Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3 70 lb. bags instead of 2
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability

A full list of differences is available here:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Question Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently at 53K EQM and am trying to figure out if I should go for the 75K Prem Exec + level...for the regionals/UG priority...

I fly mostly domestic, have had good UDU experiences...though usually I'm one of the last to clear....

Would you guys/gals go for it? I'm out of SFO.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by SFnFlaGuy
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently at 53K EQM and am trying to figure out if I should go for the 75K Prem Exec + level...for the regionals/UG priority...

I fly mostly domestic, have had good UDU experiences...though usually I'm one of the last to clear....

Would you guys/gals go for it? I'm out of SFO.

Thanks!
Hopefully 75k+ will net you free changes on award tickets in next year's program. Thats the #1 reason I'd go for it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm in about the same position you are (out of WAS), and the advice I've gotten here has basically been to hang on until the 2012 rules come out before making the commitment.

Though I'm leaning towards getting at LEAST 75k, maybe 1K
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Originally Posted by brianfromwa
I'm in about the same position you are (out of WAS), and the advice I've gotten here has basically been to hang on until the 2012 rules come out before making the commitment.

Though I'm leaning towards getting at LEAST 75k, maybe 1K
Thank you both for the replies.....I'm torn.

Brian...where from WA are you out of? I split my time between SFO and SEA actually.....at the most I'd do 75K....can't see myself going for 1K this late in the game....unless there a DEQM promo.

Maybe we can do some MR's together...lol
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I went to HS in Lacey, moved back to Bremerton with the Navy, and then Kent after I left active duty. But I moved in March out to the DC area. Hence, the switch from Alaska Air to United
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

I went to HS in Lacey, moved back to Bremerton with the Navy, and then Kent after I left active duty. But I moved in March out to the DC area. Hence, the switch from Alaska Air to United
Oh ....now I get it.....thought you were still flying out of SEA....lol I didn't catch you said WAS vs WA....
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Yeah I'm on hold waiting to book flights as I'm in the same boat as you
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:47 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
What would you gain as a result of not going for 75k miles? Money saved, status on another airline, etc? Would you basically be buying those extra 22k miles through mileage runs?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
I'm at 60k booked/flown this year and I'm also waiting for the new rules before deciding if I'll bother with the final 15 ^

There's no point sinking another (voluntary/needless) $2k into MP if they are going to cut the RDM earning bonuses next year
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by roknroll
What would you gain as a result of not going for 75k miles? Money saved, status on another airline, etc? Would you basically be buying those extra 22k miles through mileage runs?
That's a fair question. I'm just shy of 53K right now and literally 10 minutes ago was trying to look at the Plat benefits to see what it was worth. But what is my alternative, to gain status on another airline? I might as well just get my 75K and if I need to go for a status match elsewhere, then I will.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Bushdog
That's a fair question. I'm just shy of 53K right now and literally 10 minutes ago was trying to look at the Plat benefits to see what it was worth. But what is my alternative, to gain status on another airline? I might as well just get my 75K and if I need to go for a status match elsewhere, then I will.
Thanks again for everyone's input. True true....I'm on the fence and also looked at the Plat Benefits at DL etc....I would agree that, if I were to match status to another carrier, I'd rather go for 75K/Plat on UA then match over....

However, the sad thing is, looking at my travel patterns, and where I'm based out of, there really is NO alternative for me than just stay with UA...sigh

DL sucks for redemption, AA has no frequency/widebody out of SFO and doesn't even match status....you have to do a challenge, Alaska...well...lets just say there are limited in what they can offer me...no Star Alliance or One World....US Airways I don't really care for and I'll end up on UA anyways since I split my time between here and SEA....but would they even match my UA status? VX ...not really an option...coach is very cramped for me on their planes....

I just hate being stuck....with all that said....even if the horrendous changes were true.....I think UA would still be the best for me......there I said it...gosh that was hard...lol

I think the main reason to go for 75K for me would be UG priority....as a 1P for this year...I've cleared about 75% but most of the time was the last one...or sometimes the only one to clear....I'm almost certain if the new level kicks in that I'll be a bit lower on the list....but with the pending changes who knows where anyone will end up on the list....arrrrgh...hate uncertainty....
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:15 am

I'm going for it...

with some artificial travel included, I am going to achieve 0P / ZP (zeroP) / PP (Premier Platinum). Not sure what this level will be called here on FT...

My goal is 75,001 EQM's.

Obviously there is an element of hope on my part in achieving this level, as we have no official confirmation of the benefits that will be offered at this level, or if in fact 75K will even be a status level at all...
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's pretty clear there will be four elite tiers next year and short of the top one (and GS or MM) it will be better to be second from the top than third (or fourth).
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I am going to achieve 0P / ZP (zeroP) / PP (Premier Platinum). Not sure what this level will be called here on FT...
You could call it Plat, that's the 75K level on CO.

But mulling over the same thing - 60-65K EQM flown or now flown yet but paid for YTD.

EmailKid
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:02 pm

I am in a similar situation as I have reached Plat but am wondering whether it's worth it to reach 1k (or 1k equivalent) besides the 6 SWUs.

I think i'll wait a few weeks and see what the new MP program looks like (they said the end of september).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.