Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:06 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by agnelson
I have three upcoming trips before the end of the calendar year, and it looks like I'll be just 522 PQM's short of status. I have a round-trip, a multiple city (4 legs), and another round-trip around Christmas (although it will only be a one-way as far as PQM's are concerned since the return leg isn't until 2015).
You may be more than 522 PQMs short. Don't assume your late-December trip will actually get off the ground. Countless flights failed to fly last winter. Tight capacity and tons of stranded people trying to rebook. Days delay. Giving up and going home. No reason to think this winter will be any kinder. Certainly not something on which to bet a whole year's status.

RNE, suggesting a few thousand Accelerator PQMs may provide just the cushion you need.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RNE
You may be more than 522 PQMs short. Don't assume your late-December trip will actually get off the ground. Countless flights failed to fly last winter. Tight capacity and tons of stranded people trying to rebook. Days delay. Giving up and going home. No reason to think this winter will be any kinder. Certainly not something on which to bet a whole year's status.

RNE, suggesting a few thousand Accelerator PQMs may provide just the cushion you need.
And if needed PQDs are also dependent on that late December trip....
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
SDC is your friend

Originally Posted by arctikjon
Is there a way to get miles other than flying them or buying them??

Nope.

Actually when you check into these flights you will likely get the option to buy additional miles for the flight... this should get you there without buy 9000 miles. You only seem to get the offers at the kiosk though (not if you check in via the United app).
I once flied from a hub to home, I SDC'ed to CLE to visit my son and SDC'ed back to the same hub and back to home.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Originally Posted by maduarte
I checked yesterday with an award reservation by selecting E+ for an award ticket for a relative and got all the way to the credit card payment information page. So the money can be spent, but I'd like to get some evidence from the board that the miles indeed are credited back to the award sponsor.
Just following up on this - my relative's trip is complete and I have not been credited the ~$100 PQDs for their E+, even though I have been credited my own PQMs from the same trip (paid ticket). Again, looking for evidence that such credit has been given before so that I can make a claim... and still $75 short of 1K PQD req's. :-(
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I checked yesterday with an award reservation by selecting E+ for an award ticket for a relative and got all the way to the credit card payment information page. So the money can be spent, but I'd like to get some evidence from the board that the miles indeed are credited back to the award sponsor.
Just following up on this - my relative's trip is complete and I have not been credited the ~$100 PQDs for their E+, even though I have been credited my own PQMs from the same trip (paid ticket). Again, looking for evidence that such credit has been given before so that I can make a claim... and still $75 short of 1K PQD req's. :-(
Credit goes to the traveler, not the payer. This true for PQMs, RDMs and PQDs.

As UA states, "How do I earn PQD?"
Just as with PQM and PQS, we will credit the account of the member who travels, not the member who purchases the ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Just took my last planned flight on UA this past weekend (HKG->ORD) and am currently sitting at $4,907 PQD with >50k PQM. I've really been struggling to find anything reasonably priced this month on the UA website ex-ORD for a same day run to get the necessary $100 PQD for gold.

Are same day mileage runs notoriously expensive these days? I must admit it has been a long time since I've needed to do a run (long before this whole PQD thing was introduced) and would greatly appreciate any tools you all use to help find some reasonably priced flights!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by domzals1
Just took my last planned flight on UA this past weekend (HKG->ORD) and am currently sitting at $4,907 PQD with >50k PQM. I've really been struggling to find anything reasonably priced this month on the UA website ex-ORD for a same day run to get the necessary $100 PQD for gold.

Are same day mileage runs notoriously expensive these days? I must admit it has been a long time since I've needed to do a run (long before this whole PQD thing was introduced) and would greatly appreciate any tools you all use to help find some reasonably priced flights!

Not sure if you can fly on the weekend but there are usually cheap weekend deals every week
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: United
New to This

Due to travel budget cuts need to get 6K miles or 6 segments to make lowly silver status on United by years end from ORD. How do I do this as inexpensively as possible? Thank you.

Last edited by bnfathers; Nov 16, 2014 at 10:18 am Reason: omitted airline
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
You should check out the mileage run deals for things ex-ORD.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:00 am

Buy or Fly - final 5k miles to 1k

I've been 1k for a few years running and this year I'm scheduled to only hit 95k on UA due to some extra travel on Delta and a 3 month sabbatical from travel for fatherhood. I'm not going to enter 2015 as platinum as it's bad enough as a 1K so i don't wish to revisit 2010 status levels.

Would you use premier accelerator to grab the extra miles at .13 a clip or hunt a mileage run out between 12/20 and 12/30 when I have time to do an out and back to west coast? The cheapest flights I can find are all in the $600 to $1000 range which to be away from home, and another plane, for 15 hours of flying doesn't seem like a great time.

I have a IAD - LAX round trip in two weeks that I can purchase premier accelerator miles at $.13 a mile but at 12k miles so more than I need and about 1200 out of pocket. My other remaining trip is a DCA>IAH>PHX round trip and they're offering the same .13 a mile at 12k miles. The IAD>LHR trip I'm on right now was $.25 a mile which would have been $4k out of pocket and just an absurd offer.

Any comments/advice appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Financially, you've nearly answered your question but did not factor in the RDMs you would earn with the MR. So the only question which needs answering is how much you value your time.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
WELCME TO FlyerTalk, sajix2!!!

Another consideration here is hw PQD factors in. Without $10k in PQD getting 100k in PQM is not going to result in 1K status. Purchases of PQM do not count toward PQD.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by sajix2
Would you use premier accelerator to grab the extra miles at .13 a clip or hunt a mileage run out between 12/20 and 12/30 when I have time to do an out and back to west coast? The cheapest flights I can find are all in the $600 to $1000 range which to be away from home, and another plane, for 15 hours of flying doesn't seem like a great time.
It seems you may have answered your own question. If you i) really do want 1K and ii) do not want to be away from home, buying up seems logical. You probably can't SDC enough to make up 5,000 miles with only a few flights left. That time of year is brutal for cheap flights. Every so often, you can find a weird connecting itinerary in First to save some flying, but I haven't checked.

Also, welcome to FT!

Last edited by fjfv19; Nov 18, 2014 at 8:58 am
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sajix2
I've been 1k for a few years running and this year I'm scheduled to only hit 95k on UA due to some extra travel on Delta and a 3 month sabbatical from travel for fatherhood. I'm not going to enter 2015 as platinum as it's bad enough as a 1K so i don't wish to revisit 2010 status levels.

I have a IAD - LAX round trip in two weeks that I can purchase premier accelerator miles at $.13 a mile but at 12k miles so more than I need and about 1200 out of pocket. My other remaining trip is a DCA>IAH>PHX round trip and they're offering the same .13 a mile at 12k miles. The IAD>LHR trip I'm on right now was $.25 a mile which would have been $4k out of pocket and just an absurd offer.

Any comments/advice appreciated.
If I'm not mistaken, the final mileage from 75K to 100K to make 1K can't be bought. Your purchasing of the accelerator assuming you have enough dollars will not get you 1K. It would need to be actual flown miles. This was last years program rules.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by eyuro
If I'm not mistaken, the final mileage from 75K to 100K to make 1K can't be bought. Your purchasing of the accelerator assuming you have enough dollars will not get you 1K. It would need to be actual flown miles. This was last years program rules.
You're mistaken. You can use accelerator miles towards 1K status. Perhaps you're thinking of Flex PQMs, which can't be used towards 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.