Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
If your PQD is over $15K they will most likely give you the status. You can always purchase PQM to be sure if you don't want to travel.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
but PQM are ridiculously expensive. PQD are at $18k will be way over $25k by the end of the year.

You sure they would just give it to me?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Hdias
but PQM are ridiculously expensive. PQD are at $18k will be way over $25k by the end of the year.

I would not count on them giving it to you.

You can buy PQM.

You can take a mileage run. If you look now, you might be able to find a combination of flights that gets you those 5K miles for a few hundred dollars and some hours in a plane. If you're lucky, they'll be flights you can get CPU'd on.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum

PQM get more expensive as you get closer to the end of the year, so if you know you'll fall short, I'd buy it now.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Short answer on your options:

1. Mileage run. Look for a cheap fare -- if you can get 4-5 cents per mile and the right routing, it will only cost you $200-$250.

2. On your next flight, check out the PQM offer.

3. Buy a flight, see what they offer in terms of purchasing PQM. Buy the miles and then cancel the original flight (within 24 hours).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by drewguy
I would not count on them giving it to you.

You can take a mileage run. If you look now, you might be able to find a combination of flights that gets you those 5K miles for a few hundred dollars and some hours in a plane.
I say go with mileage run. I get some of my best work done on a mileage run. Great down time without having to walk the dog or answer the phone.

...or you can do something over the edge like what I do and that is to fly to Hawaii for a hula pie at Dukes on the beach at Waikiki and then fly home...live a little I say.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
i would be up for a millage run for under $500. I actually a have a $350 and a $500 credit with them. But not having any luck finding a round trip ticket over weekend that will give me 5k miles for these prices
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jewels421
Short answer on your options:

1. Mileage run. Look for a cheap fare -- if you can get 4-5 cents per mile and the right routing, it will only cost you $200-$250.
Concur with the mileage run idea. I was able to do DCA-IAH-LAX-EWR-DCA on a Saturday (red-eye on LAX-EWR) last year for about $320 r/t. Best of all, it only required one RPU.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
UA will not give you the status. Take a MR to earn 5k. Got to Vegas for a night!

If you have time on any of your remaining trips, look at doing same day changes to a longer route or add extra segments. This will boost your PQM's and cost nothing but a couple more hours travel time.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Oct 17, 2014 at 5:56 pm
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
i would be up for a millage run for under $500. I actually a have a $350 and a $500 credit with them. But not having any luck finding a round trip ticket over weekend that will give me 5k miles for these prices
Your challenge may be that you're starting in the middle of the country. Domestic mileage runs are much easier for us folks on the coasts.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Flyingeagle
I say go with mileage run. I get some of my best work done on a mileage run. Great down time without having to walk the dog or answer the phone.

...or you can do something over the edge like what I do and that is to fly to Hawaii for a hula pie at Dukes on the beach at Waikiki and then fly home...live a little I say.
+1 - just quickly checked fares mid-week from Omaha to Seattle / Miami - both can be had under $400 and should give you the right number of miles after your 1k bonus...

Good luck - really think a mileage run is the most efficicent (financially) way to get what you need. Fly to Miami - have a great night - fly back...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA very unlikely to grant you the status and you certainly won't find out in advance. As UA sells PQM, it is functionally giving them to you as a freebie if it grants status.

Your choices really are to spend the money and purchase the PQM, spend the money and blow a weekend or be content with Plat.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by denuaflier
If your PQD is over $15K they will most likely give you the status. You can always purchase PQM to be sure if you don't want to travel.
Seriously? Not many reports that this is true.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - just quickly checked fares mid-week from Omaha to Seattle / Miami - both can be had under $400 and should give you the right number of miles after your 1k bonus...

Good luck - really think a mileage run is the most efficicent (financially) way to get what you need. Fly to Miami - have a great night - fly back...
1K bonus? Those don't count for status.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Baze
1K bonus? Those don't count for status.
Sorry - you are right it's fare class bonus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.