Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by maduarte
Due to a miscalculation, I find myself in an interesting situation: by the end of the year, I will have 101000 PQM but only $9925 PQD. Any ideas on how to get the additional $75, other than scheduling an additional flight? It seems that Economy Plus grants PQDs, but as a 1K i get it for free...

Originally Posted by steveman518
I don't really think there's another way...
Book a flight without logging in to UA.com.

Buy up to E+. Spend the $75.

Add your MP number later.

Pure speculation on my part, I have no idea if this would work.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Wouldn't it be easiest to book an award ticket, pay whatever extra for the RDMs (accelerator), then cancel the award ticket? I wouldn't trust an expenditure to stick if the MP number wasn't input at that time.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Wouldn't it be easiest to book an award ticket, pay whatever extra for the RDMs (accelerator), then cancel the award ticket? I wouldn't trust an expenditure to stick if the MP number wasn't input at that time.
Accelerator does not earn PQD's...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA

I really like this idea.. however it would require him to book another flight... THEN pay for E+..

Then again, if he still has to book his X-mas travel, etc.. just using .bomb finding what booking class is available, then using Advanced to bump up to whatever he needs in terms of PQD (ex. .bomb is pricing into E/E RT, so go back in and specify M in advanced to purposely bump up the fare/PQD).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tblack15
I really like this idea.. however it would require him to book another flight... THEN pay for E+..

Then again, if he still has to book his X-mas travel, etc.. just using .bomb finding what booking class is available, then using Advanced to bump up to whatever he needs in terms of PQD (ex. .bomb is pricing into E/E RT, so go back in and specify M in advanced to purposely bump up the fare/PQD).
Right. This strategy (if it is even executable) would require some foresight / forward planning so you don't have to book another flight (which would get you the $75 anyway).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Accelerator does not earn PQD's...
OK, then if the system's still broken, it will allow you to pay for an upgrade to E+ on an award reservation for someone else, even though they get it (and you can choose it) automatically if booked on miles from your (an elite's) account. At least it appears you can do so; I've never gone on the way through to the end and pulled the trigger.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:02 pm

OK, then if the system's still broken, it will allow you to pay for an upgrade to E+ on an award reservation for someone else, even though they get it (and you can choose it) automatically if booked on miles from your (an elite's) account. At least it appears you can do so; I've never gone on the way through to the end and pulled the trigger.
Come on, be the guinea pig!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:55 pm

Come on, be the guinea pig!
You mean it's not enough to trust my life to paper-thin plastic parts at 45mph with nothing but air between my skin and asphalt?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Interesting... so by "broken" you mean that if I make an awards reservation for someone, and then I pay for their E+, since the reservation appears under my MP number then I would get the PQDs for that E+? I may be able to give this a try by the end of the month.

Otherwise, what I'm seeing might be best is to book a one-way IAD-BDL for $85+tax, and use miles to book BDL-IAD earlier in the day. This shouldn't take more than half a day of my time... but I'd still prefer a solution that doesn't involve additional travel.

Last edited by maduarte; Oct 7, 2014 at 9:43 pm Reason: Added timing for test :-)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by maduarte
Interesting... so by "broken" you mean that if I make an awards reservation for someone, and then I pay for their E+, since the reservation appears under my MP number then I would get the PQDs for that E+? I may be able to give this a try by the end of the month.

Otherwise, what I'm seeing might be best is to book a one-way IAD-BDL for $85+tax, and use miles to book BDL-IAD earlier in the day. This shouldn't take more than half a day of my time... but I'd still prefer a solution that doesn't involve additional travel.
I've made several award reservations for my girlfriend on my miles and never been prompted to pay for E+. Even on the phone the agent says "and because she's flying under your miles she's entitled to E+". I'm pretty sure the only benefit she doesn't get is CPU possibility...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Tblack15
I've made several award reservations for my girlfriend on my miles and never been prompted to pay for E+. Even on the phone the agent says "and because she's flying under your miles she's entitled to E+". I'm pretty sure the only benefit she doesn't get is CPU possibility...
I checked yesterday with an award reservation by selecting E+ for an award ticket for a relative and got all the way to the credit card payment information page. So the money can be spent, but I'd like to get some evidence from the board that the miles indeed are credited back to the award sponsor.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:39 pm
smn

Sadly, I'm flying over 50k in the next 6 weeks (more than I've ever flown before) and will end the year at 105,000 PQM, but only around $8600 PQD

However, I do have 2 long intl trips coming up, and thinking of buying up to BF if offered. Can anyone clarify for me whether buying up to BF counts towards PQD? I can think of 3 ways, but don't know what (if any) counts:

1) Buy up if offered on my reservation screen prior to travel

2) TOD upgrade at airport

3) Miles + CoPay (does CoPay count as PQD?)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by smn
Sadly, I'm flying over 50k in the next 6 weeks (more than I've ever flown before) and will end the year at 105,000 PQM, but only around $8600 PQD

However, I do have 2 long intl trips coming up, and thinking of buying up to BF if offered. Can anyone clarify for me whether buying up to BF counts towards PQD? I can think of 3 ways, but don't know what (if any) counts:

Per my previous post I did an online buy-up, and that counted in my PQDs and I bought up from E into P for cheap.

1. Yes.
2. Hmmmmm yes? Not 100%, but I don't see why not.
3. This is a GREAT question. I could be convinced either way. It really is a question on how UA sees copays... Change fees, etc. are not PQD eligible, but E+ is.. I'm not sure how many people use miles/co-pay to upgrade but would love to hear if it's PQD eligible..
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by smn

Yes/No/No
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
By my calculation Im going to be 5k miles short of 1k, what are my options?

Hi all, this is my first post. I read often but never posted before.

So, I have been 1k for 2 years now and was on my way for the 3rd year. Unfortunately looks like i'll be short 5k miles by DEC 31st.

I'm way over the PQD, reached it in April. Have about 100 segments. If i contact United does anyone know what options will they give me? Is its even worth it or should I somehow try to squeeze a international trip?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.