Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr
UAL

earnings released: Thursday, July 24,2014 9:30 am CST/10:30 EST

If you missed the live webcast of the 2nd Q earnings conference call, it is now available for replay for a limited time and will later be archived.
A transcript is now available also.
Click this link for access to replay and transcript of call:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23227909-post151.html

Current 2Q 2014 UAL guidance (4/24/14 investor update):

PRASM +1-3%
ASM "quarter, flat to +1%, full year +.5 to 1.5%"
CASM ex fuel, "quarter +1.25 to 2.25%, full year +1-2%"
Analyst guidance/actual 2Q 2013 results:

6/5/14 estimates:
1.86/share (using the 367M shares from last release $682M profit ex special items) [2q 2013 actual was $521M; $1.35/share ex specials; $469M GAAP]
Revenue 10.33B (3.3% growth) [2q 2013 was $10B]

Actual results:
- $789m GAAP Net income, $2.34/share. 7.6% margin
- $919m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.9% margin
- $906m Operating Income (8.8% margin)
- $1.08B Operating Income excluding specials (10.4% margin)

- PRASM up 3.7%, yield up 3.0%; domestic yield +6.8%
- ASM -0.1%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items down 0.2%
- Operating Revenue: $10.33B (up 3.3%); Passenger Revenue $8.98B( up3.6%)
- $1.5B in operating cash flow

Links to UA Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:

DAL
earnings released: Wednesday July 23 at 10 edt. Call link: https://event.on24.com/eventRegistra...epage=register

Actual results:

- $801m GAAP Net income, $0.94/diluted share. 7.5% margin
- $889m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.4% margin
Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $1.4 billion.
- $1.58B Operating Income (14.9% margin)
- $1.61B Operating Income excluding specials (15.1% margin)

- PRASM up 5.7%, yield up 3.8%; domestic yield +7.4%
- ASM +3.2%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was FLAT
- Operating Revenue: $10.62B (up 9%); Passenger Revenue $9.27B ( up9%)
- Over $2.0B in operating cash flow and $1.5B in free cash, net debt $7.9B

3Q projections
: Operating margin +15 to +17%, CASM +0 to 2%, "unit revenues" (I take to be PRASM - spin) +2-4% "driven by continued corporate and domestic strength, along with benefits from our revenue initiatives."

Links to DL Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:
http://news.delta.com/2014-07-23-Del...Quarter-Profit

AAL - earnings call: July 24, 2014 at 12:30 cdt
link to call: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....estorrelations

Estimates/AAL guidance:

2Q PRASM +5-7% (updated estimate from 6/9/14 traffic release). YTD ASM +2.5%.

Actual results:

- $864m GAAP Net income
- $1.5B Net Income (excluding specials)
- $11.4B Revenue (+10.2%)

- Yeld +6.5% (17.34)
- PRASM up 5.9%, (14.57)
- ASM +3.1%
- CASM +3.9% (13.61)
Print Wikipost

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by united4
It makes absolutely no sense that they're retiring almost all of those 757s, when DL can keep many of similar vintage in service indefinitely. I definitely don't buy the $2 million annual savings BS either. Many of those 757s were owned, so while they have higher operating costs, there's no payments and shiny new 737s need to have a lot of utilization to make up for the payments. And if age is a concern, DL has many 757s that were built in 1984-1985 range that are still in service and are older than the oldest UA example by 4-5 years.

The only thing that interests me is the thought of adding more mainline aircraft from the used market. This strategy has worked quite well for DL, so maybe the CO management team is finally starting to grow a brain.

While this was a great quarter, it's still just a small stay of execution for $mi$ek. He needs to go, and so does the HOU Crew and the mess they've created.
DL loves their planes REALLY REALLY old - like 5 years older in average age (13 vs. 18).

I think UA retire planes roughly around the 25yo mark. DL waits till 30yo, sometimes more.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by sriegert
I suppose these results make management think they're doing something right. ugh.
Of course! The lights are green, baby! Full-speed ahead on Project Quality! ^^

Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
While it's not a typical CO fleet strategy, they have done it before (e.g., the ATA 753s).
Flew on one Tue ORD-LAX that ended up being 7+ hours BIS due to a MX delay...truly an awful, crap plane
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by boss315
nowhere was there ANY mention or consideration of the customer and their experience...very telling about the attitude! It became even clearer where their customers stand............in the toilet.
Hate to break it to you, but United does not care at all if you're unhappy or not. As others have said, it's probably not right. But if United is making money and filling seats, why should they care? Even if people voice their unhappiness and stop flying them, as long as there is a full plane, UA stockholders do NOT care about experience.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UAL250
Hate to break it to you, but United does not care at all if you're unhappy or not. As others have said, it's probably not right. But if United is making money and filling seats, why should they care? Even if people voice their unhappiness and stop flying them, as long as there is a full plane, UA stockholders do NOT care about experience.
United made money this quarter, but their results are below the competitions, and their market cap is half of DL, despite DL being a slightly smaller airline.

Stockholders should care.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Until UA runs 100% loads (not possible of course), fares like yours still help to cover the costs.
A $1 fare on a 1% load would help cover the cost. What do you mean?

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Again - if UA doesn't want to offer those fares, they don't have to! So you snagging them doesn't make you a "bad customer".
Bad I think in a less than 10 CPM PQD customer for instance.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:35 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by CanadaOhMy

$1.00>$0.00
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
$1.00>$0.00
Sure any money is better than no money. And that is true whether the plane is full, empty or somewhere in between. Right? Not until it is 100% full is irreverent I think. Or is that not true?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Planes are never "truly full" systemwide. So even lower CPM revenue at the margins is still marginal revenue added.

Don't buy into the $misek myth that you can just fire all below-CPM customers and only fly the wheat, not chaff. That's nonsensical.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:00 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Sure any money is better than no money. And that is true whether the plane is full, empty or somewhere in between. Right? Not until it is 100% full is irreverent I think. Or is that not true?
Without trying to go too far off the main topic, as system LF increases, so too does the risk of displacing a higher yielding customer who books later in the booking curve with lower yielding customers. This is what UA said was happening at the end of last year.

The hypothetical $1.00 fare, as long as it exceeds the incremental carrying costs (it wouldn't) is a positive when demand is low, often it is negative when demand is high as displacement costs increase as loads increase and high yield folk are rejected due to capacity constraints.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Bolded portion: Incorrect. Nearly every UA airplane is encumbered - serves as collateral for debt. They most certainly require monthly payments.
Encumbered doesn't mean they owe payments on the plane, it means if they default on the debt, the debtholders can take the plane.

Uprating the engines is an expensive software modification and UA likely would not see a return on that investment unless it committed to a major, costly reconfiguration to get capacity up over 200, like DL.
Its not that expensive, and at this point in their lifecycle they could arrange a deal if they really wanted to. They have more than enough to make the sort of transcon-stage length trips they need to.

I highly doubt UA is looking to add more capacity into tertiary European cities.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:54 pm

Without trying to go too far off the main topic, as system LF increases, so too does the risk of displacing a higher yielding customer who books later in the booking curve with lower yielding customers. This is what UA said was happening at the end of last year.
The risk is only realized if the plane sales out. No one is displaced as long as there is a fare to be sold. If the plane sales out any fare less then the fare which could have been sold will be displacing a higher yielding customer. Even if a $1 fare displaces a higher yielding customer that amount will "still help cover the costs".

The hypothetical $1.00 fare, as long as it exceeds the incremental carrying costs (it wouldn't) is a positive when demand is low, often it is negative when demand is high as displacement costs increase as loads increase and high yield folk are rejected due to capacity constraints.
The $1 hypothetical fare is presented by RM because it predicts less than optimal capacity so if RM isn't broken the later case doesn't apply. And I think you are talking about making money rather then simply covering costs.

Re UA: if you are turning away high value customers because of LF increases then RM is broken or you've cut back capacity too much or canceled too many flights.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 787fan
DL loves their planes REALLY REALLY old - like 5 years older in average age (13 vs. 18).

I think UA retire planes roughly around the 25yo mark. DL waits till 30yo, sometimes more.
The DC-9s were stone age, no doubt, but planespottrs.net doesn't show a single 30-year old aircraft in the DL fleet, and 100 739s are coming to replace the oldest 757s.

Newer isn't working better for UA in on-time performance, mainline completion factor, or fuel use per million ASMs to a significant measure.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I wonder if these good numbers are due to a short time cost-cutting boost.
Could be. Short term gain at the expense of pissing off customers?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by entropy
Its not that expensive, and at this point in their lifecycle they could arrange a deal if they really wanted to. They have more than enough to make the sort of transcon-stage length trips they need to.
Is that a wise business decision when resale values for non-wingletted 757s are artificially high (FedEx) and the aircraft would require a substantial reconfiguration ($$$) to get CASM to 737 levels? I think you correctly note that they could arrange a deal if they really wanted to, and the fact of the matter is they don't. Delta and American have significant 757 retirement plans too, and they're replacing them with A321s and 737-900ERs like United. UAL is just ahead of the curve in this respect. Most of those retirements will be in their respective domestic networks.

I love the 757, but the reality is that it is not currently a practical domestic solution in a ~185-seat configuration, and technical limitations prevent the 757-222s from being inexpensively redeployed on other missions. CO saw the writing on the wall some time ago and pulled its 752s into international service, which, while suboptimal from a performance/pax experience standpoint, it also probably made the company more money than strictly domestic service... but not all carriers have/had the route structure to make a 757 transatlantic hub like EWR work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.