Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
United Wifi "Bait and Switch" Pricing

More curious if anyone else has seen this than anything else... For the 2nd time since last Monday (or 2nd time in 8 flight segments) I've gone to buy UWF and the portal has offered the price as $5.99 or X miles for the full flight (only option). I click through to buy, log into my MP account and the price jumps to $7.99 (still full flight is the only option).

It's mildly irritating but I still shell out the extra $2. This is on UA 632 (A320, ORD-IAD) this morning, can't remember exactly which segment the last time was but it was a 73-something so not like it was the same satellite tech [at least AFAIK]
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
More curious if anyone else has seen this than anything else... For the 2nd time since last Monday (or 2nd time in 8 flight segments) I've gone to buy UWF and the portal has offered the price as $5.99 or X miles for the full flight (only option). I click through to buy, log into my MP account and the price jumps to $7.99 (still full flight is the only option).

It's mildly irritating but I still shell out the extra $2. This is on UA 632 (A320, ORD-IAD) this morning, can't remember exactly which segment the last time was but it was a 73-something so not like it was the same satellite tech [at least AFAIK]
Screenshot and report to UA please! Even if not for reimbursement just for them to be aware of the issue.

I always log in first, maybe I should stop and see. I’ll report if I see discrepancies on my series of flights this week, but as of now, I haven’t.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:04 am

Yes, has been reported more than once in the consolidated UA Wi-Fi thread.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes, happened to me a few weeks ago - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29792034-post347.html

Reported it and they gave a full refund (even though I only asked for the difference in price to be refunded), plus they forwarded it to their "technology department for internal review and any repairs necessary will be done"

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it's a bug and not actual "bait and switch", but it still needs to be fixed...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Personalized pricing after you login? Since you keep shelling out for it.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
Personalized pricing after you login? Since you keep shelling out for it.
So it's the passenger's fault
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by docbert
Yes, happened to me a few weeks ago - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29792034-post347.html

Reported it and they gave a full refund (even though I only asked for the difference in price to be refunded), plus they forwarded it to their "technology department for internal review and any repairs necessary will be done"

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it's a bug and not actual "bait and switch", but it still needs to be fixed...
+1: please report it.

It is an illegal practice (I believe) and I am certain United would want to fix it, and the fact docbert was told it would be fixed and it has not been is quite concerning.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
It is an illegal practice (I believe) and I am certain United would want to fix it, and the fact docbert was told it would be fixed and it has not been is quite concerning.
It would likely qualify as a deceptive practice that is exclusively within DOT's jurisdiction.

It's no surprise they haven't fixed it. The errors that favor the airline never get fixed quickly, if they get fixed at all.
Xyzzy and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It would likely qualify as a deceptive practice that is exclusively within DOT's jurisdiction.

It's no surprise they haven't fixed it. The errors that favor the airline never get fixed quickly, if they get fixed at all.
What's that saying- Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

Yes I know not word for word.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:28 am

I noticed something interesting on my last 2 flights - if you are able to login to the unitedwifi and purchase a package during boarding, the price is significantly lower than if you purchase it 'in air'. I keep trying to prove that theory but the majority of the time I can't even load the unitedwifi page unless we are in cruising altitude...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Screenshot and report to UA please! Even if not for reimbursement just for them to be aware of the issue.

I always log in first, maybe I should stop and see. I’ll report if I see discrepancies on my series of flights this week, but as of now, I haven’t.
I'll try to remember to take screenshots on my next flights (last flight of the day today was on a 145 so the wifi didn't work so well ) but I did forward the receipt to 1K Voice with a polite note and asking them to forward it to whomever can fix it [I also explicitly asked them not to refund it, because if they do I'll spend 20x that in billable time explaining/documenting the $2 refund/discrepancy on the corporate card]

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I noticed something interesting on my last 2 flights - if you are able to login to the unitedwifi and purchase a package during boarding, the price is significantly lower than if you purchase it 'in air'. I keep trying to prove that theory but the majority of the time I can't even load the unitedwifi page unless we are in cruising altitude...
I'm wondering if you're seeing a variation on the bug/glitch/whatever you want to call it that I encountered.

To some extent it depends on the aircraft type/particular WiFi technology, e.g. on GoGo aircraft you're SOL below 10k, period. On the Airbii I usually don't have any luck unitl >10k, though that seems to be more of a function of the FMS link not pushing flight data for the WiFi system to know what to offer/charge [symptom: internet access is shown as "available", walled garden sites work, but the flight data pane shows "unavailable", and get an error page trying to purchase], and can be available lower...or not at all. On the LTV (737/753 fleets, IIRC) platform, I have much greater success at getting things kicked off on the ground, but there's still a bit of a FMS dependency that can slow things down.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
...These days it is the lack of the WiFi for the inflight entertainment which is supposedly free but only available if the WiFi is working which it has not on most of my recent flights. I am now taking a book with me on my domestic legs but I do not know why United keeps saying there is inflight entertainment - it does not work on my domestic legs( except LAX-SAN which is only time for one quick 20 minute TV show).
Discovered the trick to make WiFi work. Took two books with me and the WiFi worked from SAN-DEN (UA1982) with no interruptions. Was able to watch most of a movie. Flight landed early so still to watch the last few minutes.

WiFi not working? Scare it with a book or two!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Just to add to the log because it's started to get ridiculous -- BOS-ORD yesterday wifi inop for first 2 hours; FA restarted 3 times before it finally became log-in-able. Frequency of issues is mind boggling -- I would think someone would notice the massive holes in their wifi revenue patterns and do something about it.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:51 pm
formerly RZachSmith

Weird experience Tuesday morning IAD-LAX. Wifi appeared to be working fine and i was able to pay and sign in easily.

Then, 5-10 minutes into the flight, the connection would basically become unusable (gmail would tell me there was no connection). But oddly, I could switch to my phone and it would work there...for 5-10 minutes, before crapping out the same way. Basically I was able to toggle back and forth between the devices and have a usable connection on one of the most of the time, but it never just worked the way it should.

Definitely been very frustrated with domestic wifi for the last couple of months. But I've seen a few more good movies!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
So I tested this out on my 2 flights in the past few days. Both times I couldn't get to the purchase page at the gate as Internet wasn't available, but once we started taxiing I could.

On both occasions, before takeoff the prices were significantly higher than after takeoff. But what's interesting is that the prices offered also made no sense for the flight. eg, 1h/2h/whole flight pricing for a 1h30m flight. After takeoff the prices change to 30m/1h/whole flight.

Both times, the aircraft had come in on a flight longer than mine. My guess is that before takeoff it's showing the prices for the previous flight. Around/after take-off, it flips over to the current flight. So it's not so much that it's cheaper before takeoff, just different.
justsawaufo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.