Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just wanted to add a data point.

Just booked a one-way with an AC YYZ-DEN via UA.com for the fall (before UAs own flights start again) - this was a revenue ticket in G class. Flight only offered with the UA codeshare number, and while I did call UA to confirm everything looks good on their end, they said they wouldn't convert it to AC flight number, which I think helps wrt to some things.

We were automatically seated in row 36 (last row) of the A220 despite most seats being empty - this seems to be common because not the first time I've had this happen when booking AC via UA.com. Seems to be converted to a 'standard fare on Air Canada though. Though the seat map kept showing me prices on the seat map, selecting anything wouldn't change them.

The caveat is I am traveling with my 3 yo, so that might have triggered the seat selection (AC picks seats at booking to those traveling with kids (I think 14 and under) free at time of booking, to ensure seating together - their website says you can select different seats, but that 'may' cost. That also may have explained the inability to pick other seats - it seems to indicate that 'promo code expired' - I think that is the item that triggers the initial free seat selection.

I tried asking UA to change the seats, but they said they could not (and no seat map available on UA.com). I tried calling AC at almost midnight PT, to see if the hold time might have been better. After 15 minutes, I hung up. I then sent a direct message via Twitter, asking for seats on the AC side. I got an auto-response saying they'd be back online at 6am, and sure enough, in the morning, had a response saying they had moved us to 17AC (the side with 2 seats). So kudos to AC on Twitter for being able to help us.

Can't guarantee that they will do this if you're supposed to be paying for seats, but it did work in my case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:27 pm

booked a one-way with an AC YYZ-DEN via UA.com for the fall (before UAs own flights start again) - this was a revenue ticket in G class.
Following up with another nearly exact DP, but for SFO-YYC with 2 adults on Jazz. Forwarded on the UA website to AC. Not auto-assigned seats and all options require additional cash, so the child might be a key factor there. Will DM on twitter to see if there's an alternative to cash seat assignment.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by ken_ll
Just to give an update on luggage, I looked at the AC booking through “My Booking” for the going and return, we each have two free checked bags attached to our bookings. I’m not sure why, perhaps something attached to a legacy Latitude fare. As a recap using United award on AC, we had seat selection of all economy seats and now two checked bags each, but no opportunity to bid for upgrade.

Same experience in 2022 - AC flight bought with UAMP miles.
Nothing special done and yet it booked into Latitude with free reign on seats and 2 checked bags.
Pretty wonky - only question is if I get a free Bistro Box, but the consensus seems that it comes with revenue Latitude and not with points purchased Latitude - but even that is inconsistent so it's anyone's guess! *and before anyone snipes - I don't expect anything - I didn't ask for the bennies - but I'll take 'em if their given.
I'll definitely share if I discover the secret but honestly to my knowledge it was a very straightforward reservation.
Old May 16, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Looks like nothing has changed. Last month on a Jazz operated flight with a UA ticket booked in the Y bucket, I had full seating options at $0. This month another Jazz flight, on a deep discount UA ticket. Bulkhead is $52 USD. Regular seating is $36.

Facebook Messenger and DM on Twitter to AC for clarification were completely ignored. It is what it is.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did a trip in January and anther trip this month - UA MP award ticket on AC.

In January, I seem to remember there was some kind of discrepancy with the seating during the AC check in process but the seat I picked on United.com actually was the seat I got.

This time, the seat I originally selected on United.com did not stick. On the 737 MAX 8, I picked 21D originally (first row after exit and it is not a premium seat) but I ended up in 33D.

Just a fluke or AC's system does something to these reservations? Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by username
I did a trip in January and anther trip this month - UA MP award ticket on AC.

In January, I seem to remember there was some kind of discrepancy with the seating during the AC check in process but the seat I picked on United.com actually was the seat I got.

This time, the seat I originally selected on United.com did not stick. On the 737 MAX 8, I picked 21D originally (first row after exit and it is not a premium seat) but I ended up in 33D.

Just a fluke or AC's system does something to these reservations? Thanks.
There was a glitch with UA ticketed awards on AC where the fare basis starting with Y caused AC's system to treat it as paid Latitude, which got you free preferred seats, zone 2 boarding, a free drink and snacks on board, and easy upgrades if you had AC eUpgrades to use.

I think they've now fixed all (or at least most) of that, and it treats it as Standard, which does not include free seat selection of any kind. UA's site might let you pick a seat, but if no payment is logged for it, it's not going to stick.
username and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There was a glitch with UA ticketed awards on AC where the fare basis starting with Y caused AC's system to treat it as paid Latitude, which got you free preferred seats, zone 2 boarding, a free drink and snacks on board, and easy upgrades if you had AC eUpgrades to use.

I think they've now fixed all (or at least most) of that, and it treats it as Standard, which does not include free seat selection of any kind. UA's site might let you pick a seat, but if no payment is logged for it, it's not going to stick.
I have an award booking on AC, booked using MP miles. And it's confusing.

First of all, from history, I was always under the impression that partner award bookings were considered to go into 'flex'. I know I've typically gotten a free bag and seat assignment, so I kind of assumed.

My current booking shows a checked bag fee of $30 for the first bag, so was very confused. That's because I also got not just a free seat assignment, but any seat including the preferred seats. I called to enquire. They claimed they saw my fare as a lattitude, and should get a free bag. But my confirmation from UA, and ACs website both show the $30 charge. My PNR on AC site also shows it is standard, but continues to allow me to select preferred seats for free. Interestingly enough, I found an email from a June award, again, on AC via MP miles, that I ended up canceling, but that showed a $30 bag fee as well.

So I guess I can report back my experience when I fly on the bag fee. But it seems at least they haven't fixed all of the fare type mapping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.