FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565560-united-wifi-unusable-problems-connecting-united_wi-fi.html)

Jflynn64 Apr 1, 2014 8:43 pm

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Have used the wifi now twice on cross country trips and it is abysmal. The service is much worse than AA or US Air.

sbm12 Apr 1, 2014 8:44 pm

Which system? UA has three different ones.

LarkSFO Apr 1, 2014 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jflynn64 (Post 22632696)
Have used the wifi now twice on cross country trips and it is abysmal. The service is much worse than AA or US Air.

April Fools?

Jflynn64 Apr 1, 2014 9:13 pm

Sorry, the United sponsored one on the Airbuses.

UrbaneGent Apr 1, 2014 9:30 pm

I was on the last flight yesterday night LGA-ORD and the wifi was abysimal.

Ahuch Apr 1, 2014 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22632764)
April Fools?

:D Pretty slow rollout of wifi...

cosflyer Apr 1, 2014 10:49 pm

flew ord-hnl 2 weeks ago......all inflight entertainment was gone, wifi was a joke and had to rely on the laptop(which i swore i would not bring)and my daughter and her friend making faces at me for 9 hrs as entertainment.....get a good wifi system going or just leave it ala spirit....rediculous

nonstarter Apr 2, 2014 3:25 pm

Only one data point but I used united wifi (airbus) a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Connection was fast, price ($7) was right.

of course, that's the only time I've even seen it offered.

danhunterpost Apr 2, 2014 3:48 pm

Flew BKK->NRT->SFO->ORD a few weeks back. Honestly Wifi was much better than I expected especially on the TPAC leg from NRT->SFO. Not sure if this is related since OP was refering to cross country trips but thats my 2 cents.

sbm12 Apr 2, 2014 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by danhunterpost (Post 22637907)
Not sure if this is related

Same hardware. Probably talking to different satellites along the way, but it is the same kit.

Delta3MM Apr 2, 2014 3:57 pm

Flew BKK->NRT->SFO->ORD a few weeks back. Honestly Wifi was much better than I expected especially on the TPAC leg from NRT->SFO. Not sure if this is related since OP was refering to cross country trips but thats my 2 cents.

I did the same route last week, and I thought it was acceptable. I was surprised how useful it was.

Billy

hirohito888 Apr 2, 2014 3:58 pm

I agree, I did 2 TPAC on 747 recently and both had Wifi that was stable and fast enough to keep me work productive.

The wifi on 737 is also pretty good, especially at the $2/h price.

jasonp622 Apr 2, 2014 4:02 pm

i haven't had any problems with the wifi the last couple months on several flights.

hobo13 Apr 2, 2014 4:06 pm

I had a 320 a week or so ago where I pulled out my laptop just to check out the wi-fi. Of the big 3 browsers, only Firefox could load www.united.com. I played around fixing some seat assignments, and it literally took me about 7 minutes just to change seats on a 4 segment itinerary.

Admittedly, I didn't pay anything for the service, just holy cow, that's just unbelievable. Who pays for this stuff?

chavala Apr 2, 2014 4:20 pm

BKK-NRT-SFO Same for me. I was surprised how well it worked after hearing all the complaints.