Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

fool.com: United Continental Is Underestimating the Threat From Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

Article: http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-threat-f.aspx

United vs. Delta
United Continental CEO Jeff Smisek doesn't seem too worried about Delta's growth. (He doesn't seem concerned about American's rapid growth in Asia, either: but that's a more reasonable position.) At an investor conference last week, he stated, "Our friends in Atlanta lack a gateway to Asia... The best gateway is already taken -- that's San Francisco."
However, Delta is likely to continue building up its operation in Seattle in the next several years. By the end of the decade -- either through organic growth or via an acquisition of Alaska Air -- it could grow its Seattle hub to the same size as United's San Francisco hub.

Delta's secret weapon in fighting back against United's San Francisco hub is geography. Due to its positioning in the northwest corner of the continental U.S., Seattle is hundreds of miles closer to East Asia than San Francisco.
From many U.S. cities, flying to Asia via Seattle is 5%-10% (and in some cases even 15%) shorter than flying through San Francisco.

The reduced flying distance will translate directly into a cost advantage for Delta. It will also allow Delta to utilize shorter-range planes, which are cheaper to acquire.
So, should UA be worried? If DL sticks with SEA, UA could be at a big disadvantage in fuel, cost of AC and time.

I have never heard RA state our "friends in Chicago". He will call UA, AA, US, etc by their names.

Full article puts it in full prospective, in fool.com's view.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:08 am

Smisek is arrogant and cocky and refuses to listen to his employees, his customers, and his shareholders. UA is doomed unless the board can replace him and his whole management team ASAP.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Short stock much?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:25 am
Suspended

I would love to have a one on one with Richard Anderson and especially Doug Parker about just how they personally feel about Jeff. It would definitely be very interesting. I would love to hear Parker's view due to the infamous "ugly girl" comment.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Smisek is the best thing that has happened to Delta in a long time.

How much of Delta's growth in business travel is due to the mistakes of Smisek and his team? Bet he does not see it, however.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by united4
I would love to have a one on one with Richard Anderson and especially Doug Parker about just how they personally feel about Jeff. It would definitely be very interesting. I would love to hear Parker's view due to the infamous "ugly girl" comment.
The world could've been a better place had UA married the "ugly girl".
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Short stock much?
Stock games aside, the article makes a valid point - geography makes Seattle a viable Asia gateway, and given UAs retreat there, why couldn't DL make it a success? Is Smisek so arrogant as to think only UA knows how to fly to Asia?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
Smisek is arrogant and cocky and refuses to listen to his employees, his customers, and his shareholders. UA is doomed unless the board can replace him and his whole management team ASAP.
Hear, hear.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^and^
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Originally Posted by halls120
Stock games aside, the article makes a valid point - geography makes Seattle a viable Asia gateway, and given UAs retreat there, why couldn't DL make it a success? Is Smisek so arrogant as to think only UA knows how to fly to Asia?
And DL has done just fine setting up shop all the way across the Pacific at NRT. Unlike UA, they are still flying to BKK (and a bunch of other Asian cities) from NRT. Smisek will probably put the blame on UA's NRT gates having worse feng shui than DL's.

Last edited by moler; Jun 13, 2014 at 4:43 am
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
To further illustrate the author's point about SEA being closer to Asia than SFO, I've mapped out the distance between both to several asia hubs here.

SFO PVG 6150 mi
PVG SEA 5722 mi

SFO NRT 5124 mi
NRT SEA 4769 mi

SFO HKG 6927 mi
HKG SEA 6500 mi

SFO TPE 6469 mi
TPE SEA 6074 mi

SFO BKK 7933 mi
BKK SEA 7459 mi

SFO KUL 8480 mi
KUL SEA 8074 mi

SFO PEK 5913 mi
PEK SEA 5407 mi
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moler
And DL has done just fine setting up shop all the way across the Pacific at NRT. Unlike UA, they are still flying to BKK (and a bunch of other Asian cities) from NRT. Smisek will probably put the blame on UA's NRT gates having worse feng shui than DL's.
Actually, PMNW established the NRT hub. DL tended to squander its value after the merger.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Personally, I'd like to see some real numbers to back up the author's theory. Perhaps in the example of SLC, the overall mileage traveled is less, but I'm guessing (and I'll admit it's a guess) that SFO is closer to most places in the US than SEA. Therefore, DL's advantage across the Pacific is negated by the longer distance across the US. And the US flying is done by less-efficient narrowbodies.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Personally, I'd like to see some real numbers to back up the author's theory. Perhaps in the example of SLC, the overall mileage traveled is less, but I'm guessing (and I'll admit it's a guess) that SFO is closer to most places in the US than SEA. Therefore, DL's advantage across the Pacific is negated by the longer distance across the US. And the US flying is done by less-efficient narrowbodies.
How about this?

A sampling of US cities shows that some are closer to SFO, some closer to SEA, but the differences are negligible. Certainly not enough to make up the distance advantage that SEA has to Asia.

SFO ATL 2139 mi
ATL SEA 2182 mi

SFO DTW 2079 mi
DTW SEA 1927 mi

SFO OKC 1384 mi
OKC SEA 1519 mi

SFO DCA 2442 mi
DCA SEA 2329 mi

SFO CLE 2161 mi
CLE SEA 2021 mi

SFO CLT 2296 mi
CLT SEA 2279 mi

SFO ORD 1846 mi
ORD SEA 1721 mi

SFO DFW 1464 mi
DFW SEA 1660 mi
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
There's no Asia threat from DL to underestimate on UA's part. For all of Jeff's faults, the near-term and long-term Asia strategy is one of the few things United has gotten spot-on since the merger.

1. SFO commands strong O&D flows to many Asian destinations in a way Seattle will not anytime soon, necessarily forcing Delta to be more reliant on connecting traffic at lower yields, with stronger competition, and a SEA feeder partner that, by law, can never be more than a "frenemy" unless Delta pursues a merger.

2. Longer term, while SFO remains the primary Pacific gateway, United will also continue developing the TPAC potential of Chicago and Newark with 787s and A350s that improve operating economics.

With the best hubs for West Coast-Asia, Midwest-Asia, and East Coast-Asia flying, and a fleet mix that will soon enable hub access to any worthwhile TPAC destination on a nonstop basis, what exactly does United have to fear?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
SFO is a much larger local market to Asia than Seattle, so while SEA may be positioned better than SFO to take connecting traffic to Asia, SFO isn't nearly as flow-dependent. Further, many of the major markets DL serves on-metal via SEA timed to connect to Asia already have comprehensive TPAC service and a nonstop option to at least some of the DL cities served on the other side. On the other hand, pushing traffic on to AS is a suboptimal strategy from a revenue allocation perspective and building up DL's own network at SEA organically won't nearly be as easy as ALW makes it seem in his blog post. Building a hub is a costly, capital-intensive exercise that generally takes time to deliver returns. This won't be a plug-and-play option for DL from a profitability standpoint.

Finally, an acquisition of AS would be a massively overpriced transaction for the benefit it would deliver to the DL network. I don't see that happening either.

If geography was the most important factor in determining the location of a transpacific hub, we'd see way more pax service ex-ANC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.