Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: United Gold
No wonder the FA asked if I wanted a splash of cranberry juice in my requested sparkling water no ice.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:45 pm

Limes usually run about around $25 a case, this morning they are $120. No wonder they are not serving limes. Lemons are high but not that bad. Jeff will never save his $2 billion with limes at current prices.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Yes, the lime shortage is real—and it’s affecting availability among many of our caterers, as well. As a result, we’ve temporarily replaced limes with lemons (in equal proportions) on board our flights. We expect to start re-provisioning limes in May.

In the meantime, perhaps it’s appropriate to follow the British/Swedish adage—“when life gives you lemons, order a gin & tonic”.

-UA Insider
You guys used to serve lobster as an appetizer on transcons a few years ago. Now can't even put out one lime for a domestic first cabin? At a time when AA and DL are increasing product offerings and UA is diminishing them, eventually the decline in product (and customers) has to hit home...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
NEW YORK (AP) -- Airline passengers might notice something missing these days from their vodka tonics or Diet Cokes: the lime.

A recent spike in the price of limes has caused some airlines — for now — to stop offering the fruit in their beverage service.

"We temporarily pulled limes about two weeks ago, due to skyrocketing lime prices," says Alaska Airlines spokeswoman Halley Knigge. She says the airline normally goes through about 900 limes a day.

Lime growers in the Mexican state of Michoacan have reduced their supply because of unrest caused by drug cartels and flooding from heavy rains. That, combined with drought in California and an overall growing demand for limes for margaritas, tacos and other dishes, has driven up prices to a three-year high.

The average advertised price of a lime in U.S. supermarkets was 56 cents last week, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That's up from 37 cents the week ending March 28 and 31 cents a year ago.

United Airlines has had to make do with lemons on some flights, saying the California drought has limited its lime supply.
Delta Air Lines and American Airlines both say they haven't made any changes at this point.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/airlin...202105173.html

So of the three largest airlines only one UA as of today are to cheap to provide limes.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
So besides fuel hedging, airlines should now be produce hedging

Just cant win
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
FWIW, PMUA and PMUS both cut out (no pun intended) both lemon and lime onboard shortly after September 11th.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
They take your lemon or lime order, then retreat to the galley to priorities in order

Ny based elites
Paid GF
Paid BF
GS
Other elites ( nothing left for them at this point)

If you don't get your choice you are offered a lime coloured blanket.

Just did a SEA SFO.

Asked for a line, got "who do you think we are? DL?"

^^^^ entire post

Happy to report that AA also had limes on Saturday, JFK-LAX in F as well as LAX-SMF on AAX.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
One more useless, nutty thread
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Correct, unless you want a lime slice on a $5,000 ticket in F. Give me my lime slice. Thank you.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Actually I hear that UA will be eliminating nuts to... that will be a 'nutty' thread.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Received an unsolicited lime slice in a cup of water on Delta 1888 today. I don't think I've ever seen this before. Don't know if it's normal for Delta, as I rarely fly them.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I'm sorry everyone - I have ALL the limes to myself. I found them at NRT....

Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So besides fuel hedging, airlines should now be produce hedging
Slightly OT: It was not until this week, upon seeing Coming to America, again, that I recalled Randolph and Mortimer Duke of Trading Places were looking forward to using the Prince's gift to relaunch their empire after their losses on orange futures.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Limes

I happen to agree in a sense that they should use local fresh produce when available, and perhaps in this case it isn't available. Plus I've never been impressed with their shriveled dry limes anyway.

Or just BYO Limes :-) My mother's lime tree makes the best limes I've ever tasted (in a margarita).. And they're ready!

I support the creation of the Nutty thread. Why are there no almonds on my sundae out of the USA?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
No problem bringing a back yard lime through security yesterday, ordered a G&T from FA, who promptly apologized for not having lime, and then was happy to accept and serve it in the GF cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.