Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
We want to make sure you're aware that Newark Airport's AirTrain service will be shut down from May 1 through July 15 for much-needed repairs.

During this closure, complimentary shuttle buses supplied by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will serve as an alternate mode of transportation between the airport and lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), as well as the P4 garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Bus service will also be available between the airport and Newark Penn Station for customers taking rail service to and from Manhattan and other areas.

Please keep this in mind when planning your travel, and allow extra time to get to and from the airport.
For passengers on flights arriving at Terminal C (gates 70 and higher): The bus station is located between terminals B and C, and is accessible via the mid-level check-in floor. If you have no checked baggage, do not go to the baggage level. After exiting security, simply follow the orange signs.

[Someone please confirm if hotel shuttles are still at P4 during the construction.]

Related threads on events impacting EWR either now or in the near future:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581516-guide-walking-ewr.html

Runway construction/ closure at EWR - 4L/22R closure, April 4?- June 1, some reductions til June15, and closed again Sept 20-30, 2014

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel
        Print Wikipost

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:58 am
        Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
        Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
        Yeah EWR is going to be a mess through the summer with the runway closures and now THIS! NJ is just the worst when it wants to be!
        Technically, the runway closure ends June 1, 4L/22R will be at full capacity June 15, and summer doesn't officially start until June 21...

Anybody want me to take bets next week on when I fly LAX-JFK on DL if it will take less time to get back to visit Hoboken, NJ than a similar flight time on UA going from LAX-EWR?
        JFK AirTrain to Jamaica, LIRR to NYP, walk to PATH at 33rd, PATH to HOB versus AirTrain/NJT to Newark Penn and PATH to Hoboken (xfer at JSQ) ... yeah, I'll take that bet.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:59 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
        Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
        Yeah EWR is going to be a mess through the summer with the runway closures and now THIS! NJ is just the worst when it wants to be!
        Don't forget also that the Pulaski Skyway will be clsed in the northbound direction for two years starting next week...
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:59 am
        Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
        Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
        Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not on your life my Hindu friend ^
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP

Anybody want me to take bets next week on when I fly LAX-JFK on DL if it will take less time to get back to visit Hoboken, NJ than a similar flight time on UA going from LAX-EWR?
        Makes me question myself why bother flying out of EWR (or UA). I usually do WTC to Newark to EWR (Path>>NJ Transit>>Air Train), 45-60min door-to-door. First WTC-Newark Path is suspended for weekends, fine, detouring through NY Penn adds ~10min. And now Airtrain is down....

I've done Bus 62 before which is bearable, but not ideal and not very frequent.

Think I need to look at my JFK options (or AA/DL options) instead....
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:10 am
        Suspended

Originally Posted by EWR764
        Technically, the runway closure ends June 1, 4L/22R will be at full capacity June 15, and summer doesn't officially start until June 21...

JFK AirTrain to Jamaica, LIRR to NYP, walk to PATH at 33rd, PATH to HOB versus AirTrain/NJT to Newark Penn and PATH to Hoboken (xfer at JSQ) ... yeah, I'll take that bet.
        Excuses excuses. Welcome to good ol' crappy NJ -- my home state where nothing ever gets done.

LIRR to Penn and then PATH from NJ is actually acceptable but I'm taking a cab from JFK to 33rd street so that will be a lot quicker
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:10 am
        Suspended

Nope, this time was Obamas fault. We have to fault him for something other than blaming Bush.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:11 am
        In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
        Glad I read this, I'm going to be heading to New York in early June and I won't even consider using EWR now.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:14 am
        Suspended

Originally Posted by hirohito888
        Makes me question myself why bother flying out of EWR (or UA). I usually do WTC to Newark to EWR (Path>>NJ Transit>>Air Train), 45-60min door-to-door. First WTC-Newark Path is suspended for weekends, fine, detouring through NY Penn adds ~10min. And now Airtrain is down....

I've done Bus 62 before which is bearable, but not ideal and not very frequent.

Think I need to look at my JFK options (or AA/DL options) instead....
        Well if you fly out of JFK on DL or AA you won't have to deal with IFE-less 739 and A320. Consider it a blessing in disguise

For me and flying back to where my parents live in Hoboken, we rely on the Pulaski skyway in getting from EWR to HOB. So JFK at this point makes more sense with Pulaski closed, 1 EWR Runway shut down, and now the monorail as well. Add in all the delay nonsense into EWR and it becomes hell very quickly.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:14 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
        Originally Posted by CMK10
        Glad I read this, I'm going to be heading to New York in early June and I won't even consider using EWR now.
        The lympia Trails bus is $16 and leaves every 15 minutes. It should avoid all of the landside chaos listed here.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:15 am
        Original Poster

Excuses excuses. Welcome to good ol' crappy NJ -- my home state where nothing ever gets done.
        And New York is a model of effective infrastructure management and planning? The MTA and Port Authority are both woefully behind in critical maintenance projects on a variety of infrastructure. Anyway, in all of these instances, something is actually getting done, but requires considerable pain in order to achieve even an acceptable level of reliability.

LIRR to Penn and then PATH from NJ is actually acceptable but I'm taking a cab from JFK to 33rd street so that will be a lot quicker
        Not always, and certainly much more expensive.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:19 am
        Suspended

Originally Posted by EWR764
        And New York is a model of effective infrastructure management and planning?

Not always, and certainly much more expensive.
        It's $40. NY/NJ are run by the same useless Port Authority last time I checked.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:32 am
        Original Poster

It's $40. NY/NJ are run by the same useless Port Authority last time I checked.
        You are correct re: the PANYNJ, but JFK-Manhattan flat fare is $52 + toll ($7.50) and tip ($8-10) if you take a cab.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
        Originally Posted by Xyzzy
        The lympia Trails bus is $16 and leaves every 15 minutes. It should avoid all of the landside chaos listed here.
        At certain times, this is certainly the most effective way to/from the airport. During rush hour or after major certain holidays, how do they say it down here...fuggedaboutit!
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
        Originally Posted by Xyzzy
        Don't forget also that the Pulaski Skyway will be clsed in the northbound direction for two years starting next week...
        I know this worries me the most. I usually drive to EWR from lower Manhattan via the Pulaski Sky Bridge. I guess I just drive to the GS Parkway (lol) instead of Route 1/9? My first experience will be on Monday when I arrive into Newark from BKK - at 5pm - suh-weet!
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:13 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambrau
        I know this worries me the most. I usually drive to EWR from lower Manhattan via the Pulaski Sky Bridge. I guess I just drive to the GS Parkway (lol) instead of Route 1/9? My first experience will be on Monday when I arrive into Newark from BKK - at 5pm - suh-weet!
        The southbound Pulaski Skyway will remain pen during construction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.