Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:31 pm

I booked a PEK-SFO-YYZ ticket on 016 stock a couple of months ago and the SFO-YYZ leg (AC code, not codeshare) ticketed as Tango. I called AC regarding the possibility of buying a seat assignment and they didn't end up charging a fee because I was connecting from an international flight. Pleasantly surprised for once, didn't expect them to do this given the international leg isn't on AC.

My second experience, I booked a UA codeshare operated by AC last week which ended up mapping to a Flex fare on AC. Seats were automatically assigned, which is even better because now I don't have to deal with calling AC reservations.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by irotem
I am a UA platinum and just booked a flight directly with AC. The fare I got, even though not so cheap, was classified as Tango - and as such, they wouldn't let me pre-assign my seats without paying a fee (!!!). I am referring to REGULAR seats... I mentioned I am a star alliance gold, to which they responded I will get many benefits, but the most basic one - assigning my seats, is not one of them... This is absurd! When their flyers fly UA they don't pay a penny for regular seat assignment.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
UA fares all allow seat assignment; AC has some that don't. Doesn't matter what your status is - buy a Tango fare, you get Tango benefits. If you want a regular seat assignment, you had the option to purchase Flex, but chose not to do so.

It's no different than buying a cheapo fare on LH and having to either pay or wait until check in to get a seat - that is no longer a benefit in advance on lower fare classes. And not so far off from buying a cheapo N fare on UA, and you get fewer miles then buying a semi-cheap W which nets still fewer miles than a Y or B fare.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2015 at 9:58 pm Reason: unneeded snark removed
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:04 am

Just had an interesting experience with booking seats on AC in Y on a mixed cabin UA award flight (the first portion of the flight is in J, second in Y because AC didn't have anymore I space). When I tweeted at AC for seat selections, they told me I couldn't book preferred seats until checkin, but could get regular seats if I wanted to pay a fee for each seat. Seemed a bit odd considering I am using I miles, so I called into AC and got a less than enthusiastic phone agent, but he was at least able to get me two seats for free. Didn't even mention a fee. So I guess it's sort of a HUACA situation, except with Twitter involved...
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone with any more recent experience on if it's possible to choose seats on an a United Codeshare operated by Air Canada booked at United.com?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eyeball1
Anyone with any more recent experience on if it's possible to choose seats on an a United Codeshare operated by Air Canada booked at United.com?
You can not.
In general, you can not select seats on a flight operated by XXX on YYY's site when purchased as a YYY codeshare.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have to call AC for this. You can't do it on the UA website, as it has to be done though operators website. AC is technologically not proficient enough to allow flights booked through any place other then ACs own website to select seats online. Even those booking awards through Aeroplan can't select a seat on ACs site.

So get your AC PNR from the UA site, call AC with it, and they should be able to allow you to select seats. Note if fare class turns out to be Tango, it will cost to select your seat - you either pay to select the seat you want or your get whatever the IT folks decide you get at check in.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
So get your AC PNR from the UA site, call AC with it, and . . . .
block off 30-60 minutes for hold time.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can not.
In general, you can not select seats on a flight operated by XXX on YYY's site when purchased as a YYY codeshare.
Yes, this I know. But in the instance I described (United codeshare/AC metal) can the AC PNR be retrieved and can seats be selected by using the calling AC reservations or using the AC online seat selection tool for flights booked elsewhere than AC.com?

I know the converse is easily done (choosing seats on Air Canada codeshare/UA metal) booked on AC.com by calling UA.

Edit: I just saw the following responses that it can be done be calling AC
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... But in the instance I described (United codeshare/AC metal) can the AC PNR be retrieved and can seats be selected by using the calling AC reservations or using the AC online seat selection tool for flights booked elsewhere than AC.com?...
Yes (if your ticket allows advance seating assignment), just block out some time for the call

.... Edit: I just saw the following responses that it can be done be calling AC
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
Multi-tasking is a wonderful invention.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
I have had decent luck calling AC numbers in other countries (e.g., UK, Japan, etc.) to avoid long hold times for basic requests like seats.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME...while this used to be the case, AC is much better these days. I think the longest wait I've had with AC in several months or even perhaps in about a year (barring irrops, of course) is 20 minutes, and that was only once. My norm is closer to about 5 now.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: United 1K, National Executive Elite, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Platinum Elite
For what it's worth: I booked on United last night, called today (888-247-2262) and was on hold only 6 minutes (including prompts) before talking to a live agent who happily gave me seat assignments together for two itineraries.

My AC confirmation number was NOT on the E-mail, but I got it by logging in to United, viewing the reservation and there was a link "This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers." That gave a pop up window with the AC Confirmation number.

The "Preferred Seats" (Economy Plus) were available for purchase. She made it seem like since I was *G I would get a discount but the prices she stated were the same as the regular price online via aircanada.com (I was looking to be sure she was giving us good seats).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IlanDC
For what it's worth: I booked on United last night, called today (888-247-2262) and was on hold only 6 minutes (including prompts) before talking to a live agent who happily gave me seat assignments together for two itineraries.

My AC confirmation number was NOT on the E-mail, but I got it by logging in to United, viewing the reservation and there was a link "This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers." That gave a pop up window with the AC Confirmation number.

The "Preferred Seats" (Economy Plus) were available for purchase. She made it seem like since I was *G I would get a discount but the prices she stated were the same as the regular price online via aircanada.com (I was looking to be sure she was giving us good seats).
Are you saying AC was able to process a purchase of a preferred seat on a 016 ticket? Interesting. I've been meaning to post about AC seat selection on Tango.

Have an 016 transborder ticket for the end of Jan, with one leg on AC (YYZ - EWR). Fare is K and is a Tango, which I am fine with. Called AC to see about purchasing seat assignments.

Would be great to hear of anyone was told something similar to me. Was told:

- On a 016 ticket, I can buy regular seats in advance, but not preferred seats.
- When I asked if I could purchase preferred seats at check in, she said she thought so if available, but wasn't sure.
- When I asked if I bought regular seats in advance, and wanted to purchase preferred seats at check in, would the fee reflect the $ I already paid for regular seats, she said she was pretty sure no, and,
- when I asked if I was entitled to a refund for the regular seat selection if I did the above, she thought no, or would be difficult at best.

Does this all seem accurate, or should I try again?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Are you saying AC was able to process a purchase of a preferred seat on a 016 ticket? Interesting. I've been meaning to post about AC seat selection on Tango.

Have an 016 transborder ticket for the end of Jan, with one leg on AC (YYZ - EWR). Fare is K and is a Tango, which I am fine with. Called AC to see about purchasing seat assignments.

Would be great to hear of anyone was told something similar to me. Was told:

- On a 016 ticket, I can buy regular seats in advance, but not preferred seats.
- When I asked if I could purchase preferred seats at check in, she said she thought so if available, but wasn't sure.
- When I asked if I bought regular seats in advance, and wanted to purchase preferred seats at check in, would the fee reflect the $ I already paid for regular seats, she said she was pretty sure no, and,
- when I asked if I was entitled to a refund for the regular seat selection if I did the above, she thought no, or would be difficult at best.

Does this all seem accurate, or should I try again?
you want to pay for a seat YYZ-EWR? Less than an hour in the air? I guess you can and AC is generally able to sell their products on UA tickets. I have SDCed for CAD75 on 016 tickets w/AC and things credited just fine incl. PQD and other things. So yes, AC somehow has a way to do this. Whether they will use 1 payment and apply it when you upfare to the next seat group? Not sure about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.