Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
We want to make sure you're aware that Newark Airport's AirTrain service will be shut down from May 1 through July 15 for much-needed repairs.

During this closure, complimentary shuttle buses supplied by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will serve as an alternate mode of transportation between the airport and lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), as well as the P4 garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Bus service will also be available between the airport and Newark Penn Station for customers taking rail service to and from Manhattan and other areas.

Please keep this in mind when planning your travel, and allow extra time to get to and from the airport.
For passengers on flights arriving at Terminal C (gates 70 and higher): The bus station is located between terminals B and C, and is accessible via the mid-level check-in floor. If you have no checked baggage, do not go to the baggage level. After exiting security, simply follow the orange signs.

[Someone please confirm if hotel shuttles are still at P4 during the construction.]

Related threads on events impacting EWR either now or in the near future:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581516-guide-walking-ewr.html

Runway construction/ closure at EWR - 4L/22R closure, April 4?- June 1, some reductions til June15, and closed again Sept 20-30, 2014

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel
        Print Wikipost

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Old May 1, 2014, 3:21 pm
        Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
        Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2228 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by CMK10
        Originally Posted by pewpew
        I have a ZFV kind-of MR with a poor cpm. Should I switch it to PHL? It departs ZFV at 5:30AM, but the PHL run would depart at 6AM. I guess I'd prefer ZFV since it's within walking distance, but if my ticket doesn't include the shuttle buss fee to get from NYP-EWR, then I'd rather change. Does anyone know if an Amtrak ticket to EWR includes NYP->EWR transportation?
        You're going to have to change it anyway as trains are not stopping at ZFV until the Airtrain opens back up.
        I don't think Amtrak would halt service to Philadelphia 30th Street (ZFV) on the NEC because the EWR rail station is shut down.
        Old May 1, 2014, 3:37 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
        Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2228 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I don't think Amtrak would halt service to Philadelphia 30th Street (ZFV) on the NEC because the EWR rail station is shut down.
        I think he was trying to say "trains won't stop at the EWR rail station". I have the identical query as well.
        Old May 1, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
        You can call and kill the ZFV leg or re-route to PHL, per reports above. It's idiotic, if true, that they aren't doing this proactively.
        Old May 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
        Originally Posted by mgcsinc
        You can call and kill the ZFV leg or re-route to PHL, per reports above. It's idiotic, if true, that they aren't doing this proactively.
        I chose to reroute to PHL (got me in earlier). And they absolutely are not doing this proactively - I was scheduled ZFV-EWR-SMF on May 6th.
        Old May 1, 2014, 7:16 pm

Took the bus today. Was a complete [mess]. The people in the "red coats" at the rental car facility had no information and were not giving any. The bus I was on went from the rental car facility to terminal B and then went to terminal C, where I got off.

The bus was not boarded by the order in which PAX were dropped off so you can guess how much fun that was when we stopped at a terminal.

Please be careful. I'm surprised that no one tripped or fell when they were getting off of the bus while lugging their suitcases and carry-ons.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 3, 2014 at 8:02 am Reason: potty mouth - http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
        Old May 1, 2014, 9:04 pm
        In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I'm sorry you're absolutely right, I just wasn't thinking
        Old May 1, 2014, 9:16 pm
        Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
        I have a ZFV kind-of MR with a poor cpm. Should I switch it to PHL? It departs ZFV at 5:30AM, but the PHL run would depart at 6AM. I guess I'd prefer ZFV since it's within walking distance, but if my ticket doesn't include the shuttle buss fee to get from NYP-EWR, then I'd rather change. Does anyone know if an Amtrak ticket to EWR includes NYP->EWR transportation?
        If anyone's curious, I changed to an ex-PHL at 7AM and get 4h in DFW. Not sure what to do there other than work in the Centurion lounge, but whatever. I had no troubles changing my reservation (and this was with a non-Premier agent)

Originally Posted by CMK10
        I'm sorry you're absolutely right, I just wasn't thinking
        No worries; I was teasing
        Old May 2, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
        Not so bad. Left my office downtown this afternoon at 2:45 and got to terminal C exactly an hour later at 3:45 (including a 15 minute walk up to the WTC Path station). Got outside Newark Penn and there was a shuttle waiting but after I was told I had to go back in and buy a transfer ticket, I just decided to hop in a taxi which took about 15 minutes to ride over to EWR C ($16 flat fare). All in cost me $18.50 with the Path fare and I arrived about 15 minutes earlier than I normally do door to door when doing the NJT/AirTrain combo.
        Old May 2, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
        Not so bad. Left my office downtown this afternoon at 2:45 and got to terminal C exactly an hour later at 3:45 (including a 15 minute walk up to the WTC Path station). Got outside Newark Penn and there was a shuttle waiting but after I was told I had to go back in and buy a transfer ticket, I just decided to hop in a taxi which took about 15 minutes to ride over to EWR C ($16 flat fare). All in cost me $18.50 with the Path fare and I arrived about 15 minutes earlier than I normally do door to door when doing the NJT/AirTrain combo.
        This is actually one my favorite ways to get to EWR. There are usually taxis outside Newark Penn at all times.

If you work / live downtown this is so quick. Path at WTC and taxi connection at Newark Penn. Exactly 1 hour as you described door to door, even during rush hour.

This would be even better if that damn path train went closer to the airport
        Old May 3, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
        Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
        Originally Posted by meFIRST
        This is actually one my favorite ways to get to EWR. There are usually taxis outside Newark Penn at all times.

If you work / live downtown this is so quick. Path at WTC and taxi connection at Newark Penn. Exactly 1 hour as you described door to door, even during rush hour.

This would be even better if that damn path train went closer to the airport
        I was planning on taking this option today, but the WTC PATH station is closed on weekends during 2014. From PATH website:

PATH service between New York and New Jersey will continue throughout the scheduled outage. Additional service will be added to the Journal Square-33rd (HOB) line in both directions to accommodate additional traffic.

The Newark-WTC line only will operate between Newark and Journal Square in both directions. Passengers wishing to go to Grove Street from points east should transfer to the Journal Square-33rd (HOB) at Journal Square.
        Passengers traveling to Lower Manhattan should use the Journal Square-33rd (HOB) and connect to NYC Transit subways or buses (a separate fare is required). Recommended transfer points include:

1 subway train from Christopher Street (exit PATH at Christopher Street)
        A/C/E subway trains at West 4th Street (exit PATH at 9th Street)
        2/3 subway trains from 14th Street (exit PATH at 14th Street)
        There's some other options listed on the website, including transferring to a ferry to get to Lower Manhattan.
        Old May 4, 2014, 5:17 am

Now that the shutdown is in effect, it may be helpful to add relevant information to the wiki for the benefit of those who are not terribly familiar with EWR. I arrived at terminal C yesterday and updated the wiki accordingly.
        Old May 11, 2014, 5:55 pm

Anyone actually take the shuttle yet have any experience? I have to admit, I never thought about taking a cab for Newark Penn. Seems like it might be worth it if the shuttle situation is terrible.

I'm really hoping the AirTrain becomes reliable (purposefully left out the word more) after all this work.
        Old May 11, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by dietz
        I'm really hoping the AirTrain becomes reliable (purposefully left out the word more) after all this work.
        This is the NJNYPA you are talking about.
        Old May 11, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
        Arriving at terminal C last week, getting to the main rental car area (Hertz/Avis/Nat'l) was a moderate mess. Big crowd awaiting the bus at C which arrived half full already. A random group of people got on (no organized queue by the attendants) and the rest of wait for the next bus. We then drove over to terminal A where you can walk to the main rental car stop and picked up a huge crowd of folks. And then as indicated above, we get to the stop and two thirds want off but the remaining third is going to the further rental car area.

Mercifully Avis was running a van to the terminals directly from the car drop off area for its customers so I didn't have to experience the bus on the return.

Here's hoping I don't have to go back to or through EWR until the runway is fixed and the monorail is running.
        Old May 12, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
        Originally Posted by dietz
        Anyone actually take the shuttle yet have any experience? I have to admit, I never thought about taking a cab for Newark Penn. Seems like it might be worth it if the shuttle situation is terrible.

I've got a flight EWR-CUN tomorrow at 8am, and will try out the NJT/Shuttle (giving myself extra time) with a return to EWR in a couple of days at 5:30pm-- so I'll report back how travel is during rush hours. Or if a taxi is a better alternative.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.