Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WSJ: United Continental Struggles to Stabilize

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ: United Continental Struggles to Stabilize

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:18 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by bizinsider

Trouble I have -- is that I hear from 1ks and GS who are fed up.

Granted, the bigger q: Are they happy at DL or American? Domestic airlines, as much as they try, are what they are.

Anyway, that's why I stay loyal.
I would wager they are. I took an EXP challenge last year in July after making 1K for 2014 and have not looked back. I don't miss the spending 4 hours on an RJ (if it runs on time) and I don't miss the wonderful F meals of Rondele and crackers. I don't miss the ratty united club either.

So far AA gets it for HVFs. UA just gives away status and continues to dilute it while at the same time flushing services in a stopped up RJ145 commode.

Submitted while on an AA flight in F with working wifi.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
McKinsey? Great. Watch for another Ted, Shuttle by United or Continental Lite operation. McKinsey was behind all of them (including MetroJet, Delta Express and Song, IIRC)...
Ha well McK has had a long history with UA.

Not sure if there was an additional engagement added, but not much new there. My bet is they are running 'project quality.' Bain was handling integration.

AA decided to go with McKinsey for their integration work. UA and DL used Bain for that. I don't hear fears AA is about to launch a sub-carrier.

And of course it was the CO situation in the 90s that gave Bain its name in the aviation practice.

In other words, consultants are messing around with all the big airlines, and have been for decades.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
So far AA gets it for HVFs. UA just gives away status and continues to dilute it while at the same time flushing services in a stopped up RJ145 commode.
Most people do not realize how many of the GS are actually comped. It's large number. United is basically throwing everyone else under the bus, and trying to take care of the GS who as said who have ZERO loyalty to them in the first place.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The story seems to really miss the mark, except for the bottom line which is worse than the competition.

The faults at United are not just IT and labor integration - it's a complete failure to execute day-in day-out. They do not run on time. They do not update their product and are being surpassed now by rivals. They do not have happy employees in a service business. It is an across-the-board failure and it starts at the top. Not to mention that they are hemmoraging HVF, which is one of the reasons net income is low.

Honestly the reporter really does not seem to have done much homework, other than to state the obvious: "Houston we have a problem"
Bingo !
this is my biggest issue
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Most people do not realize how many of the GS are actually comped. It's large number. United is basically throwing everyone else under the bus, and trying to take care of the GS who as said who have ZERO loyalty to them in the first place.
I'm actually not sure since I don't work for ua... but it does seem that UA is comping a great deal of people GS, and 1K/Plat who don't generally qualify for the status.

Presumably this is to keep the corporate ranks somewhat happy.. but it won't help them, as they cannot provide the experience that status ought to engender.

(at the same time, making it harder for people to qualify the 'real' way)
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
That's a little revisionist history.... Delta's merger with NW was neither smooth nor seamless.

But it was still a lot better (operationally) than this.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Oh great they hired those morons at McKinsey? So much for already going off the deep end, there is more bad stuff to come our way. Between that gasbag Hunter Keay and now McKinsey, the "blame the customer, then grab their cojones and twist" mentality will find soil to grow deep roots at UA
This. Big time.

Originally Posted by CALMSP
well, the McKinsey group is simply looking at more of a cost cutting measure that will drive more of the way United makes purchases for goods/services, not necessarily driven towards what a customer may or may not see. There are still many places in this company that has multiple groups all doing the same thing from the merger. McKinsey is coming in and advising.........why the F do you need multiple people doing the same job type of thing.
You do realize the irony of your last statement given that McKinsey and BCG have both been brought in, right?

And I think it is naive to think that customers won't see the impact of cost cutting measures devised by McKinsey. We certainly will notice. And that is if McK will truly only deal with internal matters, which I don't think they will at all.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
AA decided to go with McKinsey for their integration work....I don't hear fears AA is about to launch a sub-carrier.
While you are right, there is a growing number of us long time EXPs who are highly concerned about recent decisions and actions by AA and there os no doubt EXP and the entire airline is no longer even nearly as good as it was as little as 2 years ago. Doug has joined the race to the bottom. It is clearly visible to anyone who is willing to really look...meal windows, seat comfort, AAdvantage changes to redemption and availability, YQ surcharges, call center issues during IRROPs that make UA look stellar, increasingly terrible EXP desk staff, and the list goes on. There is very little good news and if AA spins it as such, it is usually double speak of the finest kind (like when they devalued AAnytime awards and tooted that the pricing is now lower).

If you are thinking of changing allegiances, it is definitely caveat emptor....

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 9, 2014 at 4:15 pm Reason: Merge
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
And I think it is naive to think that customers won't see the impact of cost cutting measures devised by McKinsey. We certainly will notice. And that is if McK will truly only deal with internal matters, which I don't think they will at all.
You won't see anything at all now for 6-9 months as every policy, decision, change will be frozen until these companies get to have a good look at everything.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
This. Big time.

You do realize the irony of your last statement given that McKinsey and BCG have both been brought in, right?

While you are right, there is a growing number of us long time EXPs who are highly concerned about recent decisions and actions by AA and there os no doubt EXP and the entire airline is no longer even nearly as good as it was as little as 2 years ago. Doug has joined the race to the bottom. It is clearly visible to anyone who is willing to really look...meal windows, seat comfort, AAdvantage changes to redemption and availability, YQ surcharges, call center issues during IRROPs that make UA look stellar, increasingly terrible EXP desk staff, and the list goes on. There is very little good news and if AA spins it as such, it is usually double speak of the finest kind (like when they devalued AAnytime awards and tooted that the pricing is now lower).

I share your concern with creeping cuts at AA, but do believe you're exaggerating the impact (at least so far). I also realize that as an AA loyalist, you're particularly sensitive to negative changes, just as I was at UA. All that said, AA has a very long way to go to get down to UA's level and there's no reason to assume that they will go that far. In fact, it's likely that some of the apparent cutbacks in EXP service levels are simply the result of AA's success in winning over former UA elites.

By the way, the recent jump in mileage requirements for AAnytime awards were certainly painful for many (though not yet as bad as UA's), but I did just find myself booking a bunch of 45k AAnytime awards in Y to Europe for a family trip that I believe would previously have cost 60k miles each. I checked UA as well, where they were going for 65k each, so it's not all bad news.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:52 pm

Indeed, that merger has already seen deterioration on the AA side. And if you take shareholder biases out of the arguments on this board, as a passenger there is a lot to be worried about.

Delta is the 'known' quantity right now, so I split my allegiance between UA and DL.

If Parker and AA take the high road, great, in 2016 I will have a great alternative to Delta, which is much needed. But for 2015 it's UA/DL for me.

Others may differ.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
There is no question AA will devalue under new US management, no different than COdbaUA. Then you will be faced with the choice: Do you fly UA for the better mileage redemption program, or do you fly DL for the better product? AA may have been tops in both but no longer so it won't be the obvious choice anymore.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
You won't see anything at all now for 6-9 months as every policy, decision, change will be frozen until these companies get to have a good look at everything.
These consulting companies are nothing more than snake oil salesmen - nothing but a big scam. I can understand a small or medium size business, privately held, and with management that lacks a broad view of business or their industry asking for outside help from more experienced peers or advisors to introduce fresh ideas, but when a large, publicly traded company with highly paid executives touting extensive academic and professional experience starts bringing in outside consultants to help them run the business, that act alone should be grounds for their dismissal for incompetence.

Does the Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff hire the Department of Labor to come into the Pentagon and analyze their use of paperclips so they can hit mandated budget targets?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:43 pm

when a large, publicly traded company with highly paid executives touting extensive academic and professional experience starts bringing in outside consultants to help them run the business, that act alone should be grounds for their dismissal for incompetence.
Not a fan of consultant recos myself, but the reality is a significant portion of publicly traded companies uses at least one of the larger ones, much like they use the investment banks.

And in the airlines they all do.

So by that logic all management teams should dismissed.

It's a reality, not unique to United.

And yes the joint chief of staff does use consulting firms!

http://www.boozallen.com/consultants...fense-agencies
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
These consulting companies are nothing more than snake oil salesmen - nothing but a big scam. I can understand a small or medium size business, privately held, and with management that lacks a broad view of business or their industry asking for outside help from more experienced peers or advisors to introduce fresh ideas, but when a large, publicly traded company with highly paid executives touting extensive academic and professional experience starts bringing in outside consultants to help them run the business, that act alone should be grounds for their dismissal for incompetence.

Does the Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff hire the Department of Labor to come into the Pentagon and analyze their use of paperclips so they can hit mandated budget targets?
I think you'll notice from my previous posts, I'm in full agreement. But I have to say I got a pretty good laugh reading your example. You had me at the part about a government department worrying about their budget...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
There is no question AA will devalue under new US management, no different than COdbaUA. Then you will be faced with the choice: Do you fly UA for the better mileage redemption program, or do you fly DL for the better product? AA may have been tops in both but no longer so it won't be the obvious choice anymore.
There's still a question of how much. UA has been seriously devaluing the customer experience for years. We shall see what AA actually does, but judging from UA's comments, they're not done yet. I know that as of now, AA offers a better value proposition than UA does. And DL seems to be superior, which on one hand is counter-intuitive to the mileage junkies here, but DL offers a better product (onboard, ontime), better service; and for people shelling out the bucks, they're not going to be hunting for saver award space on an oddball flight anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.