Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WSJ: United Continental Struggles to Stabilize

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC

Article in tomorrow's WSJ on United's continuing challenges. Not surprisingly, more excuses and promises from United...

Interesting to see how increasingly widely UA's struggles (that we all have been seeing for years) are now being picked up broadly.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/unite...LEFTTopStories
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I believe this link will allow the full article to be displayed:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...68445247,d.aWw
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Their responses are like some old Laurel and Hardy comedy...blame, blame, blame instead of listen, fix, listen, fix.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I love this statement -"United says it has improved passenger experience with lie-flat seats and Wi-Fi, as well as better airport facilities like new clubs and terminals."

Other than the lie-flat seats comment, the remainder of this statement is a flat out lie. Wi-Fi isn't close to being operational across the entire fleet, only a few UC's have been renovated/updated, and other than SFO and IAH where individual terminals have been renovated, the vast number of United facilities are today what they were four years ago - some good, some not so good. And let's not even talk about the dark aircraft and crappy new seats on the Airbus.

I don't know why the media doesn't call them on these lies.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by halls120
I love this statement -"United says it has improved passenger experience with lie-flat seats and Wi-Fi, as well as better airport facilities like new clubs and terminals."

Other than the lie-flat seats comment, the remainder of this statement is a flat out lie. Wi-Fi isn't close to being operational across the entire fleet, only a few UC's have been renovated/updated, and other than SFO and IAH where individual terminals have been renovated, the vast number of United facilities are today what they were four years ago - some good, some not so good. And let's not even talk about the dark aircraft and crappy new seats on the Airbus.

I don't know why the media doesn't call them on these lies.
I'm so not going to be a UA apologist, but...

In the past four years:
  • More planes have WiFi than did before.
  • New Clubs have been opened and some have been remodeled.
  • SAN, BOS, LHR, IAH and SFO have new terminals

Therefore, this isn't a lie. You might like to have more done faster, we all would, but it isn't factually incorrect.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:03 pm

Exactly ... clueless!

United executives blame several factors, including "inadequate training" of employees by the old United, a buildup of flights to the U.S. by Chinese carriers and too much reliance on small regional jets. Last fall, the company's use of faulty information caused the airline to sell too many seats too cheaply, denting its revenue even after it made fixes.
Originally Posted by boss315
Their responses are like some old Laurel and Hardy comedy...blame, blame, blame instead of listen, fix, listen, fix.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
United executives blame several factors, including "inadequate training" of employees by the old United, a buildup of flights to the U.S. by Chinese carriers and too much reliance on small regional jets. Last fall, the company's use of faulty information caused the airline to sell too many seats too cheaply, denting its revenue even after it made fixes.
Excuse. excuse. excuse. Blame. blame. blame.

Perhaps these executives including the CEO need to look in the mirror and see who is causing the "problems" at the "new UA".

United Airlines traces its claim to be the oldest commercial airline in the United States to the Varney Air Lines air mail service of Walter Varney, who also founded Continental Airlines.
UA was formed by Varney Air Lines in 1926.
So I guess "inadequate training" of employees by the old United since 1926 is why this CEO and BOD are in trouble.

Take off the rose colored glasses, take a whiff of the UA coffee, suck on a lime wedge and give your employees a little slack and don't bash them in the media. Work as a team.

God it must suck working with a management team like this.

To the workers at UA - keep your chin up. A few more months of losing money and this "Texas think" arrogant CEO will be gone.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I'm so not going to be a UA apologist, but...

In the past four years:
  • More planes have WiFi than did before.
  • New Clubs have been opened and some have been remodeled.
  • SAN, BOS, LHR, IAH and SFO have new terminals

Therefore, this isn't a lie. You might like to have more done faster, we all would, but it isn't factually incorrect.
These may be facts. But in my opinion, the wifi is totally unreliable. And the club redesign was a waste of money...sure they look more modern, but now they're filled with cheap, uncomfortable, IKEA-like furniture. I would have preferred a rehab, not a redesign. And you can argue they paid for the redesign with changes to food and drinks in the clubs.

My point is are they spending their money on the right things? Customers can tell very quickly when something is done halfway, and it can actually have the opposite effect of what UA intends.

Bottom line, maybe not lies, but I think these statements are meant to divert attention from the real issues.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Inadequate training of employees by the "old United", really? That's a pathetic excuse that I feel has no basis in reality. The union leader has it spot-on, management is making short-sighted and bad decisions which explains their poor performance.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
Excuse. excuse. excuse. Blame. blame. blame.

Perhaps these executives including the CEO need to look in the mirror and see who is causing the "problems" at the "new UA".

So I guess "inadequate training" of employees by the old United since 1926 is why this CEO and BOD are in trouble.

Take off the rose colored glasses, take a whiff of the UA coffee, suck on a lime wedge and give your employees a little slack and don't bash them in the media. Work as a team.

God it must suck working with a management team like this.

To the workers at UA - keep your chin up. A few more months of losing money and this "Texas think" arrogant CEO will be gone.
Please stop your Texas bashing. Jeff S. was born in Washington, DC and educated at Princeton and Harvard. That's where he learned to "think."
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JBord
My point is are they spending their money on the right things? Customers can tell very quickly when something is done halfway, and it can actually have the opposite effect of what UA intends.
Sure, but this is nothing new; the moment UA started its "flyer friendly" campaign, we all knew how much a joke the airline had become. It was a sure sign that they don't care about FFs/HVFs because those are the people who know the truth from personal experience. The message it sends is that UA is content scamming kettles who don't know any better.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Inadequate training of employees by the "old United", really? That's a pathetic excuse that I feel has no basis in reality. The union leader has it spot-on, management is making short-sighted and bad decisions which explains their poor performance.
Not to mention the fact that Smisek has had nearly four years to retrain them!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by boss315
The universal strategy of giant underachievers after all. Go figure.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Yup ^ but they also forgot to mention the weather-you know, the same weather that all the other airlines flew thru
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JetAway
Please stop your Texas bashing. Jeff S. was born in Washington, DC and educated at Princeton and Harvard. That's where he learned to "think."
Jeff is incapable of thinking or even developing an appropriate strategy. He most likely got into Princeton and Harvard because of his family's wealth. Seriously, have you seen his videos? He'd struggle to make a C- in any public speaking class at a world class university. Under his reign of terror, not a single positive thing has occurred at United. The airline is nothing more than a global Spirit these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.