Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Soft Landings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
2014 Soft Landings

I was pleasantly surprised to have received an e-mail from United that I had been granted Premier Silver status for the 2014 year, despite the fact that I only flew around 16,000 miles with them last year. I have switched the vast majority of my business over to AA, and will continue to do so, but for times when AA doesn't work/make sense, it is nice to know that I have some status with another domestic airline. Frankly, being based in Colorado, UA makes way more sense than AA to begin with, but I've switched to AA because they value their elites and have better all around service, especially in premium cabins.

It is nice to see that all my years of being elite, and having many years of 1K perhaps mean SOMETHING, and I was granted Premier Silver status. I remember when I first became a 2P, and thought how cool it was, and yet again, I am grateful for the status. Thanks, UA, for the late Christmas present! ^

Anybody else receive a soft landing?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I was pleasantly surprised to have received an e-mail from United that I had been granted Premier Silver status for the 2014 year, despite the fact that I only flew around 16,000 miles with them last year. I have switched the vast majority of my business over to AA, and will continue to do so, but for times when AA doesn't work/make sense, it is nice to know that I have some status with another domestic airline. Frankly, being based in Colorado, UA makes way more sense than AA to begin with, but I've switched to AA because they value their elites and have better all around service, especially in premium cabins.

It is nice to see that all my years of being elite, and having many years of 1K perhaps mean SOMETHING, and I was granted Premier Silver status. I remember when I first became a 2P, and thought how cool it was, and yet again, I am grateful for the status. Thanks, UA, for the late Christmas present! ^

Anybody else receive a soft landing?
Not over here, I finished with 19,000 miles with UA but had never had a status with them before so I can see why they have already forgotten my name

Congratulations though
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Yes, congrats.
Now that you are no longer 1K you will probably get more less expensive buy ups, targeted deals, and upgrades!
You are officially under entitled.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: UA GS & 1MM, Carlson Concierge, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, BW Diamond
my colleague received continuing Gold status despite not even reaching 25k miles last year.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Missed 124 miles to 75K. Got PP till 02/2015.

Last edited by invisible; Jan 20, 2014 at 8:44 am
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm enjoying my last 10 days of 1K. I only made Gold this year since I didn't start flying until May and a segment warrior to boot. I emailed 1K voice and explained why I was qualifying only for Gold and asked them after years of being a 1K would you please soft land me to Premier Exec (or whatever it's called for 2014). Nope. Nada.

I replied again pleading my case and also asked for a year extension on my 4 GPU's that also expire in 10 days. Nope. Nada.

Flyer friendly!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
~18,000 PQM's in 2013 after several years at 1K. Nada for me too. Oh well. I'm actually enjoying life pretty well as an ATL-based Delta elite.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:12 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
So out of one side of their mouth, UA makes getting status harder (adding PQD), while out of the other, they make getting it easier (via soft landings, bumps for those who weren't close, etc.).

Count me
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm enjoying my last 10 days of 1K. I only made Gold this year since I didn't start flying until May and a segment warrior to boot. I emailed 1K voice and explained why I was qualifying only for Gold and asked them after years of being a 1K would you please soft land me to Premier Exec (or whatever it's called for 2014). Nope. Nada.

I replied again pleading my case and also asked for a year extension on my 4 GPU's that also expire in 10 days. Nope. Nada.

Flyer friendly!
But you said you will be Gold for this year. What did you want them to do?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
But you said you will be Gold for this year. What did you want them to do?
Yes I PDQ'd for Premier Gold for 2014. I was seeking a soft landing from 1K to Premier Platinum, which I didn't get.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:24 am
Suspended

Yes I PDQ'd for Premier Gold for 2014. I was seeking a soft landing from 1K to Premier Platinum, which I didn't get.
Ah - the "Premier Exec" piece threw me off, since that's generally considered to be equal to gold
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah - the "Premier Exec" piece threw me off, since that's generally considered to be equal to gold
Yes. Sorry for the confusion. Since most of my flying is in torture tubes across the MW the only benefit I will certainly miss is the 100% mileage match. At least I can pick E+ at time of booking. Then again that means jack on an ERJ-145.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. Since most of my flying is in torture tubes across the MW the only benefit I will certainly miss is the 100% mileage match. At least I can pick E+ at time of booking. Then again that means jack on an ERJ-145.
It means 12A, which is about the only thing that makes that aircraft bearable!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It means 12A, which is about the only thing that makes that aircraft bearable!
I guess I can keep my yellow handle wrap on...who would know? It seriously saves me time as my bag is usually the first to be offloaded in the jetway.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I guess I can keep my yellow handle wrap on...who would know? It seriously saves me time as my bag is usually the first to be offloaded in the jetway.
Unitl they change the color, like they did with the booz vouchers this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.