduell
I'd take a connection on UA over a transcon on Rouge.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! This is just what I'm going to do.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
SAN - YYZ

Rouge is typically the colour of your kneecaps if you're over 5'7" and fly that flavour of Air Canada for a flight of that distance.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:00 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jnojr
Keep in mind that if you're using UA status, the only thing it will give you on AC is the *G extra baggage allowance. You can get access to E+ at boarding (we call them Preferred Seats)... if you pay for it.

AC doesn't even give their lower tiers free access to preferred seating, and especially not on a Tango fare.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I just bought flights on the UA website including flights on Air Canada. I don't have the option to select Air Canada seats on the UA website. Can I select them on the Air Canada website? If so, how?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by Howste
I just bought flights on the UA website including flights on Air Canada. I don't have the option to select Air Canada seats on the UA website. Can I select them on the Air Canada website? If so, how?
VERY unfortunately if you purhcase AC on UA you cannot go to their website and chose seats you have to do the absolute horror of CALLING AC for seats. I have stopped flying AC becuase of the extreme long holds on their phone network for seats. Good Luck! Bring a meal to the phone.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Absolute
Keep in mind that if you're using UA status, the only thing it will give you on AC is the *G extra baggage allowance. You can get access to E+ at boarding (we call them Preferred Seats)... if you pay for it.

AC doesn't even give their lower tiers free access to preferred seating, and especially not on a Tango fare.
I have gotten E+ seats at OLCI repeatedly on W or higher fares.

Originally Posted by Howste
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
VERY unfortunately if you purhcase AC on UA you cannot go to their website and chose seats you have to do the absolute horror of CALLING AC for seats. I have stopped flying AC becuase of the extreme long holds on their phone network for seats. Good Luck! Bring a meal to the phone.
Called 2 weeks ago to get seats on a resi with a schedule change; now a 789 ^ Took less than 5 minutes to get this done including hold. Considering I have no status w/ AC I think 5 minutes is not a terrible wait.

Agreed that AC needs to fix the seat selection on non-AC tickets, but it is not that difficult to get them assigned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.