Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
We want to make sure you're aware that Newark Airport's AirTrain service will be shut down from May 1 through July 15 for much-needed repairs.

During this closure, complimentary shuttle buses supplied by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will serve as an alternate mode of transportation between the airport and lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), as well as the P4 garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Bus service will also be available between the airport and Newark Penn Station for customers taking rail service to and from Manhattan and other areas.

Please keep this in mind when planning your travel, and allow extra time to get to and from the airport.
For passengers on flights arriving at Terminal C (gates 70 and higher): The bus station is located between terminals B and C, and is accessible via the mid-level check-in floor. If you have no checked baggage, do not go to the baggage level. After exiting security, simply follow the orange signs.

[Someone please confirm if hotel shuttles are still at P4 during the construction.]

Related threads on events impacting EWR either now or in the near future:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581516-guide-walking-ewr.html

Runway construction/ closure at EWR - 4L/22R closure, April 4?- June 1, some reductions til June15, and closed again Sept 20-30, 2014

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel
        Print Wikipost

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
        Originally Posted by goldelite8
        It is truly inexcusable that they are charging for the shuttle service between Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station. If you don't mind taking the public bus with a couple stops, the #62 bus is a cheaper option.
        Does anybody else remenber the original AirLink bus - more like a shuttle van that PANYNJ ran between EWR and downtown Newark and Penn Station Newark in the late 1970s and1980s? Sounds like they're just dusting off that pricing model, and figuring anybody who's price conscious already knows about the #62.
        Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
        I think my favorite AirTrain experience was a morning after a decent snow/ice storm. The AirTrain kept getting stuck. We got into a pattern of movement where we would move 5 feet forward, stop slide 3 feet backward, stop moving for 60 seconds, and then repeat. It took 1 hour to go from the rail station to Terminal C.

Thank god the plane was also broken, otherwise, I would have never made my flight…and this was in pre-elite days, so who knows what would have happened
        Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
        Originally Posted by goldelite8
        If you don't mind taking the public bus with a couple stops, the #62 bus is a cheaper option.
        Is it really just ' a couple of stops ' ?? Looking at the NJ Transit website, the #62 from Newark Penn towards Elizabeth takes a fairly long route before getting to EWR, and the time listed is 45 minutes. Anyone have a more realistic time frame for this journey ?
        Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
        Originally Posted by mauld
        Is it really just ' a couple of stops ' ?? Looking at the NJ Transit website, the #62 from Newark Penn towards Elizabeth takes a fairly long route before getting to EWR, and the time listed is 45 minutes. Anyone have a more realistic time frame for this journey ?
        According to Google Maps, it's 12 stops Newark Penn to EWR Terminal A, 16 minutes in duration. Add a few more minutes for Terminals B and C. I rode it off-peak very early in the morning, and seem to recall it took longer for the bus to arrive and accept passengers than the actual duration of the trip.
        Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
        Originally Posted by ianmanka
        According to Google Maps, it's 12 stops Newark Penn to EWR Terminal A, 16 minutes in duration. Add a few more minutes for Terminals B and C. I rode it off-peak very early in the morning, and seem to recall it took longer for the bus to arrive and accept passengers than the actual duration of the trip.
        It's less than 10 stops and the only busy stops are Broad & Market and Broad & Lincoln Park. Last time I took Bus62 in the afternoon, it took around 20min to get from Newark Penn to Terminal C.
        Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
        Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
        The special replacement service bus isn't going to make the jurney in much less time.
        Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
        I have a ZFV trip this coming weekend. What do we think the odds are of the AirTrain running smoothly for it?
        Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
        Originally Posted by akhan7
        Any thoughts on how long transit time would take from Newark Penn to EWR? Let's hope the frequency of the shuttle is there.
        Safe bet is 60 mins.

Originally Posted by EWR764
        The absolute worst, slowest, most unreliable people-mover in operation at any airport in the world
        +1 ^

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2014 at 6:13 pm Reason: Merge
        Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
        Originally Posted by acader
        Safe bet is 60 mins.

+1 ^
        Yes, I'd account for ~60 minutes on GO28 or NJT28 Buses (i've taken both), and those super small cars on the AirTrain are pretty bad indeed - neat when it's 2am and you get your own 'private' car, but not much fun when it's rush hour and you are just trying to get to the rental car facility!

-jeremy
        Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:43 am
        Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
        Originally Posted by ianmanka
        Right, which is why I was so shocked. At first glance, I thought, "hm, that could be inconvenient if you haven't checked in and don't have a boarding pass for your flight yet" (recalling my own experience being stuck in no-man's land in the SkyPier HKG terminal, since UA employees hadn't shown up yet, and I needed a boarding pass, since it opened directly to the HKG terminal).

But then on second reading... yikes. What a mess. I have a EWR<->JFK international connections on award tickets next month and I'm dreading it more and more as time goes on. I was hoping to connect via rail, but it looks like I'm going to have to use the two-bus EWR->Port Authority Bus Terminal->JFK transfer system.

Edited to add:

I've taken the #62, and it's not too bad. I definitely recommend that instead of the highway robbery of the AirTrain shuttle bus fee. Just be sure to bring exact change ($1.50).
        Just took DL round trip LAX-JFK-LAX and public transit/cab to Hoboken, NJ over the holiday weekend.

Outbound to JFK we arrived on-time on a Delta 763. Used the wi-fi to work remotely and watched a few (free) TV shows on the AVOD.

Got in at 8pm I was in a rush to go on a date in Hoboken, so I knew I wasn't going to take LIRR to PATH. To get out of T4 is like 20-25 minutes walking -- almost as much of a hassle as walking about of some of the deep areas of EWR Terminal C. Cab line was short but lack of cabs made me wait 20-25 mins. Got into the cab, cab driver took a round about way to getting to the 9th street PATH station, but nonetheless got me there. Once on the PATH it was 8-10 minutes to HOB. Cab ride: $60.

Got into JFK at 8pm I arrived into Hoboken at 9:30pm. Not terrible considering this was all on foot.

On the way back it was PATH to 33rd and LIRR (not an express train, it was slowish) to Jamaica. Left HOB at 1:30, got to Terminal 4 at 3:15. I could have have timed it better but it was whatever.

Flight on the way back was solid. Another 763, 2 seats to myself, watched the movie Nebraska (which was awesome,) ate a Delta cheeseburger which was pretty great. Got into LAX 50 minutes early.

Overall, both options UA to EWR, or DL to JFK are equally a pain in the ... in terms of convenience, but DL's flights are actually on-time and on better aircraft. I hate the EWR style delays that JFK doesn't seem to have.
        Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:53 pm
        Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
        I have been stuck and it became freezing super quickly. I put on clothes from my suitcase, thankfully was on my way home!

why couldn't they work September right after peak summer travel ? Or start earlier seems like bad timing
        Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:24 pm

Can anyone comment on taking bus #62 between Elizabeth and EWR?
        Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
        http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

What about these guys? Grand Central/Bryan Park/Port Authority to EWR.
        Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:13 pm

the reviews for coachusa seem pretty bad
        Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
        I just got off the AirTrain monorail to Terminal C. Along the trip I closely followed an access road which essentially runs adjacent to the monorail tracks then exits to Rte 1&9 right where there is an exit to EWR terminals.

Seems like it would be a piece of cake and total no brainier for the PA to run a steady stream off shuttle buses to maintain a somewhat seamless connection between NJ Transit. Would surely be more time but no where near as much taking a bus from downtown Newark. So easy, but bureaucrats can't figure these things out I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.