Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
I have experienced this on Android Chrome browser. If you first type a single character into the password field, you can then paste in your password, delete the typed character.
Great advice! Will give this a shot next flight.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
On today's EWR-SFO 77W flight, the crew was insisting Wi-Fi was showing enabled (and the green checkmark and "Available" at the top of the screen confirmed this), but Wifi was still unavailable the whole flight. They reset the system twice, but same result.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Had a pleasant surprise on my IAD-SFO flight today - WiFi worked flawlessly. Reliability aside, I like the way UA has improved the interface. Switching between devices is easy, and I like that they finally remember my CC information.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
On my last two flights on a 739, United Wifi failed to activate after purchase. In both cases it worked for other people on the flight. I've attached the error message. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it have something to do with my computer? I tried it in both Chrome and IE, but it failed in both browsers.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Howard; Nov 8, 2017 at 9:47 am Reason: Clarified that error occurred after purchase.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
On today's EWR-SFO 77W flight, the crew was insisting Wi-Fi was showing enabled (and the green checkmark and "Available" at the top of the screen confirmed this), but Wifi was still unavailable the whole flight. They reset the system twice, but same result.
same issue NRT-EWR last week.

The FA was clueless. Kept saying "give it a few minutes" for the first 2.5 hours of the flight.

Then "we only get 2 re-starts so i dont want to do it yet"

Finally about 8 hours into the flight it came online.

Green checkmark said connected and the FA's systems were working. this was 100% some kind of activation server issue which no one knew how to handle.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jp12687
same issue NRT-EWR last week.

The FA was clueless. Kept saying "give it a few minutes" for the first 2.5 hours of the flight.

Then "we only get 2 re-starts so i dont want to do it yet"

Finally about 8 hours into the flight it came online.

Green checkmark said connected and the FA's systems were working. this was 100% some kind of activation server issue which no one knew how to handle.
What is your reason for thinking you know what the issue was?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Laptop problem

Second flight on a row that I've tried using my MacBook to watch Personal Device Entertainment, instead of my iPad. iPad works fine btw. But the laptop will hardly ever connect to United.com, and even less to Unitedwifi.com. Safari just stalls trying to download the pages. I found Chrome faster and more reliable for the free site browsing. But I follow the instructions to go to Unitedwifi.com and select Entertainment, but it doesn't go to that screen, it will only go to the information page about how to access WiFi. I have enabled flash and Java in the security preferences on Safari. Anybody know what would prevent the laptop from going to the entertainment menu page it should go to?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Just submitted my second complaint to 1KVoice, only 2 of my last 9 flights have had functioning wifi. All types of the other 7 aircraft had issues, including one 789 and one PS 777. I never had issues up until about 2 months ago. Seems like a trend here. And I just bought a monthly subscription, which I am asking for a refund on. Before, if wifi didnt work, I would promptly get a refund.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:45 pm

Brand new WiFi pain

So a new fun issue popped up today.

on my iPad I cannot get logged into WiFi. I keep getting a “failed to get coach’s value from session”

yet on my phone it works....anyone see this new leve of IT failure before?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
The cabin (with the doors closed) is one of the few places left to escape e-mails and work. A compatriot tried to entice me with a GoGo subscription after a few failed attempts I’ve just sworn off inflight wifi.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:34 am

On several recent flights, WiFi sign-up/payment has been spotty, though internet access remains steady. The net effect is that you can only buy access if you’re lucky enough to try while it will accept payment, but if you do get through, speeds are much higher than normal because far fewer people are using it. Downside is you can’t swap devices. On one flight, I paid for 2 hours of service but got 6, seemingly because the access system couldn’t turn my access back off.

Like others up-thread, seems like spotty activation server problems.

I wish UA would have contracted service to GoGo. UA’s WiFi is far less reliable, and far more expensive, than any of the American carriers I’ve flown recently.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:30 am

so has no one else seen that Captcha error recently? it was super bizarre and appears to just be more UA IT failures. They really need to get their act together on this stuff.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but this is the 2nd flight I've had THIS week with no personal device entertainment (PDE) no movies, nothing and NO internet. Really makes planning hard and disrupts the ability to keep working as expected.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Something is going on lately, it seems. Of my last five flights on UA (in the last two weeks):

- 2 had completely inoperative WiFi, as in the hardware is shut off and the United WiFi SSID isn't available (a p.s. 752 and 3-class 772)
- 1 had unitedwifi.com/Gogo redirect issues (another p.s. 752)
- 1 never was able to establish a satellite connection (A319)
- 1 actually worked normally (and well!) (A319)

Based on how long it took to hear back from 1kvoice about this (a lot longer than normal!) it seems that this is rather widespread. I did get a $200 ETC for all my trouble.

Anyone else noticing widespread problems lately?
Old May 7, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have been having significant issues with inflight entertainment system with my flights the last few flights and write-in. Gave up purchasing WiFi last year due to continual dropping. Been amassing ETCs (and using them).

However, my second flight today the inflight entertainment was perfect and was not continually asked to reconnect to the WiFi for the inflight entertainment . First flight had direct TV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.