Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Yes, this will be an option when you check in online at T-24.
Thank you. Will prob book through AC then as can do at purchase.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Thank you. Will prob book through AC then as can do at purchase.
You can purchase this ahead of T-24 as well. No need to book through AC. Just call and say you'd like to do seat purchases.

Remember you won't get PQD if booked not through UA! (if it matters)
Old May 16, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IME, it can be done, but some AC agents will say it can't be done, so you may have to HUCA.

Last time, I had an agent tell me I could pay for a regular seat assignment (my fare ended up being Tango) but not for a preferred (extra legroom) seat.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: United
As a data point here is my facebook message to AC last month about it:

Apr 17th, 8:14pm Hi There, if I am purchasing an Air Canada flight (AC792 on May 4th) through United Airlines am I able to call in or message and purchase the preferred seating? or will it only be available at check in? I'd like to purchase 12a and 13a on that flight

Hello, Unfortunately the Preferred seats will only be available to you at the check-in. Regards, Air Canada Social Media /aa
Old May 16, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by svirfnebli
As a data point here is my facebook message to AC last month about it:

Apr 17th, 8:14pm Hi There, if I am purchasing an Air Canada flight (AC792 on May 4th) through United Airlines am I able to call in or message and purchase the preferred seating? or will it only be available at check in? I'd like to purchase 12a and 13a on that flight

Hello, Unfortunately the Preferred seats will only be available to you at the check-in. Regards, Air Canada Social Media /aa
This is my experience as well. You can always book on UA, try the call or message, and if it doesn't work cancel the UA ticket within 24 hours and book on AC.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
This is my experience as well. You can always book on UA, try the call or message, and if it doesn't work cancel the UA ticket within 24 hours and book on AC.
I currently have tickets booked through UA.com on AC metal. You can buy preferred seats if you go to your res through "My Bookings" and then click on the link for seat selection tool towards to top of the page (which will bring you to: https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english).

I plan to purchase preferred seats soon and have gone all the way through the page where you would enter the CC info. Per my DMs with AC via Twitter yesterday, they confirmed that preferred seat payment for tix booked through other airlines should work. They had originally given the same party line mentioned by economyplus fan, but then when I told them that I could go in and select the seats, enter CC info, etc., I guess they checked and said that a "new tool" was recently added to allow it.

Last edited by lileor; May 16, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
Originally Posted by 24left
1. As per thread title, I assume you bought for UA but on AC metal. Were you assigned seats for all segments?

2. I assume you got the AC PNR? If you did, have you tried to go to Air Canada's site, My Bookings and try and chance it online?

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home.html

Some other info

Advance Seat Selection

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...selection.html
We're booked on an AC flight via UA codeshare YVR to SFO. Mileage Plus awards in Y. Tried to find AC res code at UA.com; no luck. Waited 30 minutes to contact UA. Got AC res code; tried AC seat assignment portal online, didn't work. Called AC, short wait time and they gladly gave seat assignments. Didn't try twitter option. Might have been faster. Overall, good result....just took some time.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:44 pm

Any way to reserve seats on a flight sold by UA but operated by AC?

I'm looking at flights sold by UA but operated by AC. I've been warned that I won't be able to reserve seats at the time of booking.

I encountered this situation when buying a flight from DL that was operated by AS, but by contacting DL I was able to get my AS PNR and use that to reserve my seats on the AS segments.

Is it possible to do something like this to reserve in advance on the AC segments? I'm travelling with small children and do not want to leave seat assignments until the gate.

I'd also consider buying premium economy or extra legroom seats, if AC has such a thing. If they do, can I buy from UA at the time of reservation or should I deal with AC directly, and will that get complex (i.e. high likelihood that it gets screwed up)?

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
A travel agency probably can - I can assign seats through Concur when I book a United ticket operated by AC.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:58 pm

You can always call AC for seat assignments or try AC website. You can see your AC PNR on us.com under your reservation
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
AC will allow you to select a seat- you'll need to call them. AC IT is horrible, so if booked through UA, you'll have to call, AC web site won't allow it. Some have reported tweeting to AC will help.

Do note that if the fare class you book translates to one of the tango fare classes (the few lowest), you'll need to pay if you want seat assignments in advance. They should be able to do it, but do note it would cost - cost is typically based on route length.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
AC will allow you to select a seat- you'll need to call them. AC IT is horrible, so if booked through UA, you'll have to call, AC web site won't allow it. Some have reported tweeting to AC will help.

Do note that if the fare class you book translates to one of the tango fare classes (the few lowest), you'll need to pay if you want seat assignments in advance. They should be able to do it, but do note it would cost - cost is typically based on route length.
Thanks and thanks to whoever moved my post to the appropriate thread.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

How do I know which AC fare class my UA fare class maps to?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:42 pm

Tweet them @aircanada. They usually reply within 15 minutes.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
Tweet them @aircanada. They usually reply within 15 minutes.
Great thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.