Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Worked pretty well my last two TPACs (789 and 77W). Domestic seems to be a real problem these days though.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:23 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Announced this morning it's down on IAD-SFO. FA said it's inop on 75% of the flights in her experience.

It hasn't worked for me yet this year, FWIW. Out on every single longhaul I've been on, and on the few domestic flights, too.
I should follow up that despite the crew announcing repeatedly that wifi was unavailable, it actually showed up and offered internet for sale. I didn't purchase, but was connected to check the flight progress, and as usual, some internet stuff made it through (got a few notifications while connected). That said, even the flight progress was spotty and unavailable for large parts of the flight...
Old May 25, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by prometa

I’d hope they are at least using 802.11n, which is significantly faster. The challenge is that the bandwidth is not per device, it’s per access point. (Or per antenna for some access points) 100 tablets and laptops all sharing even 300Mbps on a single access point is going to be barely serviceable. My guess is they use multiple access points through the plane to distribute the load.
Currently flying on a A320 from IAH to SAN and they're using 802.11ac:

Anyway, Wi-Fi was completely useless on my earlier MEX-IAH flight today but seems to be working pretty well this flight.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw
Anyway, Wi-Fi was completely useless on my earlier MEX-IAH flight today but seems to be working pretty well this flight.
If you were on a 737 then you would have only had service over the CONUS. That would be only about the last one-third of the flight.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LarryJ
If you were on a 737 then you would have only had service over the CONUS. That would be only about the last one-third of the flight.
Nope, A320s both legs. It was just extremely slow with DNS errors for most of the flight.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I made the stupid error of paying for a subscription...

...because I had a bunch of United flights coming up. So far the wi-fi has been unavailable on 3 of 4 flights taken.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lexdevil
...because I had a bunch of United flights coming up. So far the wi-fi has been unavailable on 3 of 4 flights taken.
I suggest use the united refund page to request a refund for this subscription purchase. I was granted a refund recently for my purchase of an one month north america subscription. In the refund request, I listed the date, flight#, origin/destination of my flights that had in-op wifi. In my case, the majority of the mainline flights I took in that month span had in-op wifi.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
UA Onboard Wifi Streaming

Has anyone had any luck streaming up in the air? The speeds are not bad but it seems UA has blocked all streams. I'm trying to stream the Rockets vs Warriors game tomorrow as I'll be up in the air for quite sometime.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: CO
We streamed the NCAA tourney on the CBS sports app from the air but I think they block most. It wasn't the best stream but definitely watchable with some cuts in and out. I wouldn't count on it working tho that's for sure!
Old May 28, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Blocking is the plan.

Internet video streaming is not supported. Video clips and streaming services provided by Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, YouTube, Vevo, etc., are not supported.

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and video or audio conferencing are expressly prohibited on board. This includes, but is not limited to, applications such as Skype™ and FaceTime®.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ight/wifi.html
Often1 likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:48 am

I streamed the season finale of game of thrones using a VPN
Old May 28, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was a a trans-con that had spotty Wifi service - could not even connect and then was able to connect but no Internet. The FA tried resetting. He made an announcement and said to go to united.com/unitedcares to claim compensation. Upon landing, an e-mail was already in my inbox - it was sent about 40 minutes before landing.

What I am wondering are:

1 - how did he get the request to the system to send the e-mail if the Internet was down?
2 - it seems this is the way to handle it but rare. Then you have to write to UA and get inconsistent compensation and sometimes snotty attitude. Are the Pursers supposed to do this every time? What would be the trick to get the Purser to do this so we can get compensation much easily and without feeling we are trying to squeeze something out of UA?

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They try to block streaming, but there are ways around it.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Has anyone had any luck streaming up in the air? The speeds are not bad but it seems UA has blocked all streams. I'm trying to stream the Rockets vs Warriors game tomorrow as I'll be up in the air for quite sometime.
Oh good, then everyone else will have painfully slow wifi...that will teach them to pay for wifi!
Old May 28, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JBord
Oh good, then everyone else will have painfully slow wifi...that will teach them to pay for wifi!
It doesn't work half the time anyways.

Originally Posted by jp12687
I streamed the season finale of game of thrones using a VPN
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.