FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Limes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565981-limes.html)

mkasperzak Apr 3, 2014 10:43 am

Limes

I was amazed to find that the international Lime shortage has hit United where it hurts. No more limes on United, at least for the time being as they have doubled in price! I think the flight attendants are pretty embarrassed to admit that they don't have limes. Who ever heard of a Gin & Tonic or Bloody Mary with lemons? Maybe we will see a lime surcharge in the near future.

SEA1K4EVR Apr 3, 2014 10:46 am

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek:

BYOL. :td:

CCIE_Flyer Apr 3, 2014 10:46 am

Dang it, in the Middle East and have been looking forward to that gin tonic all day. Not so much now...maybe I can smuggle my own aboard... :-/

Jackstay Apr 3, 2014 10:48 am

Neither lime nor lemon

I had a Bloody Mary on a UA midcon this week and it came with neither a lemon nor a lime. Besides the important contribution of the lime to the flavor, it is a lot harder blending the vodka into the mix with just a thin plastic stick.

EWR764 Apr 3, 2014 10:49 am

Now that they've been cut, I suspect they'll never come back, at least under this nickel-and-dime regime.

Billiken Apr 3, 2014 10:49 am

Originally Posted by mkasperzak (Post 22642083)
Maybe we will see a lime surcharge in the near future.

:rolleyes:
Don't give the bean counters on Wacker Drive any ideas.

Some sources are quoting $0.53/lime versus $0.21/lime a year ago.
Probably will start bringing some of my own.

Anybody know if limes are available in United Clubs?

mgcsinc Apr 3, 2014 10:50 am

An FTer should make a shtick out of bringing limes for the whole plane. The goalie of limes. :)

UA-NYC Apr 3, 2014 10:51 am

Add it to the list of "you don't save $2B by..." thread

CCIE_Flyer Apr 3, 2014 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Billiken (Post 22642130)
Don't give the bean counters on Wacker Drive any ideas.

This is the regime that brought us Dewar's white label in int'l F, after all. :(

SEA1K4EVR Apr 3, 2014 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 22642136)
An FTer should make a shtick out of bringing limes for the whole plane. The goalie of limes. :)

That's a good idea. I'm flying SEA-SFO-JFK tomorrow in biz. I assume the TSA would allow a bag of limes?

aacharya Apr 3, 2014 10:55 am

I got limes two weeks ago in F.

Can we confirm other experiences recently that we have no more limes?

As much as we like to expand one flyers' experience to 'new policy', more often than not, it's a one-off/FA miscommunication.

If they do go, then yes, it's yet another service cut that is just annoying. Vodka/club really goes well with lime.

milepig Apr 3, 2014 10:59 am

I was amazed to find that the international Lime shortage has hit United where it hurts. No more limes on United, at least for the time being as they have doubled in price! I think the flight attendants are pretty embarrassed to admit that they don't have limes. Who ever heard of a Gin & Tonic or Bloody Mary with lemons? Maybe we will see a lime surcharge in the near future.

Only about half the world, where G&Ts are routinely made with lemons rather than limes.

CCIE_Flyer Apr 3, 2014 11:00 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 22642171)
I assume the TSA would allow a bag of limes?

In reality thinking probably not. Can see issues with that (a friend once told me of how he and his buddies used to inject watermelons full of Everclear in order to get booze into their college football stadium, so nefarious activity would be admittedly far-fetched, yet at least remotely conceivable - esp where a whole bag would be concerned).

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 22642196)
Only about half the world, where G&Ts are routinely made with lemons rather than limes.

It actually can be a nice change for those of us accustomed to limes but it sounds as though those have been yanked as well...

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 22642216)
Exactly what I was about to say. GnTs are originally made with lemons IIRC. I hate GnT with lime and make sure I get it with a lemon or a cucumber:D.

Ah, if only Hendrick's were even a remote possibility, even in int'l F!

hiima Apr 3, 2014 11:01 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 22642196)

Exactly what I was about to say. GnTs are originally made with lemons IIRC. I hate GnT with lime and make sure I get it with a lemon or a cucumber:D.

RockinPete Apr 3, 2014 11:06 am

Sweden. When you ask for a lime there, they know you're an American even if you ask for it in perfect Swedish.