Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
two of my last TWO flights had No internet working. It was really annoying, and this is on 777-200 with new Polaris. And no IFE either. s..t service.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Based on these reports I guess I got lucky. I flew two A-320s this week and on both flights the Wifi for the internet and for Private Screening worked quite well. Certainly better than it did on Southwest the next day.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:13 am

Wifi Services: Use at your own risk

Classy United

One tends to believe if you purchase a service, said services need to be rendered. If not, purchased services shall be refunded. Sounds fair to me, but guess I have been proven wrong.

On a flight about a month ago, purchased Wifi. Services ended up having issues immediately and about a half minute into me purchasing wifi the FA decides they need to reboot the system....this time leading to a total failure and wifi not working at all for rest of flight.

What do I do, well I submit a refund request....

UA responds finally with:

“Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee our WiFi services will always be functional in advance. Certain conditions, beyond the control of United, may prohibit services from functioning properly. Customers acknowledge these risks when purchasing services onboard.”

They eventually go on to tell me my refund request has been denied. Not even a few miles tossed my way.

Classy
Old May 13, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No kidding? Not even 1K? Can you dispute with the credit card company?
Old May 13, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by dank0014
Classy United

One tends to believe if you purchase a service, said services need to be rendered. If not, purchased services shall be refunded. Sounds fair to me, but guess I have been proven wrong.

On a flight about a month ago, purchased Wifi. Services ended up having issues immediately and about a half minute into me purchasing wifi the FA decides they need to reboot the system....this time leading to a total failure and wifi not working at all for rest of flight.

“Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee our WiFi services will always be functional in advance. Certain conditions, beyond the control of United, may prohibit services from functioning properly. Customers acknowledge these risks when purchasing services onboard.”

They eventually go on to tell me my refund request has been denied. Not even a few miles tossed my way.

Classy
seriously. were you expecting more from UA? Think about the company you are dealing with here.... Live and learn...
Old May 13, 2018, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is surprising. I ask for a wifi refund due to dysfunction about 1 time out of 4 or 5 (most recently within the past two weeks) and haven't had issues.

Have you tried writing to 1kvoice?
Old May 13, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is surprising. I ask for a wifi refund due to dysfunction about 1 time out of 4 or 5 (most recently within the past two weeks) and haven't had issues.

Have you tried writing to 1kvoice?
A real company concerned with CS would have the purser note the failure and everyone gets a refund automatically. But this is United, are you really surprised with the response that UA gave when he wrote in?
Old May 13, 2018, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
are you really surprised with the response that UA gave when he wrote in?
Yes, I thought I made that clear:
Originally Posted by Kacee
The customer care webform has a specific request line for wifi refunds and based on my own experience and what's been reported in this thread, they're usually pretty good about giving them.

I also had a good experience with a change fee refund due to illness earlier this year, and an outstanding cs response (including personal phone call) when I complained about a cabin cleaning issue last month.

Is UA perfect? No way. Do I think they're trying to screw their customers on a regular basis? Absolutely not.
Two Bee likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by username
Can you dispute with the credit card company?
Doing this may lead to unpredictable consequences affecting your future business with UA. I'd advise against doing this except if WiFi billing is entirely handled by a third party or if you don't plan on flying UA anymore. Try escalating HUCA before thinking of chargeback.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
file protest with credit card company
Old May 13, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Over the last several months United WIFI has become terrible. I had 5 flights in a row (some more than 3 hours) with no WIFI. Last week, on both DEN-SJC and SJC-DEN (mainline) the WIFI worked for only 45 minutes on each flight. Unless I hit a bad streak of flights, something seems to have changed for the worse. Over the last couple of years United WIFI wasn't great but it was usable for most of the fight.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dank0014
Classy United

Classy
This new response is way out of character compared to my prior experience. If I buy wifi and it doesn't work for more than half the period I paid for, then I submit a refund request and it's always been approved. Oddly enough, they approve the refund without acknowledging it, but I see the refund on my credit card statement.

I can see denying a refund if the service goes in and out due to cloud cover or whatever, but not on a total failure.

I'd like to see where United is asking customers to acknowledge the risk the service may not work if they pay for it.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mozilla
Doing this may lead to unpredictable consequences affecting your future business with UA. I'd advise against doing this except if WiFi billing is entirely handled by a third party or if you don't plan on flying UA anymore. Try escalating HUCA before thinking of chargeback.
This is a perfectly legitimate thing to file a CC dispute about. The customer tried using normal channels to obtain a refund for a service that was paid for but that was nt provided. That method failed.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
So I too have never had an issue getting a refund? I have also had a few recent trips where the crew actually did notify someone about it. Two weeks ago SFO to ORD I landed with a $150.00 Travel voucher waiting in my email for me because of WiFi.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
This is a perfectly legitimate thing to file a CC dispute about. The customer tried using normal channels to obtain a refund for a service that was paid for but that was nt provided. That method failed.
I'm not saying it's not a legitimate cause. However, in this case, the customer used a normal channel (singular). I strongly suggest trying the other diplomatic channels before going with the nuclear option. Looks like the response of the agent is a one-off, HUCA would be totally appropriate at this point.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29504037-post9.html
Kacee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.