Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
We want to make sure you're aware that Newark Airport's AirTrain service will be shut down from May 1 through July 15 for much-needed repairs.

During this closure, complimentary shuttle buses supplied by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will serve as an alternate mode of transportation between the airport and lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), as well as the P4 garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Bus service will also be available between the airport and Newark Penn Station for customers taking rail service to and from Manhattan and other areas.

Please keep this in mind when planning your travel, and allow extra time to get to and from the airport.
For passengers on flights arriving at Terminal C (gates 70 and higher): The bus station is located between terminals B and C, and is accessible via the mid-level check-in floor. If you have no checked baggage, do not go to the baggage level. After exiting security, simply follow the orange signs.

[Someone please confirm if hotel shuttles are still at P4 during the construction.]

Related threads on events impacting EWR either now or in the near future:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581516-guide-walking-ewr.html

Runway construction/ closure at EWR - 4L/22R closure, April 4?- June 1, some reductions til June15, and closed again Sept 20-30, 2014

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel
        Print Wikipost

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:16 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
        Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
        I'm hoping that one can walk between terminals airside, in the event of a connection across terminals? Can someone verify? Thanks!
        Originally Posted by mgcsinc
        No, but there's a shuttle bus. Though you best have a board pass, lest the bus dragons get you with their inexplicable bus exclusivity enforcement.
        Originally Posted by Weez_1000
        Are you sure about that? i can't think of whats stopping you from doing it. Im almost certain you can walk from A to B, there is just a small parking lot separating them. Not sure I ever looked between B and C.
        The question was about airside, not outside.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
        Originally Posted by goodeats21
        lol in that case its an absolutely not.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:56 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
        Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
        Originally Posted by goodeats21
        lol in that case its an absolutely not.
        UA has a shuttle bus frm gate C71 to the two piers that it operates from at A and the pier that LH operates from at B. It is airside.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:17 pm
        In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
        Originally Posted by joshwex90
        Doesn't this belong in the NYC thread? I get that EWR is a major UA hub, but lack of AirTrain combined with runway issues and Pulaski skyway seems to concern NYC people more than just UA flyers. Besides, people flying UA simply connecting in UA aren't really suffering from lack of AirTrain
        There's a thread over there too, but as EWR764 said, it's barely getting noticed.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
        Are you sure about that? i can't think of whats stopping you from doing it. Im almost certain you can walk from A to B, there is just a small parking lot separating them. Not sure I ever looked between B and C.
        This is correct. You can walk between Terminals A, B and C.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
        Originally Posted by goldelite8
        See above. Not what was being discussed.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
        Originally Posted by goldelite8
        Ah. Should have read ahead.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:30 pm

I know from experience that they have the ability to run shuttle buses to and from the RailLink station. There are stairs and an elevator.

And not only is this on top of the runway closures, it's also on top of the non-functional PreCheck at EWR. The last four times in a row that I was there, PreCheck at checkpoint C-2 was closed, and they were funneling large numbers of regular passengers into the PreCheck lanes at C-1 and C-3. The PreCheck lanes now seem to be slower than Premier Access lanes.

And next week I'll be arriving at EWR after 11pm, which means that the monorail will be running single track for its daily 6-hour maintenance.

Maybe sanity will prevail, and they'll run shuttle buses from North Elizabeth if the RailLink station is really going to be out of service.

Ugh.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
        Originally Posted by fjfv19
        The Air Train has recently been running excessively slowly (guess I know why now). Sometimes, it doesn't run at all. The Air Train service is a complete joke and given NJ politics, I have no doubt that the execution of alternative transportation to the airport will be a consummate disaster show.
        I flew out of EWR at the end of March and I agree that it seemed to be extra slow that day and it took longer to get from the EWR rail station to the terminal than it did to get from NYP to EWR rail station.

Before that I've apparently been pretty lucky in never really having an issue with speed or reliability.
        Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Continental
        Once, I got stuck in the Airtrain for an hour in the summertime with no A/C.
        People were close to passing out as we sat on the track in the sun.
        Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:24 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alggag
        I flew out of EWR at the end of March and I agree that it seemed to be extra slow that day and it took longer to get from the EWR rail station to the terminal than it did to get from NYP to EWR rail station.

Before that I've apparently been pretty lucky in never really having an issue with speed or reliability.
        I also took it in that time period and I think our speed may have surged to 1 MPH for a brief period. Painfully slow.
        Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
        Any idea if cabs are readily available at Newark-Penn and what the cost would be from there to EWR?

Edited: I see another poster has offered that it costs ~$12. Any idea if there is a cab line outside the train station like one would find at the airport?
        Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
        Any idea if cabs are readily available at Newark-Penn and what the cost would be from there to EWR?

Edited: I see another poster has offered that it costs ~$12. Any idea if there is a cab line outside the train station like one would find at the airport?
        I've never taken a cab from Newark Penn to EWR however when arriving at Penn from EWR there seemed to be a pretty good number of cabs waiting, at least during normal business hours.
        Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:26 am
        Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
        Originally Posted by Xyzzy
        UA has a shuttle bus frm gate C71 to the two piers that it operates from at A and the pier that LH operates from at B. It is airside.
        Worth noting that after gate-swapping with B6, UA is only out of the A-2 pier and there is no longer an airside shuttle to A-1 (where WN, B6 and AC operate). The shuttle to/from B-3 for connections to LH/SK/LX operates upon request, as it is not a regular stop.
        Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
        The shuttle to/from B-3 for connections to LH/SK/LX operates upon request, as it is not a regular stop.
        And you best have a boarding pass. "You'll have to go outside security, get on the AirTrain, and go to the LH counter. Sorry, there's nothing I can do, but I can't let you on the bus."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.