Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
We want to make sure you're aware that Newark Airport's AirTrain service will be shut down from May 1 through July 15 for much-needed repairs.

During this closure, complimentary shuttle buses supplied by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will serve as an alternate mode of transportation between the airport and lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), as well as the P4 garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Bus service will also be available between the airport and Newark Penn Station for customers taking rail service to and from Manhattan and other areas.

Please keep this in mind when planning your travel, and allow extra time to get to and from the airport.
For passengers on flights arriving at Terminal C (gates 70 and higher): The bus station is located between terminals B and C, and is accessible via the mid-level check-in floor. If you have no checked baggage, do not go to the baggage level. After exiting security, simply follow the orange signs.

[Someone please confirm if hotel shuttles are still at P4 during the construction.]

Related threads on events impacting EWR either now or in the near future:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581516-guide-walking-ewr.html

Runway construction/ closure at EWR - 4L/22R closure, April 4?- June 1, some reductions til June15, and closed again Sept 20-30, 2014

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel
        Print Wikipost

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 4:23 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
        I am actually on Amtrak right now going through Newark. They are announcing the shuttle bus service for EWR so, no matter what, you should be okay.
        Old May 24, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
        Originally Posted by edcho
        FYI they are using Rutgers busses as shuttles (atleast between the terminals). Had a flashback to college.
        Hmm. $16 for the transfer might be worth it if you got handed a Fat Cat as you boarded the bus...
        Old May 25, 2014, 6:55 pm

Thanks for all your help.....(smile)
        Old May 26, 2014, 1:10 pm

Update on the return trip from EWR. Flight landed (early!) at about 2.30 into terminal A. Got outside around 2.45 and on to the waiting bus at the bus station near the terminal. It was almost already filled up so it left pretty quick. Made it to Newark Penn around 3.00p. Now waiting for the 3.13p train into NYP. No issues or hassles.

I have to admit, I'm really not missing the AirTran given I should at NYP within an hour of wheels down which I don't I can ever say I've done with the AirTran.
        Old May 26, 2014, 1:16 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
        Quick Q - anyone done the walk from B to C or vv? If so, how long was it, and any issues?

I'm sure there will be some bus, but I also wouldn't mind a stroll.
        Old May 26, 2014, 1:21 pm
        Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
        Originally Posted by UA-NYC
        Quick Q - anyone done the walk from B to C or vv? If so, how long was it, and any issues?.....
        Open air but most if it has a canvas cover. Once on it, 5 minutes or so, if able walker. total time depends on starting and ending points in the terminals.
        Old May 26, 2014, 1:26 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
        Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
        Open air but most if it has a canvas cover. Once on it, 5 minutes or so, if able walker. total time depends on starting and ending points in the terminals.
        Thanks much - I'm a fast walker Need to make a Lufty stop before heading over to C.
        Old May 26, 2014, 3:42 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
        Easy walk...I'd recommend it over waiting for any sort of bus. Almost like a Poor Man's FRA FCT walk

Added bonus - got this nice pic of the AirTrain at (serious) rest.

Old May 29, 2014, 7:45 am

Update on my return a few days ago (late arrival ~ 11:30p). Decided to try the bus system out and it was terrible. Waited for an hour for the bus. People weren't too happy about the whole situation.
        Old May 29, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
        I used the buses for an outbound flight a couple of weeks ago. I had a rental car so i needed to take the bus from P3 to terminal C. The buses were packed and made stops everywhere on the way to C, so it took me a good 25 minutes to get from the Hertz location to the front of terminal C. Wound up having to rush through in order to get to the gate just as boarding had begun.

On the return leg, it was much later at night, so the buses were empty. Also, the bus went from "C" straight through to P2/P3, so it only took about 5 mins.
        Old May 29, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
        Originally Posted by shadowsjc
        I used the buses for an outbound flight a couple of weeks ago. I had a rental car so i needed to take the bus from P3 to terminal C. The buses were packed and made stops everywhere on the way to C, so it took me a good 25 minutes to get from the Hertz location to the front of terminal C. Wound up having to rush through in order to get to the gate just as boarding had begun.

On the return leg, it was much later at night, so the buses were empty. Also, the bus went from "C" straight through to P2/P3, so it only took about 5 mins.
        I will say it again just in case...if the buses are full and you can walk, take the walk to Term C from rental car facility. It's 10 minutes for me and I walk right by the Marriott. Obviously if it rains, you have no options.
        Old May 29, 2014, 3:15 pm
        Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
        Newark bus transfers

Just an FYI ,I just had a miserable experience traveling getting car rental return to the C terminal at EWR, long lines ,10 mins wait for a bus then a number of laps and stops before arriving at T C..Many irritated people in the long line behind me. 25 mins journey.Give your self plenty time if you use this as it is a bus service operated who don't do a great job of running an a airport
        Old May 31, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
        Amtrak connection via NWK to EWR

Got a chance this week to experience the bus transfers at Newark Penn Station. On this trip, I booked my own Amtrak tickets originally to EWR from New Haven. These were booked directly with Amtrak not through United (ZVE). Amtrak had sent me a service alert via email saying that my ticket was changed to a 2-segment trip (i.e. train to NWK then bus to EWR).

I printed my tickets and picked up train at New Haven. Arrived at NWK on Sunday afternoon 5/25, disembarked train, and proceeded out to Raymond Plaza West bus boarding location. Red coat asked for my train ticket and I showed him the Amtrak ticket printout which he had no idea what he was looking at. He said that this was not my ticket (apparently expecting a NJT ticket) and I said that it was a ticket and just kept walking onto the bus (idiot encounter #1). Luggage was stowed underneath of a coach style bus in separate bins depending on your departure terminal (A, B, C). Bus trip to EWR drops off curbside at B-C-A in that order. Total trip time about 30 mins curb to curb.

Return trip on 5/31, arrived at EWR on red-eye flight in Terminal C. Proceeded to Level 2 door 1 and followed signs toward bus parking area. Encountered red coat along the way who asked where I was going to which I replied Newark Penn Station to connect with an Amtrak train. She then attempted to redirect me to go back and cross over to the center median and take the city bus #62 (idiot encounter #2). I said "no" pointing to the sign which was clearly marked that the Yellow route 5 & 6 buses went to Newark Penn Station. I just ignored her and pushed past to continue to bus boarding area - no tickets were checked - got on bus. Bus stopped at Terminal A, then proceeded to Newark Penn Station. There was some wait time on the bus but no traffic that time of day (Sat early AM) so total trip time was again about 30 mins.

Bottom line, if you booked on Amtrak to EWR as your destination or origin then you are entitled to use the bus connection because it was included in your fare. The redcoats don't have a clue on this, don't know what an Amtrak ticket looks like, and will try to tell you that you cannot ride the bus because you did not pay which is, of course, not true. Bottom line is just run them over and get on the bus anyway. I can see where travel times on the bus could vary wildly given traffic conditions so definitely would be a good move to make sure you have plenty of buffer time.
        Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:19 am

I will need to get from the Times Square area to EWR for a 10am flight on a Tuesday on Porter. With two small children, I assume that a car service is my fastest option.

Can anyone take a guess as to what time I should leave from Manhattan for this trip, considering the morning rush hour?
        Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
        Originally Posted by sstackho
        I will need to get from the Times Square area to EWR for a 10am flight on a Tuesday on Porter. With two small children, I assume that a car service is my fastest option.

Can anyone take a guess as to what time I should leave from Manhattan for this trip, considering the morning rush hour?
        As odd as it sounds, you may want to consider a rental car. I know AVIS at 42nd and 11th sometimes runs discount one-way rentals from that location to EWR as a means of repositioning inventory. (Although that doesn't entirely help you, since you'll still need to get from the AVIS lot near P3 to Terminal B, but it may be cheaper than a taxi and it's additional pax fees, especially around rush hour.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.