Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr
UAL

earnings released: Thursday, July 24,2014 9:30 am CST/10:30 EST

If you missed the live webcast of the 2nd Q earnings conference call, it is now available for replay for a limited time and will later be archived.
A transcript is now available also.
Click this link for access to replay and transcript of call:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23227909-post151.html

Current 2Q 2014 UAL guidance (4/24/14 investor update):

PRASM +1-3%
ASM "quarter, flat to +1%, full year +.5 to 1.5%"
CASM ex fuel, "quarter +1.25 to 2.25%, full year +1-2%"
Analyst guidance/actual 2Q 2013 results:

6/5/14 estimates:
1.86/share (using the 367M shares from last release $682M profit ex special items) [2q 2013 actual was $521M; $1.35/share ex specials; $469M GAAP]
Revenue 10.33B (3.3% growth) [2q 2013 was $10B]

Actual results:
- $789m GAAP Net income, $2.34/share. 7.6% margin
- $919m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.9% margin
- $906m Operating Income (8.8% margin)
- $1.08B Operating Income excluding specials (10.4% margin)

- PRASM up 3.7%, yield up 3.0%; domestic yield +6.8%
- ASM -0.1%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items down 0.2%
- Operating Revenue: $10.33B (up 3.3%); Passenger Revenue $8.98B( up3.6%)
- $1.5B in operating cash flow

Links to UA Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:

DAL
earnings released: Wednesday July 23 at 10 edt. Call link: https://event.on24.com/eventRegistra...epage=register

Actual results:

- $801m GAAP Net income, $0.94/diluted share. 7.5% margin
- $889m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.4% margin
Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $1.4 billion.
- $1.58B Operating Income (14.9% margin)
- $1.61B Operating Income excluding specials (15.1% margin)

- PRASM up 5.7%, yield up 3.8%; domestic yield +7.4%
- ASM +3.2%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was FLAT
- Operating Revenue: $10.62B (up 9%); Passenger Revenue $9.27B ( up9%)
- Over $2.0B in operating cash flow and $1.5B in free cash, net debt $7.9B

3Q projections
: Operating margin +15 to +17%, CASM +0 to 2%, "unit revenues" (I take to be PRASM - spin) +2-4% "driven by continued corporate and domestic strength, along with benefits from our revenue initiatives."

Links to DL Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:
http://news.delta.com/2014-07-23-Del...Quarter-Profit

AAL - earnings call: July 24, 2014 at 12:30 cdt
link to call: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....estorrelations

Estimates/AAL guidance:

2Q PRASM +5-7% (updated estimate from 6/9/14 traffic release). YTD ASM +2.5%.

Actual results:

- $864m GAAP Net income
- $1.5B Net Income (excluding specials)
- $11.4B Revenue (+10.2%)

- Yeld +6.5% (17.34)
- PRASM up 5.9%, (14.57)
- ASM +3.1%
- CASM +3.9% (13.61)
Print Wikipost

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:47 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Did anyone else pick up on the comment in the conference call, I think it was by John Rainey (source of "over-entitled elites" comment), that the UA strategy of selling more "buy-ups" into the Premium cabins was producing good results?

I wish I had written down his comments.

Will there be a transcript of this conference call produced?

Does anyone know how to obtain a copy?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Transcripts of the quarterly conference calls are generally available on seekingalpha.com within a day or two of the call. To read it, you'll need to register (give them a throw-away email address).
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by EWR764
Is that a wise business decision when resale values for non-wingletted 757s are artificially high (FedEx) and the aircraft would require a substantial reconfiguration ($$$) to get CASM to 737 levels? I think you correctly note that they could arrange a deal if they really wanted to, and the fact of the matter is they don't. Delta and American have significant 757 retirement plans too, and they're replacing them with A321s and 737-900ERs like United. UAL is just ahead of the curve in this respect. Most of those retirements will be in their respective domestic networks.

I love the 757, but the reality is that it is not currently a practical domestic solution in a ~185-seat configuration, and technical limitations prevent the 757-222s from being inexpensively redeployed on other missions. CO saw the writing on the wall some time ago and pulled its 752s into international service, which, while suboptimal from a performance/pax experience standpoint, it also probably made the company more money than strictly domestic service... but not all carriers have/had the route structure to make a 757 transatlantic hub like EWR work.
IIRC, many of DL's 757's have PW 2037 engines just like UA's. Not sure your point stacks up there. And the winglets? com'on. Doesn't seem to bother DL at all.

CO didn't see any writing on the wall. They moved the 757 to TATL because they didn't order enough WB aircraft to compensate on Euro routes from dumpy EWR. The 757 was the only aircraft capable in doing the job and oftentimes was not even suitable for that (look at BCN-EWR during the winter.)

But without going into the same old song, I do think UA might possibly regret retiring those 757s when they could have been dumping E145s instead. The ignorance continues.

Last edited by REPUBLIC757; Jul 24, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkr
Did anyone else pick up on the comment in the conference call, I think it was by John Rainey (source of "over-entitled elites" comment), that the UA strategy of selling more "buy-ups" into the Premium cabins was producing good results?
If there's one thing UA is great at growing quarter over quarter, it's ancillary fees...small ball at it's best
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:05 pm

Any thoughts on why the stock ended up down over 2% after being up 6% earlier in the day?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:14 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Any thoughts on why the stock ended up down over 2% after being up 6% earlier in the day?
I follow UAL, DAL, and AAL, all of them opened high on earnings and demand reports, all fell on fears of Middle East uncertainty making fuel prices less certain in the future (best guess) even though futures remained flat (down a tiny bit) afaik. I wondered the same thing, checked futures prices and didn't see anything of note, but that is the only thing other than negative demand outlooks that lower the entire sector when the market as a whole doesn't change.

I was looking for reasons as well and found nothing. I used the end of day low as an excuse to buy into the industry.

Last edited by fastair; Jul 24, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:21 pm

Thanks, fastair, I was trying to find something tangible too but couldn't.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:32 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
3 airframes (and people) lost in a week as well, I'm hoping it's just skittish investors or a bit of profit taking.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If there's one thing UA is great at growing quarter over quarter, it's ancillary fees...small ball at it's best
Really? Ancilliary fees are the difference for many carriers in profitability. Tell your vaunted AA that it's small ball
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Will be interesting to watch the 'Battle for Seattle' as it plays out.
http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...724_045148.asp
"Alaska Air Group Reports Record Second Quarter 2014 Results
This is one of the most remarkable conference calls in my recent memory. AS reports record profits and announces 10% increase in capacity, yet the tone of the conference was so grave, you think that it was the Siege of Constantinople (or Vienna, I guess depending on what you think the outcome will be). The fact that ALK stock fell almost 10% today says a lot about what the market thinks of the Battle of Seattle. Although DL will probably take a bigger beating in the short term, they can absorb the losses with their deeper network. AS cannot. SEA is their Constantinople (or Vienna).

If I were Smisek, I'd take a page out of Gerald Arpey (who famously flew to Tokyo to lobby JL to stay in oneworld) and make a pitch for AS to join *A when DL codesharing ends next year. It's a long shot, but AS is now saying that they are considering all options, so let's put all the options out there. (But it's also Smisek, whom I don't expect to make long shot decisions like this.) As an observer, I just love game theory.

Originally Posted by worldtrav
IMO, the PRASM growth that the industry has witnessed over the last couple of years might be petering out. AAL, DAL, and UAL all fell ~ 2% today.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Airlines were down on a technical basis as well. Today made a great entry point. $DAL is where I'm putting my money. $UAL will be ok too, but there's no reason to see is $UAL Q2 was a new trend or one trick pony.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xzh445
Really? Ancilliary fees are the difference for many carriers in profitability. Tell your vaunted AA that it's small ball
AA has proven far more capable in growing top line revenue. Ancillary is a bonus to them.

Did you forget Q1 so soon?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Is that a wise business decision when resale values for non-wingletted 757s are artificially high (FedEx) and the aircraft would require a substantial reconfiguration ($$$) to get CASM to 737 levels? I think you correctly note that they could arrange a deal if they really wanted to, and the fact of the matter is they don't. Delta and American have significant 757 retirement plans too, and they're replacing them with A321s and 737-900ERs like United. UAL is just ahead of the curve in this respect. Most of those retirements will be in their respective domestic networks.
I didn't say they ought to do it, I was talking about removing the de-rate from the engines. If they can dump the planes for a good price, then go for it.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
IIRC, many of DL's 757's have PW 2037 engines just like UA's. Not sure your point stacks up there. And the winglets? com'on. Doesn't seem to bother DL at all.
The PW2037 is not a bad engine, it just generates less power than its higher-rated siblings. Delta does not operate their PW2037 birds on long hauls, for example. UA is moving toward only operating 757s on routes which require its performance or configuration. As a purely domestic ship, the 737-900ER has better economics.

It obviously "bothers" Delta insofar as they announced a very dense configuration for their remaining 757 domestic fleet (the ones which are not to be retired). They clearly do not believe the aircraft's costs are sustainable in a 180-seat domestic config.

CO didn't see any writing on the wall. They moved the 757 to TATL because they didn't order enough WB aircraft to compensate on Euro routes from dumpy EWR. The 757 was the only aircraft capable in doing the job and oftentimes was not even suitable for that (look at BCN-EWR during the winter.)

But without going into the same old song, I do think UA might possibly regret retiring those 757s when they could have been dumping E145s instead. The ignorance continues.
The lack of WB frames is part of the equation, but there is more to the story. CO had a lot of 757s that were less competitive from a CASM standpoint in the domestic system than the 737-800, 737-900 and 757-300. They also had the capability to fly longer legs to Europe generating better revenue, and in the mid-2000s CO was very aggressively redeploying domestic capacity to international, especially TATL. Most of that expansion was driven by the 757 and it also allowed CO to deploy larger assets like 777s to open China, India and TLV. It was a fruitful strategy for CO, but operations to airports like TXL, OSL and BCN are at the far end of the envelope.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
The airline will lose money flying a pax at $1 because of the added fuel cost, a 75 kg person fighting gravity for 2 hrs is real energy used by fuel. I do agree that SLUT fare buckets improve the bottom line and are better than flying empty seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.