Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: VAG
I'm gonna start painting lemons green and selling them to unsuspecting fools.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Just read that a case of limes is now at $125 this week, and climbing.

It was around $30 a case just a few months ago. I guess UA is out of luck, having a FA "swing by" the 99 cent store to pick up a few bags prior to the flight. I guess the drug cartel is branching out. What next, buying Burger King franchises? Now that would be a Whopper!

Perhaps UA could still stock limes, but charge $1 a wedge. 3 for $2. Flew 2 DL flt's, both had limes. UA is rock solid on getting that $2B is savings. What next Ice?

In Europe and Asia, Ice is not as popular as in the USA. Just like a G&T is served with a lemon. Perhaps the "new UA" wants to be "suave" and only serve the finest things in life. A lemon wedge with one Ice Cube.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Presumably, this boils down to some US import ban on lime justified by some spurious USDA excuse - I've certainly seen no signs of any lime shortage on any other continents. In fact, in Brazil, lemons are only found in higher-end stores, and sold at a very considerable premium.
Hmmm...

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but the fact is that disease and bad weather have virtually obliterated the current lime crop in the Mexican states Oaxaca and Guerrero, plus the drug cartels are currently prohibiting transport of (non-narcotic) agricultural crops in Michoacan.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Should have bought a lime farm. DL's not the only one who can vertically integrate.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
It's remarkable how economic theory predicts human behavior to a tee. When the price of one crop goes up, people flock to get into the business.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Isn't a while ago UA had decided to cut lemon in Y replace with lime, and only F and C get both lemon and lime ?

If it is because of the lime shortage and they bring back lemon in Y, it would be a thumbs up at least for me, as I always prefer lemon than lime with my Coke.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I feel dumb but I never knew United offer Lime.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: MVPG
I know it's a UA thread, but had all the chunky lime slices I could want with each of my sparkling waters on Delta F this past week and weekend.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I feel dumb but I never knew United offer Lime.
Welcome to real airlines. Yes, some serve limes in FC, C, and Y. Some also provide amenity kits, as well as free booze in Y, as well as wi-fi, etc. on International flts.

UA = NO. Welcome to "the friendly skies"

Shame this airline took the Lorenzo path of business. A once great carrier took a left when a right turn was proper.

If I pay $2000+ for a seat in FC, I can not get a slice of lime in a G&T?

"Texas Think" again. (Sorry - If out of line - I lived in the Lone Star State for a 4+ years). Texas International, People Express style of business.

I know limes have tripled in price the past few weeks. So a person paying full F gets to suck a lemon to save 30 cents a wedge. It's a win-win. Another brilliant move by UA. (that 30 cent lime wedge might cut into UA's profits).

Suck it up and cut a lime. If I want a lemon I'd fly WN.

On a side note, anyone fly WN lately? Do they still offer limes? I bet they do.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by cranky1K
What about J and F?
They take your lemon or lime order, then retreat to the galley to priorities in order

Ny based elites
Paid GF
Paid BF
GS
Other elites ( nothing left for them at this point)

If you don't get your choice you are offered a lime coloured blanket.

Just did a SEA SFO.

Asked for a line, got "who do you think we are? DL?"

Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by kettle1

Suck it up and cut a lime. If I want a lemon I'd fly WN.

Two lime slices served with my Bloody Mary on Sunday April 6th on WN. $5 minis and streaming pre-recorded programming that didn't require an app. (To be fair, to watch LiveTV you have to download the app either before boarding or pay for the WiFi to download it - but that's going OT)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Limes were flowing freely in the EW UA Club on Saturday, 05 April.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:42 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Lime shortage temporary - back in May

Hi everyone,

Yes, the lime shortage is real—and it’s affecting availability among many of our caterers, as well. As a result, we’ve temporarily replaced limes with lemons (in equal proportions) on board our flights. We expect to start re-provisioning limes in May.

In the meantime, perhaps it’s appropriate to follow the British/Swedish adage—“when life gives you lemons, order a gin & tonic”.

Originally Posted by hiima
Exactly what I was about to say. GnTs are originally made with lemons IIRC.
Originally Posted by RockinPete
Sweden. When you ask for a lime there, they know you're an American even if you ask for it in perfect Swedish.
-UA Insider
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat and MM
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
That's a good idea. I'm flying SEA-SFO-JFK tomorrow in biz. I assume the TSA would allow a bag of limes?
I brought a 3 lbs back of clementines yesterday domestically... so no issues, there
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat and MM
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Yes, the lime shortage is real—and it’s affecting availability among many of our caterers, as well. As a result, we’ve temporarily replaced limes with lemons (in equal proportions) on board our flights. We expect to start re-provisioning limes in May.

In the meantime, perhaps it’s appropriate to follow the British/Swedish adage—“when life gives you lemons, order a gin & tonic”.

-UA Insider
It's a money making opportunity for passengers... bring a bag of lime slices and auction each to the highest bidder!

While understandable that there is a shortage, it appears that other carriers have been able to source them. Is this just going the way of the olives for Martinis? Many of us in Business Schools used the American case study to explore cost savings gone wrong.

I can confirm that on Friday and Sunday, the FAs were embarrassed to admit that there were no limes for G&Ts (the preferred US recipe). This is a very small thing, but definitely a major damage hit to the already shaky brand perception. It was obviously enough to warrant a multi-page thread on here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.