Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr
UAL

earnings released: Thursday, July 24,2014 9:30 am CST/10:30 EST

If you missed the live webcast of the 2nd Q earnings conference call, it is now available for replay for a limited time and will later be archived.
A transcript is now available also.
Click this link for access to replay and transcript of call:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23227909-post151.html

Current 2Q 2014 UAL guidance (4/24/14 investor update):

PRASM +1-3%
ASM "quarter, flat to +1%, full year +.5 to 1.5%"
CASM ex fuel, "quarter +1.25 to 2.25%, full year +1-2%"
Analyst guidance/actual 2Q 2013 results:

6/5/14 estimates:
1.86/share (using the 367M shares from last release $682M profit ex special items) [2q 2013 actual was $521M; $1.35/share ex specials; $469M GAAP]
Revenue 10.33B (3.3% growth) [2q 2013 was $10B]

Actual results:
- $789m GAAP Net income, $2.34/share. 7.6% margin
- $919m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.9% margin
- $906m Operating Income (8.8% margin)
- $1.08B Operating Income excluding specials (10.4% margin)

- PRASM up 3.7%, yield up 3.0%; domestic yield +6.8%
- ASM -0.1%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items down 0.2%
- Operating Revenue: $10.33B (up 3.3%); Passenger Revenue $8.98B( up3.6%)
- $1.5B in operating cash flow

Links to UA Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:

DAL
earnings released: Wednesday July 23 at 10 edt. Call link: https://event.on24.com/eventRegistra...epage=register

Actual results:

- $801m GAAP Net income, $0.94/diluted share. 7.5% margin
- $889m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.4% margin
Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $1.4 billion.
- $1.58B Operating Income (14.9% margin)
- $1.61B Operating Income excluding specials (15.1% margin)

- PRASM up 5.7%, yield up 3.8%; domestic yield +7.4%
- ASM +3.2%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was FLAT
- Operating Revenue: $10.62B (up 9%); Passenger Revenue $9.27B ( up9%)
- Over $2.0B in operating cash flow and $1.5B in free cash, net debt $7.9B

3Q projections
: Operating margin +15 to +17%, CASM +0 to 2%, "unit revenues" (I take to be PRASM - spin) +2-4% "driven by continued corporate and domestic strength, along with benefits from our revenue initiatives."

Links to DL Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:
http://news.delta.com/2014-07-23-Del...Quarter-Profit

AAL - earnings call: July 24, 2014 at 12:30 cdt
link to call: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....estorrelations

Estimates/AAL guidance:

2Q PRASM +5-7% (updated estimate from 6/9/14 traffic release). YTD ASM +2.5%.

Actual results:

- $864m GAAP Net income
- $1.5B Net Income (excluding specials)
- $11.4B Revenue (+10.2%)

- Yeld +6.5% (17.34)
- PRASM up 5.9%, (14.57)
- ASM +3.1%
- CASM +3.9% (13.61)
Print Wikipost

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:41 pm

The transcript is up.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2339...all-transcript

46% of domestic / short haul Latam premium seats were sold to paying customers in 2Q.

That compares to 47% for Delta, so they have caught up there in terms of volume.

NOTE THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE PAID UPGRADES

He references that separately, noting they are up 28% yoy.

They also admit that customers will book away from a 50 seat RJ when put against a mainline on a competitor.

They're also building a rebooking tool that better factors the complexity that 7 hubs introduces. Basically saying the 1Q weather will happen again, so they are doing a deep dive.

50 seaters or less about cut in half by end of next year.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

They're also building a rebooking tool that better factors the complexity that 7 hubs introduces. Basically saying the 1Q weather will happen again, so they are doing a deep dive.
It took them this long to realize they were running a more complex airline than before the merger?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
This is one of the most remarkable conference calls in my recent memory. AS reports record profits and announces 10% increase in capacity, yet the tone of the conference was so grave, you think that it was the Siege of Constantinople (or Vienna, I guess depending on what you think the outcome will be). The fact that ALK stock fell almost 10% today says a lot about what the market thinks of the Battle of Seattle. Although DL will probably take a bigger beating in the short term, they can absorb the losses with their deeper network. AS cannot. SEA is their Constantinople (or Vienna).
And yet, Puny Alaska Airlines is buying back $650MM in stock, on a much smaller network.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The transcript is up.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2339...all-transcript

They also admit that customers will book away from a 50 seat RJ when put against a mainline on a competitor.

50 seaters or less about cut in half by end of next year.
They must have some sort of a deal or two deep in the works to purchase some "Used Mainline Planes", I can't believe that they would announce this plan without something brewing. My 2 cents
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Newer isn't working better for UA in on-time performance, mainline completion factor, or fuel use per million ASMs to a significant measure.
Head scratcher.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
As I heard the call today - and just read the transcript today, I couldn't help but feel they were all downright giddy on the phone......
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
As I heard the call today - and just read the transcript today, I couldn't help but feel they were all downright giddy on the phone......
They shouldn't have been.

As the great Joe B (I think) guote goes, more or less, "They think they're running a great airline, it's just that the customers are too stupid to realize it".
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by EWR764
The lack of WB frames is part of the equation, but there is more to the story. CO had a lot of 757s that were less competitive from a CASM standpoint in the domestic system than the 737-800, 737-900 and 757-300. They also had the capability to fly longer legs to Europe generating better revenue, and in the mid-2000s CO was very aggressively redeploying domestic capacity to international, especially TATL. Most of that expansion was driven by the 757 and it also allowed CO to deploy larger assets like 777s to open China, India and TLV. It was a fruitful strategy for CO, but operations to airports like TXL, OSL and BCN are at the far end of the envelope.
It's still their strategy ten years later. Unfortunately not as fruitful today due to the resurgence of the domestic market and the growth of foreign competitors. UNITED really gutted the domestic network and competitors were ready to scoop up the market.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by channa
Well UA could defer the 757 retirements (again), but that wouldn't stick it to the UA FAs like Jeff wants to, so that may not be an option.
Exactly!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:15 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I read the USA Today story reporting on 2nd Q earnings of several airlines.

It is understandable that UA states that it plans a 1B buyback of stock over the next three years. (If and to what extent, it will do this at varied times when the stock price is discounted.) This is a bone the UA board is throwing to the shareholders to keep them happy.

But Southwest has different approach. It had a record quarter of earnings. As a "thank you", it is giving each employee a $200 bonus. That may not seem like much, but it is very obvious to anyone who flies Southwest that its employees are very cohesive, enthusiastic, motivated workers. It really shows in customer service, which further motivates flyers to keep flying.

Contrast with UA with the reported bickering, poorer customer service, less-motivated employees, jobs outsourced, etc.

UA may have reported 2nd Q earnings, but at what cost? How much more could UA earnings grow with happy and motivated employees dealing in positive ways with customers?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ican/13060163/

Last edited by mkr; Jul 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm Reason: add USA Today link
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mkr
I read the USA Today story reporting on 2nd Q earnings of several airlines.

It is understandable that UA states that it plans a 1B buyback of stock over the next three years. (If and to what extent, it will do this at varied times when the stock price is discounted.) This is a bone the UA board is throwing to the shareholders to keep them happy.

But Southwest has different approach. It had a record quarter of earnings. As a "thank you", it is giving each employee a $200 bonus. That may not seem like much, but it is very obvious to anyone who flies Southwest that its employees are very cohesive, enthusiastic, motivated workers. It really shows in customer service, which further motivates flyers to keep flying.

Contrast with UA with the reported bickering, poorer customer service, less-motivated employees, jobs outsourced, etc.

UA may have reported 2nd Q earnings, but at what cost? How much more could UA earnings grow with happy and motivated employees dealing in positive ways with customers?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ican/13060163/

UA has profit sharing too. I can't find it at the moment, but I'm sure someone has handy the picture of Jeff on a cart in O'Hare with body guards carrying around money bags filled with $100 bills with Jeff's picture on them. I think they also handed out Payday candy bars.

That said, culturally, WN and UA are miles apart. UA may say they want a cohesive culture, but then they pin employee groups against each other and antagonize them in other ways (e.g., anti-union propaganda in break rooms and on logins before a vote, RJ flying between hubs before they got it worked out; forced relocations for the FAs, etc.).

This practice of antagonizing employees even dates back to the CO days -- there was one year where workgroups were working out concessions, and they announced that they will only give profit-sharing to those who had worked out a new agreement. The FA agreement did not happen in time, and they did not give profit sharing to FAs. We can debate whether or not that was fair, but they still antagonized a subset of employees.

So while UA goes through similar motions for profit sharing, their actions don't align with that once-every-so-often give-away.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
UA has paid profit sharing several years straight now. It's based on yearly profits and paid out in 1Q. This year, the checks were sent Feb. 14, totaling $190M -- not a big number (compared to, say, WN's $228M), but UA didn't have too good a year in 2013.

Yes, WN also gave out $200 to each employee this week, based on 2Q results. But they are the only airline that I know of that has done it. Good for WN, but blaming UA for not doing the same is really grasping at straws in light of some good news for a change.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Yes, WN also gave out $200 to each employee this week, based on 2Q results. But they are the only airline that I know of that has done it. Good for WN, but blaming UA for not doing the same is really grasping at straws in light of some good news for a change.
Well, not to split hairs, but while WN is handing out $200 checks, UA has been handing out pink slips to airport workers all over North America to save money. Do you think the new minimum wage contract workers they re-bid every 6 months will care about HVFs?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Yes, WN also gave out $200 to each employee this week, based on 2Q results.
This may just be me, but a bonus like that wouldn't go far. In my old job, my bonus was $500 for two months of working 60-80 hrs a week. The $500 pretax felt like a kick in the balls more than a bonus. It's like, gee thanks, we're worth $375 after tax to you guys (assuming 35% tax rate). Big whoop. I'd rather get nothing and be ignorant to the fact that the company didn't give an F. Major part of the reason I quit.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mkr
Huh?

You've not read about the problems with baggage handlers doing massive sick leave calls - causing cancellations?

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ere-sick.html/

http://www.news10.net/story/news/201...talks/7244545/

Or this:

"Put simply: Southwest now treats passengers like the lowest common denominator. It lectures, nags, and harasses them. It treats them like children. Southwest’s passion for allowing employees to be themselves has sparked an outbreak of unfunny, unhappy, and unhelpful flight attendants and processes that threaten to turn the airline that democratized air travel into a dictatorship."

http://www.austindaily.org/post/2506...with-southwest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.