Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
Seat Assignments/Upgrade Options for UA Codeshare on Air Canada Metal?

I have an upcoming UA flight (operated by Air Canada) which is a Boeing 777-200LR, but since it will not let me get seats assigned (booked in BF) on this leg I cannot tell if it is 2 cabin or 3 cabin and don't know how to identify which it would be.

Anyone have tips on how to do that? Also, if it is 3 cabin can I call them and try and apply a GPU, since it also will not let me do that online?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 28, 2014 at 5:23 pm Reason: retitled thread
Old May 28, 2014, 9:09 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
If it's Air Canada metal, it's only a 2-class flight--they do not offer an international first class product. Also note that GPUs cannot be used on Air Canada.

You should be able to call Air Canada to get seat assignments...And perhaps do through their website if you have the AC confirmation number--should be listed at the top of your itinerary when viewing it on united.com.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I appreciate the education.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:12 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As to the version/variant of the AC 777, you could try doing a dummy booking on the AC website for the AC flight operating as UA and look at the seat map there. Also, if you look at your UA reservation, up near the top, you should see a link saying something like "view additional confirmation numbers" where you will find the AC PNR and perhaps you can assign yourself seats using the AC website or calling AC using that PNR?
Old May 28, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
As to the version/variant of the AC 777, you could try doing a dummy booking on the AC website for the AC flight operating as UA and look at the seat map there. Also, if you look at your UA reservation, up near the top, you should see a link saying something like "view additional confirmation numbers" where you will find the AC PNR and perhaps you can assign yourself seats using the AC website or calling AC using that PNR?
Great tips, I always love the creative ideas I get by listening to the pros!
Old May 28, 2014, 9:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by micmcguire
Great tips, I always love the creative ideas I get by listening to the pros!
We all aim to please and let us know how it works out
Old May 28, 2014, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You may be able to see a seat map on the AC website, but you will not be able to assign seats. Have to call AC for that. And likely wait forever on hold.

AC does have three-class flights, but that's business, premium economy, and economy. Never F.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
We all aim to please and let us know how it works out
I was able to log into air canada with PNR and it has a seat assigned (8k) but when I go to the seat selection tool the link for change seats is not clickable!
Old May 28, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by micmcguire
I was able to log into air canada with PNR and it has a seat assigned (8k) but when I go to the seat selection tool the link for change seats is not clickable!
That's generally the case for AC flights not booked by AC
Old May 28, 2014, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Yes, I think you will have to call Air Canada with the Air Canada PNR and they should be able to get your seat assignments. I had to do this for some AC flights booked as award travel on UA's website.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The best way to get AC seat assignments, by leaps and bounds, is to contact them on Twitter.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:25 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The best way to get AC seat assignments, by leaps and bounds, is to contact them on Twitter.
^

Thanks for the tip. Much easier than calling.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
+1. Had the identical problem to solve this week, and phoning them is just an exercise in frustration. I tried multiple times, day and night, weekday and weekend, and was always quoted phone hold times of more than one hour. Makes UA phone res look absolutely fabulous. I don't see how they can do business this way without being embarrassed in the media, but obviously they get away with it somehow. (There is an option to leave your number for an automated call back one hour later, so you don't have to hold.) I'd say this was a third-world airline, but I've dealt with Uzbekistan Airways and they are far better on the phone.

Last edited by Starman; May 31, 2014 at 11:38 am
Old May 31, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You can pick your seat here if you have the AC PNR (they worked nearly 2 years to get this link up - and it only works sometimes)

Depending on your booking class, a seat assignment may cost money.

An hour on hold with AC is standard operating procedures for this joke of an airline.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can pick your seat here if you have the AC PNR

Depending on your booking class, a seat assignment may cost money.

An hour on hold with AC is standard operating procedures for this joke of an airline.
I've never actually gotten the external-booked seat selector site to work. But YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.