Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
We want to make sure you're aware that Newark Airport's AirTrain service will be shut down from May 1 through July 15 for much-needed repairs.

During this closure, complimentary shuttle buses supplied by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will serve as an alternate mode of transportation between the airport and lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), as well as the P4 garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Bus service will also be available between the airport and Newark Penn Station for customers taking rail service to and from Manhattan and other areas.

Please keep this in mind when planning your travel, and allow extra time to get to and from the airport.
For passengers on flights arriving at Terminal C (gates 70 and higher): The bus station is located between terminals B and C, and is accessible via the mid-level check-in floor. If you have no checked baggage, do not go to the baggage level. After exiting security, simply follow the orange signs.

[Someone please confirm if hotel shuttles are still at P4 during the construction.]

Related threads on events impacting EWR either now or in the near future:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581516-guide-walking-ewr.html

Runway construction/ closure at EWR - 4L/22R closure, April 4?- June 1, some reductions til June15, and closed again Sept 20-30, 2014

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel
        Print Wikipost

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:15 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
        Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
        Did anyone at Faux Snooze actually prfread that article???!!!
        ...there are signs of erosion along the system's 6.3-mile running surface...
        My guess is no.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:21 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
        Originally Posted by fjfv19
        They are not mutually exclusive statements. In my case, the Air Train wasn't working, so they had a special bus service run from EWR NJ Transit Station to EWR. On a normal day, there would be no scheduled bus service between the two (as dino is referencing) so the only option is the Air Train.

What others have suggested is to do as they have done in my situation, and run the bus from EWR NJ Transit Station and EWR which seems to makes perfect sense.
        I should have included the posting that prompted the first statement. The question was "why don't they just run a shuttle from the EWR NJ Transit Station?" and the answer was "because there's no access to do so." But others say the they routinely run buses, so there IS access. That's all.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:23 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
        Originally Posted by transportprof
        It is possible to walk between the terminals at the arrivals (lower) level. That's what I'd do this summer, unless I had a boatload of luggage.
        Whenever I'm connecting, I likely have some luggage or am traveling with someone younger. Just makes it more annoying

Now if it were only possible to walk to the rental car pick up area.....
        Originally Posted by walkerci
        Shuttle busses maybe?
        I never rent a car in EWR so no clue about this, but don't they have shuttle buses, even now, that transport between rental facilities and the terminals?

Last edited by joshwex90; Apr 9, 2014 at 2:25 pm
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
        Originally Posted by milepig
        I should have included the posting that prompted the first statement. The question was "why don't they just run a shuttle from the EWR NJ Transit Station?" and the answer was "because there's no access to do so." But others say the they routinely run buses, so there IS access. That's all.
        Ah, I got it! Xyzzy's comment really closes the issue. They could use the access road, they have used it, however they don't currently use it.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:24 am

+1. This was the context, and the post re no access was in error.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:25 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
        i'm LOLing my butt off at this thread. so, so glad that all my flights this summer are in and out of PHL or JFK despite the convenience of EWR to my final dest.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by fjfv19
        Ah, I got it! Xyzzy's comment really closes the issue. They could use the access road, they have used it, however they don't currently use it.
        It's not that they don't currently use it. It's that they've announced that they won't use it for this disruption. The question is: Why?
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:26 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
        The access rad can be seen here
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
        Where's that US Helicopter service to Manhattan when you need it?
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
        Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
        I hear those things are awfully loud.
        What are you talking about?? It glides as softly as a cloud.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:42 am

Should be interesting what happens with the ex ZFV-EWR-XYZ flights.

I've had my fair share of frustrations on the Airtrain, nothing major, but the seamlessness of having the airtrain station right at C2 and then getting off steps from the platform is quite nice.

It beats getting a receipt just to hail a cab at EWR, taking the 15 minute and something like $12 fare to Newark Penn then lugging your bags up the steps to the platform. I have done that several times because of the better availability on Amtrak to NWK than to EWR.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:43 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nova08
        It beats getting a receipt just to hail a cab at EWR, taking the 15 minute and something like $12 fare to Newark Penn then lugging your bags up the steps to the platform. I have done that several times because of the better availability on Amtrak to NWK than to EWR.
        There is a bus, you knw -- #62.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:44 am
        Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
        Yeah EWR is going to be a mess through the summer with the runway closures and now THIS! NJ is just the worst when it wants to be!

Anybody want me to take bets next week on when I fly LAX-JFK on DL if it will take less time to get back to visit Hoboken, NJ than a similar flight time on UA going from LAX-EWR?
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:47 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
        I had a transportation professor who taught that 'Monorails are the transportation mode of the future, and they always will be" around the time that the Newark Airtrain was being planned.
        Perhaps he was angling for a big fat consulting contract from the Seattle Monorail crowd, which actually got to running TV ads promising monorail lines all over the city before the project collapsed of its own ridiculousness.

My understanding is that the architecture of EWR's current terminals was designed so that only a monorail could serve the buildings. The idea was to prevent PATH from easily serving the airport, which the Port Authority was determined to avoid in the 1980s. Times have changed and it's going to cost a lot to undo past idiocy.
        I dunno. Terminals A and B are legacy-footprint structures planned in the 1960s and opened in '73, and Terminal C was planned by PeoplExpress in the early 1980s (though PE was gone by the time it finally opened, with Continental the successor tenant). The isolated-necklace-of-terminals design, like LAX and JFK and MCI, is a major burden to overcome, but I don't think it was part of a conspiracy to stop PATH. I think it's just the way things turned out.

These two statements seem to be in conflict, no access other than NJ Transit or Air Train - vs. buses run from the EWR stop when the Air Train isn't functioning. Which is correct?
        There is definitely an easy bus-access alternative to the EWR NJT station for when the AirTrain is broken. As unreliable as AirTrain is you couldn't not have alternative ground transport.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
        Originally Posted by JAaronT
        What are you talking about?? It glides as softly as a cloud.
        Is there a chance the track could bend?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.