Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
United wifi does not appear to support explicit congestion notification. Instead, throttling is done via dropped packets.
ECN wasn't prevalent when the current generation of Thales/GoGo/Panasonic AP's were designed. Apple mobile devices only support this since 2015 (iOS 9 or higher). I'm not sure how Android's state is these days.

Hopefully we'll see it in the next incarnation.

Last edited by mozilla; Jul 30, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:48 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
An interesting article on WSJ a few days ago on WiFi: https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-wi-...nes-1532520000

BTW I had to do work on a recent SFO-HKG beyond the fact I was pushing email that as pushing 10-20MB attachment the performance was pretty good. I even got skype phone call and text to work, no vidoe. In the past even got video to work for periods, YMMV of course!

There was times it was terrible and I filled a refund request and each time was refunded. So I can't complain about getting refund when it was terrible but wish it was always good and faster of course
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by chipmaster
An interesting article on WSJ a few days ago on WiFi: https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-wi-...nes-1532520000

BTW I had to do work on a recent SFO-HKG beyond the fact I was pushing email that as pushing 10-20MB attachment the performance was pretty good. I even got skype phone call and text to work, no vidoe. In the past even got video to work for periods, YMMV of course!

There was times it was terrible and I filled a refund request and each time was refunded. So I can't complain about getting refund when it was terrible but wish it was always good and faster of course
Skype and other APP phone calls are expressly prohibited. FAs are *very* strict about that. Recently I saw a passenger ignore a request to "hang up," and within a few minutes the captain was on the PA saying if he didn't cease, the plane would be diverted and the passenger removed by law enforcement.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

I have never received pro-active communication from UA relating to bad wifi.
Perhaps it is blocked? It comes from [email protected]

Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
Skype and other APP phone calls are expressly prohibited. FAs are *very* strict about that. Recently I saw a passenger ignore a request to "hang up," and within a few minutes the captain was on the PA saying if he didn't cease, the plane would be diverted and the passenger removed by law enforcement.
I am just surprised he was able to do it. I can barely push and email some times. Admittedly some of miles files are also large with attached images etc....
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA PltPro, Marriott Ambassador, National Executive,
Issue Purchasing as “Guest”

sorry if this has been answered.

i purchased a full-flight package on my iPhone just after takeoff when the internet box on the portal page became “available”

after i I entered my info and credit card, the screen showed up as “processing” and never actually processed. The problem was, for the remainder of the flight, I could not use internet in my iPhone as it perpetually was “processing.” Even an attempt to switch device was not allowed because “you have purchased an internet package as a guest”

does anyime kniw know a way I can get my iphone or United’s WiFi system to forget my device mid flight when I purchase as a guest?

Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Another flight without functioning WiFi

I am at about 50% of flights over the past few months without functional WiFi. I have written GS and they say a new upgraded system will soon be implemented...not sure what that means other than many more flights without WiFi.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Both of my flights yesterday had no WiFi. Starting to rethink my purchase of the monthly subscription
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by seadoc
I am at about 50% of flights over the past few months without functional WiFi. I have written GS and they say a new upgraded system will soon be implemented...not sure what that means other than many more flights without WiFi.
Probably at the same pace as the Polaris retrofit knowing UA
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
UA56 CDG/EWR 8 October - no wifi - FA states "crew knew that it didnt work but didnt report it:"
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
When are these "upgrades" supposed to happen? I have a lot of flights mid-Nov to mid-Dec, so I bought a monthly package, only to find out it's nearly worthless.

How is the 77W nearly the newest in the fleet and consistently has the worst wifi? I know it's not the route, because I fly trans-Pac on 787s and 772's a lot and generally they work reasonably enough. Also had a newly retrofitted 772 yesterday with Polaris and Premium Plus, absolutely useless wifi and that was GRU-ORD where there aren't satellite coverage issues. Glad I was sleepy on that flight.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:01 pm

Which aircraft types are the most likely to have functional Wi-Fi these days? I’ve had nothing but bad luck primarily on 739s.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Subscription wasted

I too am struggling to find working WiFi. Out of 8 flights in last 15 days, WiFi only worked on 2.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Yeah, been particularly terrible lately. Tagged inop on three of my last four EWR/SNA segments on 737-700, and on the fourth it only worked the last two hours.

I wonder if the equipment on a bunch of planes is simultaneously reaching some sort of lifetime, and reliability is plummeting?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
After inop for first 30 minutes UA1885 today, it seems to be working. Of course I got charged twice for it. $66 for EWR-SFO wifi

LMAO wifi went out for another 20 minutes just as I posted this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.