Search

May 2014 Traffic Numbers are out

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
May 2014 Traffic Numbers are out

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...201500389.html

consolidated traffic (revenue passenger miles) increased 1.2 percent and consolidated capacity (available seat miles) increased 0.2 percent versus May 2013. UAL's May 2014 consolidated load factor increased 0.9 points compared to May 2013.

I'll let someone else interpret the impact for us...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
They're still trailing all their domestic competitors.... DAL was up 5.8% (and grew) AA up 2%...

They took down capacity a bit, CLE de-hubbing was probably a decent chunk of the downdraft, and of course, there were plenty of pre-scheduled trips that were moved to a lower-capacity situation, so I would guess the LF was positively impacted by that...

That, and their completion factor was down 0.6 pts y/y...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
That, and their completion factor was down 0.6 pts y/y...
I didn't see that the first time through hiding at that bottom. I also see the on-time percentage dropped 3.3% to 76.4%
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
.... I also see the on-time percentage dropped 3.3% to 76.4%
that's odd, May was a fairly quiet weather month -- SFO/EWR runaway issues?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What's odd to me is that it isn't worse... EWR performance was horrible this month - they cancelled so many UEX flights from feeder cities it was a joke...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
What's odd to me is that it isn't worse... EWR performance was horrible this month - they cancelled so many UEX flights from feeder cities it was a joke...
I'm guessing most of the EWR cancellations are UX, which UA doesn't report...

Most interesting to me about the release was what it does not contain - no change to the PRASM guidance of 1-3%. AAL reiterated 5-7 today, as did DL (I think they were 6-8) last week. So if the absence of a change in guidance indicates trending towards the original guidance, UAL will be massively underperforming DL/AAL this quarter
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pagotto
Most interesting to me about the release was what it does not contain - no change to the PRASM guidance of
UA no longer provides PRASM guidance in the monthly numbers IIRC.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I didn't see that the first time through hiding at that bottom. I also see the on-time percentage dropped 3.3% to 76.4%
It's about the same this month so far too. It's always Delta in the mid to high 80's, AA in the low 80's and UA in the mid 70's
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
IMO, year over year PRASM numbers will be (artificially) high for all airlines in Q2 but especially Q3. fares for summer travel started high and have only gotten more ridiculous. that is, unless people do like me and just stay home.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
the mainline completion factor is reported, goodness knows they don't want to report the express completion factor. its likely abysmal.

Most interesting to me about the release was what it does not contain - no change to the PRASM guidance of 1-3%. AAL reiterated 5-7 today, as did DL (I think they were 6-8) last week. So if the absence of a change in guidance indicates trending towards the original guidance, UAL will be massively underperforming DL/AAL this quarter
they don't report it anymore. Not very investor__friendly. but whatevs.

DL is reporting 5.8% increase in RPM on a ~3% increase in ASM, and DL @ 6-8% increase in PRASM, on the high end you're talking a 9-12% increase in total revenue. Since most of that is improved yield, DL will drop a lot more of that increase to the bottom line.

United on the other hand, has shrunk YTD in terms of ASMs and RPM, and was guiding 1-3%, which is optimistic. UA's 2Q revenue will be flat to up 1%, with higher costs. That's not going to help their bottom line.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I also see the on-time percentage dropped 3.3% to 76.4%
That is UA + UX, cq? Got to be EWR runway issues.

76% OT plus completions down 0.6% plus YOY RPM increase way behind DL, AS and AA = more bad vibes in the Smisek bunker.

This news on the very day the WSJ slaps him around...

This cannot go on.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by BearX220
This cannot go on.
It's now going to go on for at least another year as they now get to hide behind the new companies coming in to analyze what's going on.

J
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If that's the excuse, they better find something else. I flew into SFO from SEA on Alaska a couple days ago. We did the Pt. Reyes One arrival and they strung us out over Moffett Field. We were still wheels down -20. Granted, it was early afternoon but it seems like other airlines are coping with the SFO runway work just fine.

Same with Virgin America a week earlier. They let us know that we needed to be out on the runway to make our slot. Everybody got aboard smartly and we pushed at -8.

Only doorknob United has problems moving equipment at one of their biggest hubs.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal

Only doorknob United has problems moving equipment at one of their biggest hubs.
Upon arrival at SFO last night at 9:45 p.m., UA couldn't find a gate for us for over half an hour. We taxied around the various gate areas like a driver cruising the mall parking lot looking for an open space. Then when they finally found us a gate, it took ten more minutes for them to find someone to operate the jet bridge.

Unbelievable.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
UA no longer provides PRASM guidance in the monthly numbers IIRC.
Yes, that's correct. But, I would think that if they were trending better than guidance, they would have raised the guidance, especially since by today they should have decent visibility into June as well. After all, last Q didn't they lower guidance around the same time as the March financial update?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.