Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Summary: Call Air Canada.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
For future reference, this is the backdoor AC site that allows seat selection on tickets booked elsewhere:
https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Print Wikipost

How do I get seat assignment on an Air Canada Flight booked with United?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
In my experience, you need to call Air Canada and be prepared to wait on hold for an hour to speak to an agent. I tried doing it online and my assignment did not stick.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Seat assignments are always handled by the operating carrier -- you will need to call or do online with AC.
Believe it or not, but AC has much worse IT than UA. You'll have to call in. I suggest queuing up some television and making popcorn as hold times are often longer than an hour.

Make sure AC knows he's disabled, otherwise they'll try to charge you for reasonable seats.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
In my experience, you need to call Air Canada and be prepared to wait on hold for an hour to speak to an agent.
Originally Posted by astroflyer
You'll have to call in. I suggest queuing up some television and making popcorn as hold times are often longer than an hour.
There's nothing like calling AC for a seat assignment to make you suddenly appreciate being a UA elite.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
There's nothing like calling AC for a seat assignment to make you suddenly appreciate being a UA elite.
very true

also appreciate the TOD prices relative to what AC charges for cash upgrades.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
I was able to get a seat assignment by calling AC.

It was a few years ago, but it should work.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, aircanada.com does not seem to allow you to do anything with reservations that are booked elsewhere.

Calling frequently involves a long wait.

You can call UA to request them to request a seat. If it works, you might actually get pretty good seats. If it does not, then call AC at 888-AIR-CANA
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:32 pm

There have been reports that tweeting AC for a seat assignment can be faster than calling. Pony Express would be faster than calling. You do have to call or tweet -- their online system will not assign seats to an itinerary booked by another airline. And, like everyone else upthread, when I've called, it's been an hour or more waiting, regardless of time of day. It's incredible that a service company can stay in business with an attitude like that, but, they do.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Starman
There have been reports that tweeting AC for a seat assignment can be faster than calling. Pony Express would be faster than calling. You do have to call or tweet -- their online system will not assign seats to an itinerary booked by another airline. And, like everyone else upthread, when I've called, it's been an hour or more waiting, regardless of time of day. It's incredible that a service company can stay in business with an attitude like that, but, they do.
Was just about to offer this suggestion. I've found AC to be pretty quick with seat requests via Twitter.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It's incredible that a service company can stay in business with an attitude like that, but, they do.
Because they're effectively a ward of the state, making money doesn't seem to be a priority and they know they'll never disappear. This became especially true after they swallowed up Canadian.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
you need to call Air Canada and be prepared to wait on hold for an hour to speak to an agent.
Or six minutes. That's how long it took me last night.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
It's incredible that a service company can stay in business with an attitude like that, but, they do.
They're basically a flag carrier with a captive market (unlike the Gulf flag carriers who compete with each other on multiple levels.)

Canadians hate them, but Westjet doesn't have the alliance/international routes.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:04 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
There was a time when one could book their seats from the UA web site, but then many years back it suddenly stopped.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC actually has better service than UA both on the ground and in the air. Their lounges are much better and their transborder ERJs have free TV.

I guess the phone thing is probably one of their ways of discouraging people from using anything else but Internet and of course Aeroplan has gone down the hill ever since then spun it off.

The lack of competition is definitely something but the US market is also starting to see the result of lack of competition.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
My calls to AC for seat assignments have been tedious for the most part. Last time, I didn't have a PNR.

I gave the agent my flight number, name, departing city, etc. Agent said, "without the PNR, I have no way of seeing your flight."

"No way?" I questioned.

"Well, I can see it, but I can't allow you to do anything with it unless you give me the PNR. Security reasons."

After a game of 20 questions to determine I am me and not someone else, I was able to get my seat assignment.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
you have just made a huge mistake, you need to call AC and wait forever for a rude agent to give you a seat.
Next you might be shocked to find out your plane is Rouge with 28" seat pitch.
You will soon learn never to get on an AC flight because you probably wont get 100% status miles.
There is some good news the lounges are better than United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.