Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
We want to make sure you're aware that Newark Airport's AirTrain service will be shut down from May 1 through July 15 for much-needed repairs.

During this closure, complimentary shuttle buses supplied by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will serve as an alternate mode of transportation between the airport and lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), as well as the P4 garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Bus service will also be available between the airport and Newark Penn Station for customers taking rail service to and from Manhattan and other areas.

Please keep this in mind when planning your travel, and allow extra time to get to and from the airport.
For passengers on flights arriving at Terminal C (gates 70 and higher): The bus station is located between terminals B and C, and is accessible via the mid-level check-in floor. If you have no checked baggage, do not go to the baggage level. After exiting security, simply follow the orange signs.

[Someone please confirm if hotel shuttles are still at P4 during the construction.]

Related threads on events impacting EWR either now or in the near future:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581516-guide-walking-ewr.html

Runway construction/ closure at EWR - 4L/22R closure, April 4?- June 1, some reductions til June15, and closed again Sept 20-30, 2014

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel
        Print Wikipost

EWR AirTrain to be Suspended for 75 Days Starting May 1 (Now Open as of 3 July 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
        Originally Posted by dinoscool3
        The train station, other than emergency exits, has no entrances to the outside world. Only Amtrak/NJ Transit and the Air Train.
        There's no public vehicular entrance, but they can run shuttles to it, no? Haven't they done that before?

Originally Posted by transportprof
        I had a transportation professor who taught that 'Monorails are the transportation mode of the future, and they always will be" around the time that the Newark Airtrain was being planned.
        I find it genuinely puzzling that that was the belief at some point. It's like the hyperloop -- ORLY people, you think that building these ridiculous monorail tracks and/or an enormous tube will somehow be cheaper than building rail?
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:53 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
        Are there shuttles that will run connections between the terminals? (Yes, there's the A-C shuttle airside, but not so helpful if landslide or need non-UA/*A as applicable.)
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:57 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT
        Why on earth would they force people to downtown Newark rather than just run a shuttle from the EWR train station?
        In an odd way, they do that now. When I went online and ask for routes from EWR to points west (let's just say Princeton Junction) every suggested route had me going into Newark Penn Station and then changing to a train the STOPPED at EWR on its way back west.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:57 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
        Originally Posted by mgcsinc
        I find it genuinely puzzling that that was the belief at some point. It's like the hyperloop -- ORLY people, you think that building these ridiculous monorail tracks and/or an enormous tube will somehow be cheaper than building rail?
        Monorails are definitely not the transportation system of the future, but they do have their benefits. For example, when building subways are prohibitively expensive, monorails are great cost-effective solutions, especially in urban areas. They're also good in "sight-seeing" areas, such as Vegas by allowing above-ground trains that are much cheaper to build and operate. They shouldn't replace true high-speed trains, etc. But they can compliment in *certain* situations.

In the case of an airport link, I definitely believe a monorail makes more sense than building a full rail for such a short route.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
        Originally Posted by joshwex90
        Are there shuttles that will run connections between the terminals? (Yes, there's the A-C shuttle airside, but not so helpful if landslide or need non-UA/*A as applicable.)
        It is possible to walk between the terminals at the arrivals (lower) level. That's what I'd do this summer, unless I had a boatload of luggage.

Now if it were only possible to walk to the rental car pick up area.....
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
        Any word on transport to/from rental car facilities?

Shuttle busses maybe?
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
        Originally Posted by joshwex90
        Monorails are definitely not the transportation system of the future, but they do have their benefits. For example, when building subways are prohibitively expensive, monorails are great cost-effective solutions, especially in urban areas. They're also good in "sight-seeing" areas, such as Vegas by allowing above-ground trains that are much cheaper to build and operate. They shouldn't replace true high-speed trains, etc. But they can compliment in *certain* situations.

In the case of an airport link, I definitely believe a monorail makes more sense than building a full rail for such a short route.
        The cost of the EWR monorail, plus the EWR station on the Northeast corridor, could have paid for a PATH train extension in the 1990s, which would have served both interterminal transfers and intercity connections a lot better than the current schmozzle.
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

The train station, other than emergency exits, has no entrances to the outside world. Only Amtrak/NJ Transit and the Air Train.
        Originally Posted by fjfv19
        2) The Air Train simply not functioning, and having to take a bus from EWR NJTransit Stop to the airport.
        These two statements seem to be in conflict, no access other than NJ Transit or Air Train - vs. buses run from the EWR stop when the Air Train isn't functioning. Which is correct?

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
        You can walk between terminals, they even have a covered walkway between B and C.
        They will have to have a rental car shuttle bus it is far especially from C.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
        In the past, I have taken a bus shuttle from the terminals to the AirTrain station on the Northeast Corridor. It was a PITA, but it was possible. I don't remember how we accessed the station, and it may have required staffers at emergency exits or something. But it was done. And I remember it because the bus driver got lost on the way to the train station and had to circle all around Route 9 south.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
        LGA it is, hopefully they will restore mainline and take away some of the hourly ORD-EWR in favor of putting more mainline.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
        I had a transportation professor who taught that 'Monorails are the transportation mode of the future, and they always will be" around the time that the Newark Airtrain was being planned.
        I hear those things are awfully loud.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
        If UA wants to handle it in a nice way (though bad for all the ZFV-droppers), they should offer alternative routings to PHL.
        Hopefully they'll let you just drop the ZFV segment, while still letting you book it
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:09 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
        Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
        The station does have an access road that could be used fr bus service. The road is normally closed, though.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:10 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
        Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
        The cost of the EWR monorail, plus the EWR station on the Northeast corridor, could have paid for a PATH train extension in the 1990s, which would have served both interterminal transfers and intercity connections a lot better than the current schmozzle.
        A PATH extension to the EWR rail station is supposedly coming -- at a cst of about $2billion.
        Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
        Originally Posted by milepig
        These two statements seem to be in conflict, no access other than NJ Transit or Air Train - vs. buses run from the EWR stop when the Air Train isn't functioning. Which is correct?
        They are not mutually exclusive statements. In my case, the Air Train wasn't working, so they had a special bus service run from EWR NJ Transit Station to EWR. On a normal day, there would be no scheduled bus service between the two (as dino is referencing) so the only option is the Air Train.

What others have suggested is to do as they have done in my situation, and run the bus from EWR NJ Transit Station and EWR which seems to makes perfect sense.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
        A PATH extension to the EWR rail station is supposedly coming -- at a cst of about $2billion.
        I can guarantee:
        1) Cost overruns. Can't justify the project by stating the true cost! Better to start, blow through the $2 bn and then say "we can't stop now!" and submit a massive change order.
        2) A timetable which is minimal 1.5x as long as originally forecast.

Anyone want to bet against me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.