Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
I noticed my neighborhood Chipotle is now stocking limes when before they only had lemons. Is the crisis abating or does my neighborhood have an upscale Chipotle?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by FTstudent
No limes EWR-LIM last Friday. I asked the FA while boarding if they had limes. He assured me they had plenty of limes. Sure enough my first in-flight drink was a G&T served with a lemon. I suppose the FA who guaranteed the limes could have gotten hungry during ascent and ate them.

I handed the FA the lime I brought with me. He cut it up and served it with my drinks. Apparently they don't have anything sharper than a dinner knife up there. The wedges looked like they had been gnawed out of the lime.
While it may seem obvious to us native English speakers, google search the difference between lemons and limes in other languages, and you'll quickly see that depending on the region/language, some have have different words for these very different fruits, others do not. I have a couple friends from Mexico who always say "lemons" to refer to both lemons and limes. For example:
Lima menas Lime (Green)
Limón means Lemon (Yellow)

However, in certain Latin American countries this can vary,

in Colombia: lima is lemon and limón is lime
in Mexico: limón is used for both limes and lemons
in Ecuador: lima is used for both limes and lemons
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Cool

I just got a battlefield upgrade on 1026 from DCA-ORD.

FA graciously offered to take my coat and then asked for my beverage order. Without remembering this thread, I asked for a water with lemon. She told me they have no lemons or limes and brought me water without lemon.

Then, a minute later, she appeared with a blue plastic stirring implement on which was impaled a small slice of lemon. "Found one."

Too bad I didn't ask for a lime.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
UA241 from ORD-SEA yesterday sadly had no lemons or limes. I had to drink my sparkling water with nothing
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No limes in PS C yesterday JFK-LAX
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by DErg
UA241 from ORD-SEA yesterday sadly had no lemons or limes. I had to drink my sparkling water with nothing
Talk about your First World tragedies!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Unlike UA my DL flights had limes. Got 2 giant slices in my Margarita. There was no lime shortage on my 9 DL segments this month. AS stopped giving them out for a short time but was back fairly quick
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Talk about your First World tragedies!
It has emotionally scarred me to the point where I'm considering filing a DOT complaint about the lack of limes
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
Unlike UA my DL flights had limes. Got 2 giant slices in my Margarita. There was no lime shortage on my 9 DL segments this month.
+1
I was on UA, DL, & UA flights last week. Only UA had no limes. AA & DL had limes aplenty in flight.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm still trying to figure who made this decision.

I assume that catering is supplied on a set price contracted basis. $xx per beverage can, $yy for a snack plate, etc. And, I'd assume $zz for bar setup (lemons, Limes, etc.)

So, did someone in the catering company call and say "we're going to need to increase the cost of the bar setup due to the price of limes"? Does the contract even allow for flexible costs based on such cost changes?

Then, who in UA decided to not accept the change and instead striking limes from the standard catering set up? I assume not Jeffie. Some catering cost manager who needs to work within a strict budget?

There isn't a Lime famine, just higher prices caused by a shortage. They're available. Some person decided to cut them, I doubt the caterers have the power to just stop supplying them. I also doubt that what they supply for a typical domestic flight amounts to much more than a single lime, we we're talking, what, $.50 more per flight??
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by milepig
There isn't a Lime famine, just higher prices caused by a shortage. They're available. Some person decided to cut them, I doubt the caterers have the power to just stop supplying them. I also doubt that what they supply for a typical domestic flight amounts to much more than a single lime, we we're talking, what, $.50 more per flight??
You have to remember that UAL owns its own caterer, which changes the dynamic. Plus, any caterer worth its snuff would negotiate a contract that allows it to pass variable food costs onto the airline and/or substitute products.

For what its worth, I was on an AA flight yesterday from an outstation with no limes. It's the last time I will ever fly AA.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by CDKing
Unlike UA my DL flights had limes. Got 2 giant slices in my Margarita. There was no lime shortage on my 9 DL segments this month. AS stopped giving them out for a short time but was back fairly quick
Quiz for my fellow FT'rs. What airline was this little slice of heaven found on this past Wednesday?

Last edited by DL2SXM; May 3, 2014 at 6:57 am
Old May 3, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Quiz for my fellow FT'rs. What airline was this little slice of heaven found on this past Wednesday?
Unless you're smuggling Delta cups onto AA, I'm guessing DL
Old May 3, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by DL2SXM

Either Delta or Pan Am
Old May 3, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: United 1K
I bought a fish taco at Del Taco (a cheap fast-food place in So-Cal) and to my surprise, they included a nice large lime wedge with it. So, cheap fast-food restaurant includes a lime, but UA First class is too cheap? I feel like a sucker sticking with this now-patheticly run airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.