Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WSJ: United Continental Struggles to Stabilize

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ: United Continental Struggles to Stabilize

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I'm a non-UA *G. Previously my *G status led me to book the vast majority of my US travel UA, but going forward I'm going to look at alternatives.
I am also non-UA *G, based near SEA. I have already started booking alternatives to UA when traveling domestically in the USA, with Alaska receiving my money. Ironically, it was UA that introduced me to AS when, on multiple occasions, UA had to place me on AS flights due to my UA flights being seriously delayed or canceled. It was then I realized how much better other domestic airlines are.

I've recently been sent surveys from *A (focusing on an UA flight) and NZ (part of which asked about my connecting UA flight); in both cases I expressed my extreme displeasure with UA.

I can only hope that, given the departure of US Airways from *A and the abyss UA is falling into, the *A network will find an additional US airline to join its network, preferably Alaska. (I can dream, can't I?)

Last edited by SeaProf; Jun 9, 2014 at 9:54 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Bringing in both McKinsey and BCG at the same time? Wonder what that's all about.
Yeah of all the things in the article, that actually stuck out to me the most - and that alone tells me plenty about the dysfunction at UA on the corporate side
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:37 am

Reading the comments below the article, most of them are from ex-CO flyers who are upset.

Not a lot of comments about the frequent flyer program. Most are about the operation.

What they want is a reliable airline. And that hasn't happened.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Bringing in both McKinsey and BCG at the same time? Wonder what that's all about.
Maybe McKinsey will work on optimizing pmCO while BCG works on pmUA.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Proof that Jeff and his gang have absolutely no idea how to fix their self-inflicted problems.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
And neither firm is based in Houston. No buddy-buddy here. Smisek is done.

Originally Posted by SeaProf
I've recently been sent surveys from *A (focusing on a UA flight) and NZ (part of which asked about my connecting UA flight); in both cases I expressed my extreme displeasure with UA.
If the Alliance is digging up dirt on United, this is not good. They may pressure them to improve service, mandate service minimums, or who look for another entrant.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Four years later this marvel (SMI) has successfully angered a lot of customers (from both former airlines) and most employees. Now he is going to spend millions on consultants to tell him what he did wrong, but I doubt his arrogance will allow much self reflection. It is impossible to undo his flawed strategy... things need to basically start over and deal with the incompetence he left behind.

IMHO his major flaws were seen early on in this merger and it was all about how he saw the merger.

1. He failed to integrate the 2 unique brands. He thought that bringing most of pmCO to everyone under the UNITED name would make everyone happy. In reality it made very few people happy.
2. He failed to UNITE the 2 employee bases. This failure is worse than the branding blunder. At the end of the day the front line employee delivers the customer experience. Unhappy employees, reflect their disengagement to their customers.
3. He failed to surround himself with independent thinkers. Another spectacular blunder. Leaders who only surround themselves with "Yes" men are doomed because they prefer to hear a chorus of praise, rather than reasoned thought and analysis.
4. He failed to win over his customers. For all of the reasons above, and his inability to change course alienated many customers. See item #3 above- JS also prefers customers who kiss his a** as well.

Time will only tell, but he may have done too much damage to repair.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jasondc
That WSJ author clearly is just skimming the surface. iN the past year Frontier has reduced its schedule at Denver by over 20%, exiting many markets completely (PHL, SMF, SDF, for example). In every single market, fares have gone up, to UA's and WN's benefit. This author would also be wise to actually sense check whether the fares in all markets are as "low" as he thinks - that's a reality of 10 years ago, not today. Superficially DEN may look like the obvious choice, but I think peopl need to go beyond skin deep.
The author is obviously a lifetime AA/DL devotee who is using his position to publicly bash UA without repercussion of libel or slander since he's "analyzing".

Just like every other wall street analyst - using the most quarter to project out the next 5 years in order to fit their own narrative and pre-arrived conclusion.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I'm so not going to be a UA apologist, but...

In the past four years:
  • More planes have WiFi than did before.
  • New Clubs have been opened and some have been remodeled.
  • SAN, BOS, LHR, IAH and SFO have new terminals

Therefore, this isn't a lie. You might like to have more done faster, we all would, but it isn't factually incorrect.
Hides the reality of the situation.

1) More planes have wifi than before? Yes, its easy to go from a small number to a larger number. The problem is expectations and marketing. United clearly sells taking out IFE on Airbus domestics as a positive since you will have wifi and future streaming video. Reality? Wifi stickers are all over the place, the emails all say plane is ready for wifi, status page says all planes have it but.... it almost never works. Never even turned on for most planes.

2) New clubs and remodels? Yes, but quality of food and beverages is same or worse than before. Maybe this will improve as they cut the number of ppl who have access, but seems like not going to happen soon. United is more interested in minting new credit card holders vs. taking care of their frequent flyers.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:55 am
Suspended

Oh great. Another Monday morning article that doesn't state anything new to start another week of UA bashing with the same regurgitated arguments and frothing at the mouth from employees presenting themselves as customers.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a non-subscription link:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12737...ven=TSMKTWATCH

I think this is somewhat different from the the original WSJ article. It is a piece by Herb Greenberg, who refers to and comments on the original article, as well as his own UA travel experience.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:58 am

Interesting that the title to the article was changed overnight to "United Continental: One Sick Bird."
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by wpr8e
Oh great. Another Monday morning article that doesn't state anything new to start another week of UA bashing with the same regurgitated arguments and frothing at the mouth from employees presenting themselves as customers.
Originally Posted by 787fan
The author is obviously a lifetime AA/DL devotee who is using his position to publicly bash UA without repercussion of libel or slander since he's "analyzing".

It is my guess this is also how Jeff Smisek probably reacts to the negative publicity - blame and discredit.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
"United still flies many smaller regional jets, which guzzle fuel and whose close quarters and slower speeds annoy passengers." - I hate RJs as much as the next guy but is that true about the fuel and speed?
They burn more gas per passenger mile than turboprops or larger jets; this is true for every jet.

The speed difference to a narrowbody is trivial.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mduell
The speed difference to a narrowbody is trivial.
The Q400's are slower, though. While the article mentions regional jets making it technically not applicable, UA has more slow, unreliable turboprops than most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.