Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
It seemed like it was working on my flights for a long while, but my last three trips, two international and one domestic, it worked only for about a half an hour on one of the international legs, and not at all on the other legs. This is getting really annoying.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's never worked properly. It's been patchy at best.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:16 pm

I've never been able to copy paste in iOS on the login page. Anyone have this issue? I use LastPass, so I need to copy in my password.

Thank goodness LastPass autofill works flawlessly on my Android device, so I end up paying there or on my laptop and then transferring access to my iphone.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's never worked properly. It's been patchy at best.
It’s always been patchy, but at least somewhat useable. Something’s happened in the past few months to make it completely useless.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chavala

It’s always been patchy, but at least somewhat useable. Something’s happened in the past few months to make it completely useless.
Eh, more useless on average; not completely useless [excepting certain specific segments], IME.

I was reading a SEC filing (can't remember whose) and between the lines it seems that the root cause is utilization is much higher than previously, so you have more people fighting for the same finite bandwidth (both onboard individual flights and across the entire ecosystem) and of course performance will suffer.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Eh, more useless on average; not completely useless [excepting certain specific segments], IME.

I was reading a SEC filing (can't remember whose) and between the lines it seems that the root cause is utilization is much higher than previously, so you have more people fighting for the same finite bandwidth (both onboard individual flights and across the entire ecosystem) and of course performance will suffer.
That's probably als a big reason why the prices have increased.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: United 1K, Southwest Companion, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive
Originally Posted by docbert
So I tested this out on my 2 flights in the past few days. Both times I couldn't get to the purchase page at the gate as Internet wasn't available, but once we started taxiing I could.

On both occasions, before takeoff the prices were significantly higher than after takeoff. But what's interesting is that the prices offered also made no sense for the flight. eg, 1h/2h/whole flight pricing for a 1h30m flight. After takeoff the prices change to 30m/1h/whole flight.

Both times, the aircraft had come in on a flight longer than mine. My guess is that before takeoff it's showing the prices for the previous flight. Around/after take-off, it flips over to the current flight. So it's not so much that it's cheaper before takeoff, just different.
Noticed it on my flight last sunday ORD->IAH. I have a theory that its related to the new Chase CC credit (25% off) that members now get. Price was originally lower before logging in
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sabre1041
Price was originally lower before logging in
The price-higher-after-login is a different issue that's also been discussed above. If you see this, please report it to United. Their claim so far is that it's an error, but the more people that report it, the more likely it will be fixed.

I've had 4 flights in the past few days, and unlike my 2 last week, not a single one had Internet available before takeoff so I couldn't test my theory any further...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
United Wi-Fi Nearly Causes Assault

On my last flight (which will remain unidentified because I am a witness), a flyer in F, seated just behind me, tried to assault a FA over a Wi-Fi dispute. Luckily, a guy in row 1 grabbed the nutcase and stopped him. I was watching a movie, so I didn't hear what was said before the guy was restrained, but I was told by other F pax that he threatened the FA with physical violence, supposedly because she wouldn't contact the captain about the non-functioning Wi-Fi.

My first thought was, "What a tool." But then I was thinking that this guy couldn't possibly be a UA FF because everyone knows that UA's Wi-Fi is notoriously unreliable. He sure acted important, screaming loudly, while being restrained, that he was a CEO of a big corporation. It was funny because nothing bad happened, but I sure wouldn't want to work for this guy.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
My first thought was, "What a tool." But then I was thinking that this guy couldn't possibly be a UA FF because everyone knows that UA's Wi-Fi is notoriously unreliable. He sure acted important, screaming loudly, while being restrained, that he was a CEO of a big corporation. It was funny because nothing bad happened, but I sure wouldn't want to work for this guy.
My rule of thumb is that if I need WiFi (e.g. to stay on top of an email/Skype 4 Business thread assisting my team with supporting a client) it will either be completely nonfunctional or close enough to completely nonfunctional that I won't be able to accomplish my goal.
On the other hand, if I want WiFi (e.g. for entertainment, or just mild productivity in transit with no time sensitivity) it will work flawlessly from takeoff to touchdown.

So far this year that has been 100% accurate with my most recent 'need' flight beginning with a "There will be no WiFi service on this flight, so please don't ask" PA
JAaronT and zombietooth like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I find that the access point itself seems to buckle under load, especially on the Airbuses and 753s without DTV. I will often buy the wifi right after the double ding and it works fine. Then as people figure out it's on, the wifi connection (not internet itself) becomes unreliable, and sometimes I can't even get to unitedwifi.com. Other times it's working fine for me (albeit slow) if I log on early, then they reset because someone complains and I'm never able to get back on (or on just long enough to pay and then it stops working).
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Ive had a fair amount of success the past year using WiFi on TPAC routes. Today on 2396 SFO-BOS was deader that a doornail - no app connection, no WiFi, nothing, EXCEPT the payment page where I signed up for a month subscription. LOL! Very disappointing.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
1923 EWR-SEA paid for wi-fi, then it was reset when it stopped working, when it came back up I was prompted to pay again, it still didn't work, got two refunds and $125 ETC.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
What is up with United's wifi these days? I don't recall having any issues with the wifi this time last year but it has been been horrible so far this year. Every single flight in these past 2 months, the wifi either stopped working within 30 minutes, or was unavailable the entire flight.

I have been refunded the wifi costs sometimes proactively but I have had to write to 1k voice a few times to get the refund. I don't want to be serial complainer but I feel like I will have wifi issues every single flight.

On one of the flights in F, the FA gave me a $50 ETC and refunded the wifi.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA 1205 KOA/LAX 737-900 Ship #3828 . No overwater internet, wifi in plane failed about 1 hour into the flight. Two reboots didn't help.

UA 1206 LAX/ORD 737-900 Ship #3466 Wifi connection seemingly working, no throughput for anything (entertainment system or internet). FA in First refused to try reboot saying "that never works".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.