Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr
UAL

earnings released: Thursday, July 24,2014 9:30 am CST/10:30 EST

If you missed the live webcast of the 2nd Q earnings conference call, it is now available for replay for a limited time and will later be archived.
A transcript is now available also.
Click this link for access to replay and transcript of call:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23227909-post151.html

Current 2Q 2014 UAL guidance (4/24/14 investor update):

PRASM +1-3%
ASM "quarter, flat to +1%, full year +.5 to 1.5%"
CASM ex fuel, "quarter +1.25 to 2.25%, full year +1-2%"
Analyst guidance/actual 2Q 2013 results:

6/5/14 estimates:
1.86/share (using the 367M shares from last release $682M profit ex special items) [2q 2013 actual was $521M; $1.35/share ex specials; $469M GAAP]
Revenue 10.33B (3.3% growth) [2q 2013 was $10B]

Actual results:
- $789m GAAP Net income, $2.34/share. 7.6% margin
- $919m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.9% margin
- $906m Operating Income (8.8% margin)
- $1.08B Operating Income excluding specials (10.4% margin)

- PRASM up 3.7%, yield up 3.0%; domestic yield +6.8%
- ASM -0.1%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items down 0.2%
- Operating Revenue: $10.33B (up 3.3%); Passenger Revenue $8.98B( up3.6%)
- $1.5B in operating cash flow

Links to UA Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:

DAL
earnings released: Wednesday July 23 at 10 edt. Call link: https://event.on24.com/eventRegistra...epage=register

Actual results:

- $801m GAAP Net income, $0.94/diluted share. 7.5% margin
- $889m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.4% margin
Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $1.4 billion.
- $1.58B Operating Income (14.9% margin)
- $1.61B Operating Income excluding specials (15.1% margin)

- PRASM up 5.7%, yield up 3.8%; domestic yield +7.4%
- ASM +3.2%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was FLAT
- Operating Revenue: $10.62B (up 9%); Passenger Revenue $9.27B ( up9%)
- Over $2.0B in operating cash flow and $1.5B in free cash, net debt $7.9B

3Q projections
: Operating margin +15 to +17%, CASM +0 to 2%, "unit revenues" (I take to be PRASM - spin) +2-4% "driven by continued corporate and domestic strength, along with benefits from our revenue initiatives."

Links to DL Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:
http://news.delta.com/2014-07-23-Del...Quarter-Profit

AAL - earnings call: July 24, 2014 at 12:30 cdt
link to call: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....estorrelations

Estimates/AAL guidance:

2Q PRASM +5-7% (updated estimate from 6/9/14 traffic release). YTD ASM +2.5%.

Actual results:

- $864m GAAP Net income
- $1.5B Net Income (excluding specials)
- $11.4B Revenue (+10.2%)

- Yeld +6.5% (17.34)
- PRASM up 5.9%, (14.57)
- ASM +3.1%
- CASM +3.9% (13.61)
Print Wikipost

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
For once and for all?

I do not think so. Who knows what tomorrow will bring (one less ice cube in our drinks perhaps? )

Regardless, a strong quarter for UA.
I have noticed that the average number of ice cubes in my glass has been decreasing. Even worse it seems that when the FA was preparing my drink he prepared a Silver's drink before mine and hey I am 1K!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
United reports strong quarter, topping Wall Street earnings forecasts, silenced critics once and for all

there, fixed it for ya =)
Yes, despite continually lagging key competitors, erosion of yield..no issues at all!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Underperforming DL and AA (while DL is smaller, mind you), and being the only one of the Big 3 that does not pay a dividend, I don't think that's something to cheer about, particularly in one of the strongest quarters of the year.

They may be turning the corner, or maybe not. There's still a lot of work to do. They're not even close to where they should be.

The market seems to agree there's a lot more work to do:

AA Market Cap = $30.2B
DL Market Cap = $32.5B
UA Market Cap = $17.8B
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Well, this should make the flight attendant contract negotiations "interesting."
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Well, this should make the flight attendant contract negotiations "interesting."
This.

Congrats to UA. Don't think it was possible for even Smisek to fall any further.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I don't understand this. I've seen dozens of regular posters on this forum quite confidently informing all of us that UA is about to go bankrupt and is losing money right and left. Maybe Jeff isn't the anti-Christ after all.
While I'm happy for United's front line employees that the company enjoyed a profitable quarter, one profitable quarter does not erase the fact that Jeff and his minions aren't effective leaders, and that United is still lagging the competition and treating customers like the enemy. Operational performance is dreadful, IRROPS performance still bad, too many dark aircraft, too many aircraft with rock hard uncomfortable seats, and the front cabin food and drink is an embarrassment, compared to what it once was on legacy UA AND legacy CO.

The only people happy with Jeff are the shareholders. For employees, he's still FLIBS, and to customers, we're just wallets to be fleeced.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes, despite continually lagging key competitors, erosion of yield..no issues at all!
The earnings came in far higher than you (or any analyst) has expected, so instead of giving credit where credit is due, all I hear is continued whining :

- AA and DL took tax provision on taxes they're supposed to pay, and yet you're supposed to back them out when comparing to UA

- rising tide is lifting all boats, so it's none of UA's credit

- market cap (a measurement of market hype), is low on UA. For the record, Lehman had billions in market cap 1 month prior to their implosion.

- people only talking about UA lagging in PRASM growth and forgot that they managed to control costs a lot better than competitors.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The earnings came in far higher than you (or any analyst) has expected, so instead of giving credit where credit is due, all I hear is continued whining :

- AA and DL took tax provision on taxes they're supposed to pay, and yet you're supposed to back them out when comparing to UA

- market cap (a measurement of market hype), is low on UA. For the record, Lehman had billions in market cap 1 month prior to their implosion.

- people only talking about UA lagging in PRASM growth and forgot that they managed to control costs a lot better than competitors.
It's not "whining" - it's (accurate) recognition of mediocrity, failed strategy, and continued under-performing.

Guess what...Q2 is a good quarter generally for airlines; UA had easy comps from last year, the industry is strong right now, so they SHOULD be posting good numbers. Of course - still not as good as their competitors.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I wonder if this has something to do with their PRASM problem.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Neither AA nor DL are paying these taxes, they (and UA) have TLCFs to write them off against.

The reason why UA does not take an earnings hit is that their TLCFs are written down to 0.

Regardless of who gets the credit, they are still the lowest floating boat so when the tide goes out they will hit ground first.

But the airlines are very easy to cross compare. That UA's value is just over half the similarly size DL's shows that WS is certainly not giving Jeff a get out of jail card.
I have not compared this Q's costs, but last Q they have several items that were way high compared to DL. Easier to cut cost when you have bloat.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
What do you mean far higher? They loaded up a bunch of "special items" to cover up the earnings miss, and pushed off some big expenses to Q3. Devil's in the details.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by entropy
They don't really have many options for used aircraft.

I have a hard time believing they'll introduce a new type, or that they want a 73G-sized aircraft. Which leaves 738 ,739, 319 and 320s.

I don't think there are many 738/9's available. 319s and 320s *may* be, but for what they'd want, you'd be looking at quite old build aircraft.

DL has been very creative in what they've been up to in the used AC market. They haven't been going after the primary workhorses, the 737 and 320, but rather, the bin-ends, and putting them together.

Most airlines didn't even have the 717 on their radar. DL, with extensive experience with the MD80/90, was suited to add the '95 to their pack of mad dogs. WN, wanting consistency, didn't really want to keep their 'oddball' fleet, so they leased it to DL for cheap. What is UA going to do? knock up HA for their 18 717s? I don't think so.
Hence my point, one of their only options is to pull 757s out of the desert. Or MAYBE they will go back and pull 735s, 733s, and 762s? 737 commonality! Why not!

It's not that hard: Pull a DL and cram in 200 seats into them, add winglets & AVOD (ala PS) and boom, you are set.

This management team is just horrid when it comes to fleet strategy. They are probably thinking to go back and pull 735s and 733s out of the desert. 737 commonality! Why not!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by entropy
They don't really have many options for used aircraft.

I have a hard time believing they'll introduce a new type, or that they want a 73G-sized aircraft. Which leaves 738 ,739, 319 and 320s.

I don't think there are many 738/9's available. 319s and 320s *may* be, but for what they'd want, you'd be looking at quite old build aircraft.

DL has been very creative in what they've been up to in the used AC market. They haven't been going after the primary workhorses, the 737 and 320, but rather, the bin-ends, and putting them together.

Most airlines didn't even have the 717 on their radar. DL, with extensive experience with the MD80/90, was suited to add the '95 to their pack of mad dogs. WN, wanting consistency, didn't really want to keep their 'oddball' fleet, so they leased it to DL for cheap. What is UA going to do? knock up HA for their 18 717s? I don't think so.
Hence my point, one of their only options is to pull 757s out of the desert. Just saw a pic on A.net -- N557UA is sitting in Mojave and it's stored:

http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b757-26653.htm

1992 builds don't seem that bad after all, eh?

It's not that hard: Pull a DL and cram in 200 seats into them, add winglets & AVOD (ala PS) and boom, you are set.

This management team is just horrid when it comes to fleet strategy. They are probably thinking to go back and pull 735s and 733s out of the desert. 737 commonality! Why not!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Only 1? More inconsistency and dark planes. Whoo-Hoo.

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that made me ditch UA for DL. As much as I'm not a huge fan of MD's, at least they have wifi.
What are you talking about? This is the only 753 that has gotten it's entertainment system removed. The original CO 753s still have DirecTV, and all other ex-ATA 753s still have the drop down monitors. . The one without the monitors also has wifi installed. It's tail #860. Only the ex-ATA 753s are getting the monitors removed and installed with streaming content. The CO ones will keep the DirecTV systems.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
What are you talking about? This is the only 753 that has gotten it's entertainment system removed. The original CO 753s still have DirecTV, and all other ex-ATA 753s still have the drop down monitors. . The one without the monitors also has wifi installed. It's tail #860. Only the ex-ATA 753s are getting the monitors removed and installed with streaming content. The CO ones will keep the DirecTV systems.
Means 10 more will be gutted soon? (correct me if I'm wrong). If not then why only 1? The DTV product is garbage, but better than darkness.

It's just comes back to what pax hate the most -- inconsistentcy and getting on a plane with no IFE at all. Soon to invade 11 of the 753 fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.