Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
We want to make sure you're aware that Newark Airport's AirTrain service will be shut down from May 1 through July 15 for much-needed repairs.

During this closure, complimentary shuttle buses supplied by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will serve as an alternate mode of transportation between the airport and lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), as well as the P4 garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Bus service will also be available between the airport and Newark Penn Station for customers taking rail service to and from Manhattan and other areas.

Please keep this in mind when planning your travel, and allow extra time to get to and from the airport.
For passengers on flights arriving at Terminal C (gates 70 and higher): The bus station is located between terminals B and C, and is accessible via the mid-level check-in floor. If you have no checked baggage, do not go to the baggage level. After exiting security, simply follow the orange signs.

[Someone please confirm if hotel shuttles are still at P4 during the construction.]

Related threads on events impacting EWR either now or in the near future:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581516-guide-walking-ewr.html

Runway construction/ closure at EWR - 4L/22R closure, April 4?- June 1, some reductions til June15, and closed again Sept 20-30, 2014

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel
        Print Wikipost

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
        Originally Posted by frequent traveler
        Thank you all for your prompt and helpful suggestions about PHL. Unfortunately, I am flying on a Wednesday, so hotel rates are not so low midweek. I glean from all the responses that none of you think a car service like Dial 7 will get to EWR in time if it picks me up at the theater around 9:05pm for my 10:26pm flight. Some taxi estimators state that it is 25-30 minutes from Times Square to EWR if there is little or no traffic (which are hopefully the conditions at 9pm on a Wednesday). Does this seem possible? Likely?

Much appreciated,

frequent traveler
        Highly unlikely. I have found traffic from NYC to EWR to be putrid at all times of the day. I'd budget 40mins to 1 hour to get to EWR from theatre district. Your play ends at 9PM and your flight leaves at 10:26. Boarding ends 15 mins before, so 10: 11 pm. So 1:11 to leave the theatre, find transportation, get to security, go through security, and get to your gate. Even if it only took 30 mins, I'd say that was poor planning. Your only saving grace, (and highly likely to happen) is that most flights lately leaving EWR are late. (I'm at 95% at least one hour late, over the last 6 months) leaving EWR.

Also, as far as breezing though security, as you might expect to, at odd hours. I find at EWR they modify their staffing to ensure you will wait at least 20 mins to get through security no matter the time of day. Edit: not saying the reason they do this, is to ensure waiting, only that the result is -- longer than expected lines for odd times.

Good luck though.
        Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:39 pm
        In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
        Originally Posted by frequent traveler
        To all the kind NY'ers who responded to my posts:

Thank you all for your informative advice. To update you all, I talked with a Dial 7 dispatcher who recommended pickup at theater on 47th and 8th. Set up pickup for 9:15pm after calling theater box office staff who said show gets out at 9:10pm. Show started just after 7:30pm (earlier than expected), and thus got out just before 9pm. Made it outside just after 9pm, and worried I'd have a 15 minute wait, but my Dial 7 driver was front and center waiting for me! Awesome service. Made it to Lincoln Tunnel by 9:05pm, and at EWR at 9:26pm, exactly one hour before scheduled last flight to ORD. As one poster pointed out, there is no Pre-check or Premier line at that hour, so it did take me 15 minutes to get through the single lane of TSA screening.

As you may have heard, weather in EWR last night was abysmal (combined with bizarre flight protocols captain disclosed flying over PA). Inbound flight was delayed, and the 8pm to ORD had been delayed 2.5 hours, and the 9pm cancelled. So madhouse at EWR United gates and customer service. Our pilot was savvy, and said we should board and push off gate, otherwise, we'd be foreclosed from doing by EWR rules once the groundstop was lifted. Thus, we only had about an hour wait on the tarmac, compared to multiple hours at the gate and/or tarmac others experienced. All in all, arrived about two hours late into ORD at 1:05am.

Bryan Cranston was worth all the trouble. He was charismatic and mesmerizing in a performance for the ages in All the Way. So glad I caught it before it closes on Sunday.

Thank you again for all your helpful info, FT'ers,

frequent traveler
        Very glad to hear everything worked out! Thanks for taking the time to come back and update us ^
        Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:23 am

Woooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
        --
        Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 12:18 PM
        Subject: Newark Airport Info-Alert

AirTrain service at Newark Liberty Int'l Airport will resume service beginning Thursday, July 3 at 4:30 am. Thank you for your patience during the recent service suspension.
        Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
        Originally Posted by edcho
        --

AirTrain service at Newark Liberty Int'l Airport will resume service beginning Thursday, July 3 at 4:30 am. Thank you for your patience during the recent service suspension.
        Wow, in time for my trip to ZFV this weekend! Do we think it's safe to assume that the rail station will reopen and that Amtrak will immediately begin stopping there again?
        Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
        Originally Posted by mgcsinc
        Wow, in time for my trip to ZFV this weekend! Do we think it's safe to assume that the rail station will reopen and that Amtrak will immediately begin stopping there again?
        One way to check would be to go to www.amtrak.com and see what is posted, and what can be booked through their engine.
        Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
        One way to check would be to go to www.amtrak.com and see what is posted, and what can be booked through their engine.
        Amtrak posted this:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satell...=1251625915492

Newark Liberty International Airport Station to Open July 3 - Newark Airport Station AirTrain Service will Resume

Effective July 3, 2014

Rail service to and from the Newark Liberty International Airport train station resumes Thursday, July 3, and the AirTrain Newark monorail connecting with the airport will be back in service.
        Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
        You have much more faith in Amtrak IT than I do. And I'm a daily Amtrak commuter.

Awesome, thanks!
        Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:10 pm
        In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
        --

Great news! I'm flying out of EWR July 27th so this announcement makes me very happy.

Annoyingly, NJTransit.com is not publishing schedules to EWR yet, even for a date well after the 3rd.
        Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:45 am
        A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CMK10
        Annoyingly, NJTransit.com is not publishing schedules to EWR yet, even for a date well after the 3rd.
        They are now.

I rode it this morning. Nothing particularly new/special/different that I could tell, though much better than the bus option I dealt with yesterday.

Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
        Oh hallelujah
        Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
        Originally Posted by sbm12
        They are now.

I rode it this morning. Nothing particularly new/special/different that I could tell, though much better than the bus option I dealt with yesterday.
        Given that the goal was to prevent the airtrain from falling through holes in the track, I guess seeing nothing new is a good thing!
        Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:19 am

I look forward to this thread becoming the They Fixed the AirTrain and It's Still Broken Megathread.
        Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:30 am

You would think they would try to upgrade this thing (or atleast make it faster) especially when they are trying to bring the PATH to the station too.
        Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
        Some taxi estimators state that it is 25-30 minutes from Times Square to EWR
        This is really, really bad advice IMHE, even late at night.

Glad the OP pulled it off, but this is not good planning
        Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:59 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
        Thank goodness! I have a tight connecting tomorrow morning thanks to United's continued inability to operate their India flights on time ... C --> A will be much better w/the air train.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.